1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Palming Violations

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Drag-On 88, Oct 21, 2000.

1. Drag-On 88

Drag-On 88 Member

don't u think they shouldn't be whistled unless the dribbler uses it to get by his defender like Stoudamire did the other night?...I really don't agree w/ refs callin' it when the dribbler is just standing there dribbling, waiting for the offense to develop like the two that were called on Francis and Mobley...anyways, that's just my opinion...what do you guys think???

------------------

2. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

Drag On 88:

I think the refs have made the games a farce so far. Every other play there is a foul being called not including the traveling, double dribble, palming, taunting, 3seconds, illegal defenses and then throw all the timeouts on top of that and you have a pathetic basketball game being put forth for the average viewing fan.

First of all 80% of the fouls being called our totally false, whether it's for the Rockets our against the Rockets...minor touching fouls...WNBA ****.

All these new rules put forth are actually making the games much slower and boring than otherwise. Pay close attention next couple a games and you'll notice the refs getting restless if three possesions are played without a foul being called. It's almost like their saying: hey, well the ball was knocked loose, or, the guy couldn't of missed a shot that bad, or, better yet we haven't called a foul in 2 possessions and our bosses are watching so we better earn our paychecks: I know thats the little do-dos are thinking and i feel like strangling their asses because their ruining an otherwise great sport.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ROCKETBOOSTER (edited October 21, 2000).]

3. Drag-On 88

Drag-On 88 Member

AMEN.

------------------

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

HEAR ! HEAR !

It is madness. . .cause sometime the make
    calls on speculation . . .or worse . .
    after someone says something. . I mean
    Steve be in the Cylinder when they call
    him for a foul on the other end for stealing
    the ball and Quitten broke into tears

Rocket River

------------------

5. Drag-On 88

Drag-On 88 Member

Francis does palm the ball quite a bit, but who doesn't???... i'm just sayin' that it shouldn't be whistled unless he or any other player palms the ball to get by the defender and not when they're just dribbling waiting for something to develop in the offense.

------------------

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

HELL Sleepy Floyd use to turn the ball
    over completely every fr*ckin Dribble

Rocket River

------------------

7. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Do you guys mean to say that Francis DOESN'T palm the ball? Look at the tape and you'll see that he does do that quite a bit.

I know that the game is changing. But you have got to play within the fundamentals of basketball. What's a better way to play: like the rules state, or the way the referees allow you? My guess is that you all choose the last one.

------------------
    Vote this year or quit b****ing

[This message has been edited by Pass 1st, shoot 2nd (edited October 23, 2000).]