1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dion Glover

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jacquescas, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

After his exceptional play in the summer league does he have a viable chance of making the team? If there a chance he could be that swingman who could give T-Mac 8-12 minutes of rest a night? At just 6'5 he would be very undersized.

I dont think he has a future here as a guard because the backup 2 spot is taken and i dont see him having the abilty to start.

2. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

I disagree with you only because if Glover has the ability ot score, i.e. creating his own shot, with his size (6'5" is not too short for a 2-guard, look at Steve Francis) if he can contribute on the defensive end, i see no reason he couldn't battle for playing time on the team. Its not out of the eralm of possibility that when T-Mac has the ball in his hands that Glover can't slide over to the 1 and slash to the basket on a kick out, or shoot a jumper.

3. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Dion is a great prospect. Maybe age is not on his side anymore (mid to late 20s?) but IIRC, he was a stud at G-Tech and was expected to be a legit star in the NBA. Maybe he can now fulfill his promise. He has the body, height and smarts to make. I hope we get lucky with him.

A great all around guy too - works hard and maintains a good reputation.

4. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

this guy has very average to below average numbers but we dont have any other guard that size. if in a desparate situation id say...i dont know.

5. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

He was a stud at Tech, but I think he was expected to be more of a solid guy rather than a star when he was drafted. Must be mid-20's now cause he came out in '99 (same year at Steve) after only 1 yr at Tech ... (still pisses me off..could have had Marbury, Glover, Collier all on the same team--yes, collier was good in college)

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Glover played 2 guard with ATL and has good size and strength. If Wesley can start on this team, i dont see why he couldn't push Wesley for that spot.

7. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Undersized yes, but at least when I saw him, he's an exceptionally strong/solid 6'5. I'd have no problem giving him 8-10 minutes spot duty at small forward.

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Glover should be looked at at training camp. Decent size a 6'5" and is young and can score off the dribble. That's something this team doesnt have much of. He would be an ideal scorer off the bench with our second unit. Might not be a good complimentary player with Yao and Tmac, but as a scorer for the 2nd unit to keep the team going until Yao and Tmac get their rest, he would help the team.

9. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

you people who dismiss Baxter and Glover... remember, you are talking about a team (in Houston) who has Moochie Norris, Charlie Ward, Ryan Bowan, Vin Baker, and Clarance Weatherspoon eating FIVE roster spots.

Ask yourself this question before you dismiss these guys... wouldn't you rather have young guys with something to prove ride the pine, or do you prefer old, fat, broke down, ex-Knicks

10. RikQuik

RikQuik Member

Yeah, but those 5 have gauranteed contracts, though most are expiring. Young guys are great to have and train, but that's what they set the NBA DL for. When these other contracts run out, or the players are traded, then we may bring in some of these other guys...

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Well we don't know what changes are going to be made to the guard rotation this offseason. When the dust clears, we may have a need for a backup swingman, in which case it's nice to have him around.

As for all the deadweight we're carrying, we need them. If we cut them, we can't trade them. So, as much as it sucks having guys who won't play take a third of the roster, I wouldn't want to jump the gun on getting rid of them (except Ryan Bowen, who did an admirable job in the playoffs, but is easily expendable).

12. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I thought Bowen's contract was already up. I don't think he counts although I suppose there's a chance we could bring him back.

13. gbritton

gbritton Contributing Member

why would we want bowen back? im sorry... i know he tried his best against dirk and did a pretty job, but still... no. he cant do anything besides run around like a wildman out there.

14. Relativist

I'm not saying I'd want him back, but for a 12th man off the bench, why not? Bowen was not supposed to be getting the minutes he did. No one's talking about bringing him back to to be the first guy off the bench, just a good practice guy and someone to spell T-Mac for a few minutes a game.

15. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Other possibilities (if we cannot find a swing man from the SL) include;

Rodney Buford
    Bryon Russell
    Richie Frahm
    Randy Livingston
    Courtney Alexander
    Lucious Harris
    Terence Morris

Some of these guys could be had for the $1.7M exception or less. Some of them may have already have an agreement to sign with someone.

Also Toronto is thinking of moving Jalen Rose and his $15,694,250 & $16,901,500 for 2005/06 & 2006/07 season respectively. It will be nice if Toronto will be willing to save about $16,901,500 by taking our expiring contracts (any combination of Clarence Weatherspoon, David Wesley, Vin Baker or Charlie Ward) + a second round pick.

16. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

why would we have to give toronto a second round pick when we are already giving them 16 million dollars in cap relief? plus i think Jalen Rose gets cut and we can sign him outright. There will be less money out there when these guys get cut. I think alot will take 1 year minimum deals with contendors and try their hand at free agency next year. Its not like Atlanta is going to use up its cap space for an over the hill Brian Grant.

17. Relativist

I agree with Jacques. I see no reason to include a pick. In fact, I'd probably ask for Mo Pete as well.

18. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Something of note, Baxter and Glover are both 26, Dion will be 27 before the season starts. They don't exactly have much upside, but I do hope they make the roster though, Glover has some NBA experience as well.

I really doubt Bowen will be back. No knock on him, but I think we need to get more athletic in the back-up 3 spot (Glover, Sura, someone else) and there is no PT available for him at the 4.

C: Yao, Deke (Swift)
    PF: Swift, JH
    SF: Tmac
    SG: DW, JB, Head
    PG: BS, MJ, (Head)
    (Note: we could trade one of our guards for a new guard like DS, but that
    won't change the roster look much)

So these are 10 definite spots right there, we can have 5 more (including active/inactive list). VB, MN, CWd and Spoon are also on the roster, they have to take spots unless waived, unlikely given they are expiring contracts.

That leaves 1 spot between Baxter, Dion, Bowen, Padget, Badine, or someone else. If I had to choose right now it it Dion, because that athletic big 2 or 2/3 is just not something we have after Tmac.

I wish there was a way to keep Lonnie along with Dion or another 2/3, but we would probably have to waive Ward or not resign Barry, of these two possibilities I'll take the 1st.

Badaine is not getting a contract this year unless we don't bring back Deke, and I want Deke back.

19. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Oh guys, we are not going to add a guy like Rose, Finley or Houston unless they are part of the 1 time waiver. We are not going to use all those expiring contracts to acquire a bad mega contract when those guys might be available anyway to us.

And Fegwu, I'd much rather have Barry that most of those guys (Harris, Frahm, Alexander, Russell). He is a better shooter, good team guy who we know, and won't cost us an exemption.

20. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

Not yes...HELL yes. Barry stays. :D