1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kareem Rush "drawing special interest from Houston"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Kayman, Jun 8, 2002.

1. Kayman

Kayman Contributing Member

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Interesting. I do know the Rockets thought he was impressive in his workout, as were Butler and Stoudemire (which is why it's disturbing that Portland, of all teams, is trying to move up to get him). But if the Rockets use #15 on a two-guard, what does that say about Cuttino Mobley's future?

And he thought drafting a one was disrespectful.

I think if Stoudemire is on the board at #15 (and that's doubtful now) then I think he is the one (just my guess)

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

No where in the article does it state that Rush thinks HOU will pick him. We are one of about 8 teams that might consider him

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

It's possible, I like his game. He would be a prototypical SG with his 6'6" 214 pound body, but we need a protypical SF.

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clutch-We'd go with a Ming-Stoudemire draft, leaving Rice and Morris at SF? Interesting.

Rush is a has a prototype 2, no doubt about it. I'd bet if he's drafted at #15, he's wearing a cap that doesn't say "Rockets" on it by the end of the night.

If the rumors about Steve/Cat not wanting Ming are true, would there be any better way to piss them off? Draft Ming, and a 2 guard? Only way you could make those 2 madder would be passing on Dixon if he's available in round 2, hehe.

6. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

Its a smokescreen IMO, CD and Rudy are hyping him and Amare up so that they will go before the #15, and a better player falls.

7. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I don't see any way we're drafting Rush unless a deal has been in place since before the draft.

8. mfclark

mfclark Member

I think drafting Stoudemire and Ming would indicate that Griffin's place in the lineup - albeit not necessarily on the court - is as a SF somewhat along the wings. Truth be told, I see him more as a combo forward like KG than a true power forward down low. Griffin's strengths would play nicely off of the other two's respective strengths.

I, too, though am intrigued by Rush. He's got a lot of talent but is inconsistant. Unless the Rockets start drafting backup 2 guards or are making a deal, I can't see them taking Rush....

....unless they view Mobley as a small forward and want to go with a small lineup featuring Francis, Rush, and Mobley. Small, yes, but quick and will cause matchup problems on the offensive end. Along with Ming and Griffin in the post, it sets the Rockets up for an inside/out game like the Magic, with the guards slashing or in isos and the bigmen outside to hit the outside/mid-range jumper. Could be effective in the west, with the quality of big men, in opening up the driving lanes.

But that said, I don't see the Rockets taking Rush unless for another team.

9. Stevie Francis

we should just draft freddie jones in the 2nd round

10. mfclark

mfclark Member

He's not going to last that far barring horrible workouts, so that's not going to happen. Plus, he's only 6-2 1/4 and has yet to display any consistant jumper.

11. Matador

Matador Member

Horrible workout

The camp's biggest loser may have been Oregon's Freddie Jones. Projected as a possible first rounder before Chicago, Jones struggled once again Friday. A sore shoulder prevented him from shooting the ball from the perimeter. While teams are wowed by his athleticism going to the basket, Jones knew he didn't give them everything they wanted.

"I didn't play well. I'm real disappointed. I don't want to use the shoulder as an excuse. I know teams wanted to come and see my overall game, and I didn't deliver. But I'm not discouraged.," Jones said after scoring eight points on 3-for-10 shooting. "I'm going to rest my shoulder a bit and then I'll hit the individual workouts hard again. I know what I can do, it's just a matter of doing it in front of the guys working me out."

But was Jones's performance enough to know him out of the first round? No one really knows.

"I saw him work out before Chicago and he played much better," one league executive said. "So I think we understand that his shoulder was the problem. For teams that didn't get to see him before Chicago, I'm sure they're disappointed. But even if he shot 0-for-20, you can't deny he was the most athletic player on the court."

12. mfclark

mfclark Member

I've seen that, too. His workout was due to an injury, and teams will take that into consideration. He'll have to fail in a lot of workouts to fall into the second round - and that's assuming one or two teams in the end of the 1st round haven't said they'll pick him.

He definately won't fall into the 50s and won't make it 8 picks into the 2nd round.

13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I had a feeling this might happen. If you go to the main Rockets site at rockets.com, there's some footage of Rush, Caron Butler, and Aaron McGhee going through a drill (at their Rockets workout) where they took the ball at various positions and took contested turnaround jumpers. This footage is pretty extensive-- it last several minutes-- and I don't think I saw Rush miss one shot in the tape. It was a remarkable shooting display. I think he could probably play the 3... we play a lot of small ball anyway, and there's not a lot of backup SF's he couldn't match up with.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Kareem Rush?

Well, I suppose he could back up Steve at the 2 when we send the #1 pick and Cuttino to Chicago for Curry and the #2 (Jay Williams)....

No, no, no! Ming's the thing.

But we have been trying out the guards, haven't we? Jiri Welsch, Kareem Rush, even Caron Butler, at a supposed 6'7", to me, would be more of a guard.

Just covering all the bases, I guess.

15. Kayman

Kayman Contributing Member

Prediction: The player taken at #15 won't be a starter for the Rockets next season. Even if we take a SF Rudy won't play a him there. If no vet SF or is acquired via trade or free agency Rudy will go with Griffin and Thomas at the forward positions, (Taylor and Rice are huge question marks at this point).

Therefore Mobley should remain calm if we take Rush, it will be as a reserve. I think he'll be much better than Torres, and can give you 15mins/game and instant offense off the bench, so that Cuttino won't have to play 46 mins every game.

Clutch,
    I agree that we should draft Stoudamire. Besides, most mocks show Rush going at 14, which would make Stoudamire and Nachbar the best options at 15.

However, if Stoudamire goes up and Rush falls, I think we should take him before Nachbar. Rush has avareged 20ppt/game and 42% on 3pt and 5Rebs/game last year. Nachbar was only a 12pts/game for Trevisio. Plus as I said, Nacbar is not the solution at SF, he'll be a bench player as well.

The Cat,
    nice scoop on the workouts.

16. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Rush is an Allan Houston clone. And that's a good thing.

;)

17. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Drafting Rush will give the Rockets a good backup shooting guard. It will be a huge upgrade from Torres. Kareem has a huge upside.

18. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

"Kareem Rush?

Well, I suppose he could back up Steve at the 2 when we send the #1 pick and Cuttino to Chicago for Curry and the #2 (Jay Williams)....

No, no, no! Ming's the thing. "

Rush would immediately take most of Moochie's minutes. Francis would not play 2-guard that much with Mobley and Rush there. Rush can easily come in and play 17-20 minutes a game getting 10 ppg at back up G-F.

"Rush is an Allan Houston clone. And that's a good thing. "

Yes, despite Houston's contract, he still is a superb offensive player, and has one of the sweetest strokes in the game. Last season was one of his weaker seasons, even with getting a career high in points.

Rush will be as good as Houston (one maybe two all-star berths, never able to carry a team but a very very good player), and yes that is a good thing. ;)

19. MManal

MManal Member

Kareem Rush is a nice basketball talent. I like how well rounded his offensive game is off the perimeter and how he is able to score in several different ways. Also, I like his legit shooting guard size at 6-6 214. Rush reminds me some of Morris Peterson except I think he is better in terms of being able to create his shot off the dribble.

I dont know if another scorer of this type would fit into the Rockets team considering what they already have in place.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Cat, I saw that footage a few days ago when it came up, as well. It was hard at first to tell who was who, but I was wondering "Who's the guy hitting everything he's throwing up??". Yes, it was a workout, but they were tough, defended shots in a pressure situation (in a sense- these guys are trying to move up!:)). Does he play any D at all? He looked like he'd be a great backup with potential.