1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Power Forward Future

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wfeebs, Apr 22, 2013.

1. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

We all know Morey is very proactive when he doesn't get the results he wants. After watching Ibaka murder us, is there any chance Morey DOESN'T either sign or trade for A PF this summer? I don't think we can wait until 2014/2015 for our PF of the future.

Maybe this is knee jerk, but I can't help but think Morey will upgrade since the position is SO much weaker than the other 4. I love all of our 4 PFs as backups, but none as starters. Morey has such tunnel vision for a championship, and knowing that the WCF will go through OKC for the next decade, he will do anything to match up with them well.

I don't know who will fill this role, but at least 1 of Motie, Trob, Tjones cannot be on the roster next year. We need somebody proven ASAP I don't think we can handle another year with such a weakness.

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Morey said in his recent Chron interview something to the effect that they know cap space is precious and they are going to be very judicious and patient in how they use it. We've seen teams go crazy trying to sign players to put around a star and it fails (CLE with LeBron) without thinking it through.

They aren't going to sign free agents just to fill a need. It has to be a player that makes them great, not just better.

Perhaps they think Milsap or Josh Smith is that player, but it wouldn't surprise me if we hedge our bets with the deals we offer them (below max, team options), if any offers are made at all.

Wouldn't surprise me if the same players are at the 4 next year, or we get a Delfino type vet on a short term deal as a stop gap.

3. HardenOnlyFan

HardenOnlyFan Member

We just need a solid PF... Chuck Hayes, Brandon Bass, gosh anyone :(

4. trowa2

trowa2 Member

agreed. cant just sigh carlos boozer for max contract and then expect the bulls the be a great team.

5. trowa2

trowa2 Member

sign**

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

another good example

7. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

8. Bo6

Bo6 Member

they are going to give the young guys until next deadline, i would think.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Our PF is so so weak right now, I'm having dreams of the good ole days of Marcus Morris.

Greg Smith has gotten so much worse, it seems. He should not be starting, and doesn't need any more than 15 mpg. he only got 17 last night, but was pretty bad in those 17... I mean everyone was bad, but Greg was -34 (worst on the team), in 17 minutes! Yikes!

I understand generally the reluctance to go with Terrence Jones more... and especially to make the change at this point in time... but if Smith isn't going to do the one thing he's supposed to do somewhat well - play in the paint (rebound, block shots, whatever), then there's no point in having him out there so much.

Also, I think Greg thrives more as a backup center than a PF role.

I'd definitely start Jones, and bring Smith in as a backup to either Asik or Jones depending on how they're doing, fouls, etc.

Here's the gameflow:

http://popcornmachine.net/cgi-bin/gameflow.cgi?date=20130421&game=HOUOKC

You'll notice Smith is the only Rocket who wasn't involved in a single stretch of positive minutes in the game.

Also note Omer. He was the only Rocket at least somewhat effective from a +/- perspective. Every single time he went out the Thunder went on a run. He can't play the whole game - he just can't. So points to the need for a true center presence more often. Another data point that says bench Smith and bring him in as backup CENTER.

Anyway, I know the thread isn't about Smith entirely.

Yes, clearly the Rockets need an actual PF on the team.

My dream continues to be to sign Dwight, and have Love pressure TWolves into trading him to Houston (which is a real possibility... he just says trade me to Houston, I'm not resigning with you or any other team you trade me to). Love and Harden are LA boys. Dwight is drawn to a big city like LA... but the spotlight seems to bright for him as a player there. All 3 can chill in LA in the offseason, work on their games, hang out. Come time to play, come back to Houston, which has a lot of the same amenities as an LA, but nowhere near the "spotlight". It makes too much sense.

10. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

Agreed, but with everybody healthy, weren't the bulls a 60 win team? They have great pieces like we do. I'm not saying get a max player. I'm saying I think personnel changes need to be made

11. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

We need a back to the basket post player in the worst way. And apparently D-Mo and Greg Smith aren't quite ready yet. Another elbow shooter/stretch 4 isn't gonna do it since we have nothing but those already (minus Smith). A younger KG would be amazing :-/

12. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

Omer had some nice moments, blocks, change the shots, rebound, every time smith try to attack, it's a turnover, he has no one on one game, has to be fed by others...... also, lacks the defensive impact he should have:eek:

13. Normalus

Normalus Member

Shame we can't bring Jeff Green there. His game is perfect match for Rockets.

14. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

My gut tells me it will be Robinson once he develops a jump shot. The guy is just what the Rockets need, a defensive play maker. Jones is a bad defender, but good shot blocker.

15. Garner

Garner Member

Ah yes. . . If we only had a future Hall of Famer our problems would be solved

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sign Yao for the playoffs to play PF....then dump it into him.....

Come on back big fella, we need ya !

DD

17. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I agree. Realistically though, I wouldn't mind signing Al Jefferson. His back to the basket game is by far the best out of all the prospective signings we could make. That or D12 of course (even if he sucks, he's still better than most; which says the rest of the league sucks at post play....)

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I like Smith, but he has a hard time with Asik. I would prefer him back as a backup at this point. Based on how OKC is playing, I think the Rockets need to go small early and often.

19. Juxtaposed Jolt

Ironically, I think Ibaka would be the best PF for this team.

Lockdown defender who would work well next to Asik, and Ibaka is developing into a very good stretch 4 on the offensive side of the ball.

Presti develops, Morey poaches. ;)

20. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

Jesus go back to having a stretch 4 if we can't get someone who posts up. While you're at it play T Rob at the 3 and kick Delfino off the team.