1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chandler Parsons: Play vs. Value

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IgotNext, Feb 10, 2013.

1. IgotNext

IgotNext Member

Parsons is a solid player........his contract is amazing for the rockets as well. I was just wondering if people thought there are better SF out there( or more suited for Houston)

Or because he is out performing his contract Extremely, it would just be absurd to try and upgrade?

Is he just our guy and we are not looking to upgrade until his contract is up? Or would there be somebody who is a significant upgrade?

I guess I'm just conflicted on: parson being way worth the amount he is paid and just being blind to an upgrade or this guy is just that good.

Iv also heard him moving to PF( would that work?)

2. bongman

bongman Member

Trading Parsons would be a very difficult move. If we were to trade him for a player of the same position, it would be somebody who is a significant upgrade and that means this person is a max salary player.

It would require us to part with a lot of our players to match the salaries. Are we willing to scrap all our young developing talent plus Chandler - who has the potential to be just as effective as this max player once he gets more mature?

3. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

For one, he perfectly fits our team: a good 3pt shooter, slasher and passer on offense, and he can defend the best opposing wing player on defense.

Second: his contract is crazy good. Today in the NBA it is all about getting the best possible players fit under the cap. Having a guy like Parsons makes this so much easier. You could basically have 3 max guys plus him and round out the team.

Third: of course there are better SF out there and we could upgrade the position. LeBron James, Paul George just to name a few. And if one of them just falls in our lap, of course we could trade Parsons for them - but when looking at this team and how to upgrade, you actually try to improve your weaknesses on the roster (right now basically PF - perhaps PG, but I don`t think so) while keeping the core you want to build around. And I am sure Parsons belongs in that core!

1 person likes this.
  4. IgotNext

IgotNext Member

Would you say he and harden are untouchables? It would be stupid to include him in any type of package. Right?

5. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I wouldn't say parson is untouchable but it would take a franchise player/superstar to warrant trading Chandler in a package.

6. IgotNext

IgotNext Member

Good points

7. FearTheBeardJH

8. bongman

bongman Member

With the way our current roster, yes they are untouchables. But if we somehow get a top tier player before the deadline or summer free agency, it would be easier to justify trading Parson for the 3rd and final piece.

9. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I would worry about Parsons at PF in the playoffs on defense when the game slows down though.

10. IgotNext

IgotNext Member

Do you think it could be his primary position? He is about the average height for a PF (so I read) but if people are calling Patterson and Gasol soft, wouldn't they rip parsons if he was in that position?

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

The Rockets don't need to replace Parsons so much as they probably would like to complement him. Parsons plays 1/4 of his minutes at PF, so the Rockets obviously need to go small for long stretches for matchup reasons. It would be nice if they can add a quality SF to lessen Parsons' minutes, or allow him to play more at PF.

Imagine the situation when the Rockets obtained Artest when they had Battier and T-Mac. Except imagine T-Mac actually staying healthy and not quitting. That IMO is their dream scenario.

12. IgotNext

IgotNext Member

If parson could play the stretch 4 and we get an even more athletic SF, that would be insane.

But I don't know how it would look on the defensive side of the ball. could be a post up nightmare on him, but he is a decent defender.

13. IgotNext

IgotNext Member

So do you think we should look for a SF to do what your talking about( which sounds good) or stick to the: we need a PF from somewhere else?

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

I would not trade him unless we were getting a legit superstar in return (at any position) OR an all star SF to replace him.

15. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I agree with this for the most part.

But I don't think I would trade him for an All-Star who is heading toward the down side of his career.

Mainly talking about guys like Danny Granger, Andre Iguodala, etc. These guys scream out 'short term thinking' for me.

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah, I agree, it would need to be a guy with at least 3 or 4 prime years ahead of him.

17. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

For his salary and production he is nearly untradeable. In my opinion the second most untradeable player on this team.

He makes less than 1 million a year. Even as a bench player he would be underpaid.

18. split41

split41 Member

I'm with you. Parson's is way too valuable for this team to trade for anything less. A few people mentioned what he brings to the team on court, but this guy has great off court value as well. He's a great locker room leader and is the glue that holds this team together, he's a competitor and willing to play through injuries for the good of the team. Besides who else could we use to have a ladies night ;)

19. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

is he the most underpaid starter? :confused:

20. hocash

hocash Contributing Member

I'd trade Parsons and a 1st rounder for Ryan Anderson. That's how much better I think Anderson is.
    Parsons has a great contract. But only right now. Once he's off his rookie contract he'll be commanding pretty good money from someone. Other teams will overpay him but Morey won't. If Parsons won't take less money to stay with Houston (and why would he when it's his first big contract) then IMO better to trade him sooner than later so the new player can gel.