1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best MLE Buys Ever

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Deuce, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I cant quite remember how long the NBA has had the Mid Level Exception (MLE). But I was curious over the years to perhaps list some of the best MLE buys out there and I guess while we are at it, some of the dogs.

Recently I guess one of the best buys has to be Chauncy Billups. The Pistons signed him up for the full MLE and he helps the Pistons win a championship and on the way picks up the Finals MVP. Who else is on the "best buys" list?

2. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Michael Redd. One of the best bargains in the league. Well at least he was the past two years.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I suppose Redd could fall into that category since really the Mavs offered him that MLE deal and the Bucks matched it. So while Redd didnt switch teams, (which I guess is what I was really looking for), he did stay with the Bucks at MLE money.

4. franchise23

franchise23 Contributing Member

Didnt the Suns sign Q. Richardson for the MLE this past season. I wouldnt call it a steal but he is certainly worth more that that.

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Q for the MLE would be a good deal. He got more than that though. I think his deal starts at around 6M+. The Suns were under the cap so that's the money they used.

Last summer Orlando got Hedo for the full MLE which wasnt bad considering his production this year. Of course it remains to be seen how it turns out later on down the road.

6. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

brian cardinal...

jerry west is dead.

7. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

After the way TurkeyGlue choked in the 2004 playoffs with the Spurs, I wouldn't go near him. If/when the Magic make the playoffs, they will learn.

8. Man

Man Contributing Member

Chauncey Billups is awesome he is a great player.

Haha how about Mo Taylor and Kelvin Cato and Moochie

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Sadly, Taylor, Cato and Moochie were all resigned with money we had because we were below the cap.

Seriously, was Chauncy Billups the only solid MLE acquisition out there? Anyone?

10. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Matt Harpring for the Utah Jazz isn't bad. Donyell Marshall for the Bulls is OK.

11. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Hasn't the MLE only been around since the new CBA?

Stephen Jackson was signed to MLE money (and traded), right?

Jamal Crawford could turn out to be a decent signing.

#11 dharocks, Jun 5, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2005
  12. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Both these guys were signed and traded and the MLE was not used.

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Those are great examples! Thanks.

Signed with other teams
    Billups
    Harpring
    Marshall

Signed by other teams, but their own teams matched
    Redd
    Peterson

I just think it is interesting to look at how other teams over the last few years have used the MLE and see the type of player it bought. I think more often than not there were some very questionable buys. But those 3 are some of the best ones so far.

Gary Payton was signed to the MLE last year for the Lakers. Good buy? He played ok for the Lakers and then was turned into Mihm/Atkins.

Just like the Michael Redd scenario, I think Morris Peterson was signed to an offer sheet with MLE money by the Hornets only to have the Raptors match the offer. That might end up being a decent contract.

Anyone have any others?

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Mobley got an Early Bird contract instead of one with the MLE, but the money was similar. He was definitely worth what was paid.