1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So if we make it to the finals...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jet036, Apr 17, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Jet036

Jet036 Member

and face the Heat...

who would have HC advantage? The season series is tied but Miami has a better conference record. Would Miami's better conference record give them the tie braker or is better conference record only the tie braker for a tied tie-braker for teams in the same conference?

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

We get HCA.

TIEBREAKER BASIS:
    (-) Tie breaker not needed (better overall winning percentage)
    (1) Division leader wins tie from team not leading a division
    (2) Head-to-head won-lost percentage
    (3) Conference won-lost percentage
    (4) W-L Percentage vs. Playoff teams, own conference
    (5) W-L Percentage vs. Playoff teams, other conference
    (6) Net Points, all games

3. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

If we somehow managed to get to the finals and face the heat, I don't think HCA will really matter....we're screwed. Sorry, just keeping it real.

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I mean they get HCA.

5. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Dont know why you say that. Heat fans say the rockets are one of their worst matchups.

6. davidghall

davidghall Member

In the Finals they take the Rockets record vs the East against the Heats record against the West. Rockets would have home court.

7. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

lol talk about premature threads

8. Nook

Nook Member

If the Rockets beat Portland, San Antonio and then OKC... I wouldn't assume they are "screwed" facing the Heat.

9. justbuckets

justbuckets Member

this is why, in philosophy, counterfactual arguments (statements beginning with "if") have no weight.

10. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

It's good to always have hope, but if you were my age...maybe you'd understand my pessimism. But I have to admit, facing Portland in the 1st round actually has given me more hope than previous years. As for SA....um....not looking forward to that series regardless of our regular season record against them.

11. Nook

Nook Member

I don't think Houston is going to beat Portland and San Antonio and OKC. What I am saying is, IF the Rockets do manage to get through the West, I wouldn't assume they would lose to the Heat.

12. davidghall

davidghall Member

Rockets will have home court, so I wouldn't completely write them off in this hypothetical matchup.

13. Jet036

Jet036 Member

Dude don't just copy and paste the footnotes at the bottom of the team standings webpage on NBA.com. I think it's pretty obvious from my question that I've already read that ("Would Miami's better conference record give them the tie braker or is better conference record only the tie braker for a tied tie-braker for teams in the same conference?"). And how the hell would we get HCA? If those rules still applied they'd get HCA ("Would Miami's better conference record").

14. davidghall

davidghall Member

Read the 2nd paragraph below the standings in the link. It's from a scenario 3 years ago, but still relevant.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2011/03/29/home-court-in-finals-up-for-grabs/

1 person likes this.
  15. Jet036

Jet036 Member

16. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Do we have confirmation on this? I've done a dozen Google searches and I still can't get a straight answer. I guess because this type of scenario never plays out. It nearly did in 1994. Had the Rockets lost one of those games to the Knicks in the regular season, both teams would finished 57-25 with a 1-1 split.

Anyway, I hope the Rockets do have the tiebreaker. Yes, they're a long shot to make it to the Finals, but it's not a pipe dream. They're favored over the Blazers. They'd have a decent shot against the Spurs(and would be favored over the Mavs should they pull off the upset). And we don't know who they'd face in the conference finals should they make it that far.

17. davidghall

davidghall Member

It's happened a few times. Last time was in 2000-2001. Lakers and 76ers finished with the same record and split the season series. Lakers had the better record against the East than the 76ers did against the West, and had home court in the Finals.

18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Was that what determined the tiebreaker though? Even when I looked that up, I couldn't find anything to confirm it.

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Ah, that's how it works. I thought it was their own conf record.

20. davidghall

davidghall Member

Read post #14.