1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron]: Rockets finalize 3-year deal with Lucas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bwarren, Jul 28, 2006.

1. bwarren

bwarren Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4080068.html

Rockets finalize 3-year deal with Lucas

By FRAN BLINEBURY
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Last season they got a brief look. This summer they've had their eyes opened.

Liking what they've seen, the Rockets signed point guard John Lucas III to a three-year contract on Friday.

"We had him with us for a 10-day contract and then a little longer and liked what we saw in John," said Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson. "Then he played for us in the summer league and showed tremendous progress. We think he has a future in the NBA."

The former Oklahoma State star, who attended Bellaire High School, averaged just over eight minutes in only 13 games with the Rockets in the 2005-06 season and struggled at times to fit in, especially with his shooting.

But when Lucas joined the Rockets' entry in the Las Vegas Summer League earlier this month, he was a heady, confident player who could get — and make — his own shots. He also distributed the ball well, averaging 23.4 points and 7.6 assists in leading the Rockets to a 5-0 record.

Following his Las Vegas stint, Lucas drew interest from at least a half-dozen NBA clubs. But his emotional ties and the focus of his interest were always in his hometown.

The Rockets also went a step further than other interested clubs, who wanted to sign him to a two-year contract. They used money they had left over in their mid-year exception to give him a slightly higher salary in his first season and then made the deal for three years total.

"We like John and we see him as a project," said Dawson. "For that reason, we wanted to be able to keep him for a third year."

2. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

3. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

SPLASH!!!

Now our offseason is complete!

4. tested911

tested911 Member

A very good signing... Look forward to the next 2 years seeing this kid play... Hopefully he will be the hidden talent we were looking for.

5. rockingsoul

rockingsoul Contributing Member

Does anybody know how much of our MLE is left aftering signing JL3 and Novak, please?

6. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Probably enough to fix our PF problem...then our Backup C problem, and then get us a legitimate SG, to go with our Just in case PG issue, if Alston has another terrible shooting year.

7. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

So do we have any money left? :confused:

8. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

9. seth66

seth66 Member

see...so our offseason move is yet to complete...there are holes to fix....
    i want bonzi wells for our sg..but itz not gonna be possible anyways.... :(

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

There have been hints a trade is coming. I don't think we are finished yet.

11. Panda

Panda Member

No mention of the third year being a team option.

12. solid

solid Contributing Member

Hope you are right, the Rockets need a couple more experienced players that can rebound and shoot. Then I will get excited, because they could become a legit contender.

13. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

Now that our backcourt is quite set..lets get that much needed help at the PF...one more move baby! :D

14. chris_Rocket

chris_Rocket Member

15. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

It wouldn't suprise me if you are right, but I hope you are wrong as I don't think that the Rockets are contenders yet!

16. Rollazn

Rollazn Member

Great news - I hope JL3 the best!! :D

17. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Funny that in a summer when we've made more additions to our backcourt than in recent history, never has it been such a looming weakness as present.

18. aamir

aamir Member

Happy to see JL3 on board, but as stated, he's a project...

So much confusion in the backcourt right now, with the front court in worse shape. I just don't know if adding another project player is the best move right now, especially after passing on Rudy to "win now."

Unless there is a strong trade in our future, I see us as just being a good team again, not an elite.. Hope I'm wrong.

19. xlr817

xlr817 Member

Finally! About time! ;)

20. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet
    Supporting Member

How exactly is a McGrady, Battier, Yao frontcourt in bad shape? I would say it is probably the best frontcourt in the NBA.