1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Upgrading] AMD Processors

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Castor27, Aug 6, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I am considering upgrading my system. I woul dlike to get an AMD 64bit processor. Anyone have any suggestions on what to get. I expect to spend a little bit of money on it but I do not want to spend $500, because I'd like to upgrade a few more components.

2. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

3. rvpals

rvpals Member

I just built my own AMD 64 PC this Jan. It was great. I bought my AMD 3200+ Athlon 64 CPU, 1 Ghz Ram, a new motherboard that supports the AMD64 CPU. Most likely you will need to get another new motherboard. When I bought mine, the CPU cost almost $200, the motherboard is around $120.

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

IF you wait for a good package deal you can get MB + CPU for 200. There was a deal at compusa for 200. Fry's has deals like this every week.

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

If you get a new MB, make sure you get one with PCI-Express, AGP is going to be extinct soon.

6. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I know, I'll be getting a new MB, but I wanted to decide on the processor before I decided on the MB.

7. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

since your getting an AMD 64 you should get either the Venice or San Diego core versions of the processors because these cores are the latest revisions in the Athlon 64 line. The previous cores (winchester, newcastle etc.) come with a slower FSB (800Mhz vs 1Ghz)

the San Diego cores are more expensive than the Venice cores because they come with a larger L2 cache, check out this review for a comparison because the performance depends on exactly what is being done w/ the cpu

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=219&num=1