1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN's biased highlights

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Another Brother, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Everytime Yao got dunked on last year it was on SC. Yao dunked on Zo last night in an aggressive fashion and nothing, no top 10, not even a mention. What gives?

2. tolne57

tolne57 Contributing Member

Yeah, I noticed that too. Plus, MoT didn't even get a mention even though he helped the team tremendously.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is not a black man

;)

sorry couldn't resist.

4. Another Brother

Come on DaD, I'm in recovery;)

5. defire

defire Member

this make me unhappy too. the kobe dunk on Yao, the shark dunk on Yao, was rolling again and again. :(
    but the Yao dunk on Ben Wallace was not shown that much at all.
    it's a shame of ESPN:mad:

6. Rob English

Rob English Member

On Southwest Sport Report, they did show Yao's dunk on Zo. Also, NBA TV re-played the dunk at two different angles repeatedly. I don't even bother to watch NBA highlights on ESPN anymore. They need to hire an un-biased video highlight editor.

7. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I will come out and say that I think it is a form of racism. Last year you have everyone and their momma talking about how Yao is gonna be a flop, why? Because the man is Chinese. Granted, some of it has to do with the fact that he is 7'6 and the other players of that height haven't been superstars, bu I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that he is Chinese. It is an ego hit to some of the members of the establishment in the NBA that an Asian man could potentially come in and do very well in their league or even dominate them.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

When your 7'6" and you get dunked on, everyone will see it. Nothing to do with racism. Think about how many times you've seen the K.J. highlight on Hakeem, or the K.J. highlight on Mark Eaton.

9. Another Brother

Get ready for the onslaught, I've been there.:cool:

10. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

I think it's because of the "business as usual" manner that Yao does his work. He dunks soooooo easily. In a few years, I expect a backlash against the big guy the same way that Shaq got.

The, "Can't root for Goliath" thing...

Oh well. He's ours! :D

11. DavidS

By the way, when Shaq dunks (like always) it doesn't get Top 10 list either.
    Most of the time it's guards or forwards flying through the air that make the list (specular pass, dunk, or hail mary).

12. Another Brother

It did today.

13. DavidS

The underdog dunking on the dominate player (hyped or not) will get the press. Yao was a lot of hype last year. So, ESPN likes to show the hyped ones get stuffed "in their face."

If Boki dunked on Shaq (I'm dreaming), you can bet the farm they'd be showing that. Showing Yao dunk on lesser players is "not news."

14. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

i disagree, i think they will appeal to their viewers. the percentage of white and black viewers is most likely much higher than asian. white and black viewers make up the majority of the percentage of the viewers of ESPN. This is why all the announcers on the channel are white or black with the sole exception of michael kim.

15. DavidS

lost_elephant,

Do you think that ESPN HAS to show a Yao hightlight every night?
    And if they don't then it's discrimination?

ESPN follows the market. That's true. If you want them to listen to you, then buy their products. Write them. Complain. But that wont change the fact that Yao might not any highlights to show every night.

So, what you say is partialy true. But so is what I said in my other post.

16. munco

munco Member

Yao is no longer the flavor of the month. He's still one of the league's most popular players, but.....
    the league is making sure that Lebron pans out and is plastered in our face to the point that everyone outside of Cleveland will either love him or hate him.

17. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

On ESPN, good fundamental basketball doesn't equal two points any more. DavisS, ESPN has never shown a Yao play in his favor, only when he gets dunked on. I can't think of another star in the league that didn't have at least one highlight dedicated to them in the last 2 years.

18. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

Not that it matters of course. Just let the Rox go out and do their thing.

19. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

It has always been this way for Rockets, and probably always will be. Ever since they beat the Knicks in the finals the big media in NYC has been disgruntled against the rockets, IMO. My favorite was the "lack" of a commemorative SI magazine plan when the rockets beat the Knicks. One of my all time favorite memories of that year was the victory celebration and the SI guy getting booed so loudly you couldn't hear him at all.

Anyhow, I think this bias is always there a little bit due to this, and the rockets more "business-like" attitude. THey don't yell and scream on the dunk or glare and thump their chests generally. You need to look stupid and swell your ego becuse of your 2pt dunk to be on sportscenter or espn. :rolleyes:

20. rocketstrike

rocketstrike Member

what is ESPN?