1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Truby traded to Montreal

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Buck Turgidson, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Buck Turgidson

for backup 3B Geoff Blum. This makes me VERY happy; Ensberg will put up better #s than Vinny did for us last year.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

A switch hitting utility man with 90 games a SS. In 2000, turned 22 DP with 3 errors at SS.

Everett and Lugo may have just gotten some competition for SS, but most likely he's just a utility man.

I've never seen him play shortstop....I just fine it interesting that the astros would trade for a 3rd baseman with little chance to start for another 3rd baseman with little chance to start.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'd prefer Ensberg over Truby too and this seems to solidify it. Any other info on this guy? How old/experienced is he? Is he a Bill Spiers type of utility guy - that would be great? Right handed, left handed?

4. WoodlandsBoy

WoodlandsBoy Contributing Member

Poor Truby, getting sent off to Montreal. That has to be the worst place to play professional sports.

Blum may be alright though. He has no power but gets alot of walks and is a switch hitter. We already had J. Vizcaino so I don't think Blum will be any more useful than Vizcaino.

If Ensburg gets hurt we are in deep $hit.

5. Major

Major Member

I'm betting this was for the benefit of Truby more than anything else. He'll finally get a chance to play and start, I would think (unless they have a better 3B?). It's what he really needs after eons in the minors.

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. Truby has been rotting away in the minors for a long time now, and it seems all he needs to turn into a productive majors player is consistent time getting ABs against major league pitchers. But on the Astros it seems like there is always a better choice at 3B when Truby starts to struggle. Maybe in Montreal that will change.

I am very excited that the Astros made the right decision regarding Ensberg. Now just two other major decisions to make, SS and the starting rotation. If Everett is the starting day SS, and Hernandez and Redding are both in the starting rotation, I will be very happy with how Jimy Williams has managed this spring.

7. Georock

Georock Member

The 3B of the Expos is Tatis, and in my opinion Truby never should play ahead of Tatis.

8. Buck Turgidson

Fernando Tatis is the 'Spos 3B but he's hurt & won't be ready to start the season. Truby should get a chance to play & I wish him well, but he's just not that good of a major league player (more of a AAAA guy - too good for AAA but not good enough for the bigs). He's got serious flaws in his swing & will always be overmatched by big league righthanders. He does hit lefties pretty well & that's his future in the bigs - platoon/ph duty against LHP.

Blum is NOT competing for the SS job, he's simply spare parts to give Jimah some versatility in the late innings & to give Ensberg a few days off. What I'm really interested in seeing now is who starts at 3rd in New Orleans; I'd give Ginter about 50 starts there, 50 at 2nd & 50 in LF. With his bat (but defensive shortcomings) he'd be an invaluable bench contributor. You guys are right though, if Ensberg gets hurt the 'Stros would have to make a deal 'cause there's not another 3B in the system ready to contribute.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Tatis hasn't been impressive the past two years with only one more homer than Truby in more atbats. If Tatis doesn't return to form, stays hurt, and/or is a lot older than he says he is, Truby has a shot to replace him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5864

Between the groin and several other nagging injuries, he never was 100 percent, and chronic patellar tendinitis in his left knee finally ended his season in June.

10. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Here's the Astro's write up on the trade. It seems that they wanted a left handed hitter at 3rd base.

http://astros.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/ho...icle_id=hou_20020312_mcelroy_news&team_id=hou

Astros release McElroy, trade Truby for Expos' Blum

By Alyson Footer
    MLB.com

KISSIMMEE, Fla. -- The Houston Astros announced Tuesday morning that they released left-handed pitcher Chuck McElroy from his minor league contract. Later that morning, the club announced that it traded Chris Truby to Montreal in exchange for utility player Geoff Blum.

McElroy, 34, was a non-roster invitee to Spring Training. In three spring appearances, he was 0-1 with a 16.88 ERA.

"I understand the game," McElroy said. "I understand the business part of it. But I'm always positive about everything and I'm confident that I'll hook onto another team.

"This (release) is a new experience. It's never happened to me. I'm not going to sit around and worry about it or sit at home and dwell about it. The way I look at it, one door closes and the other one opens."

Truby, 28, has spent his entire nine-year professional career in the Astros organization. He had a career batting average of .241 with 19 home runs and 82 RBIs since his big league debut in 2000. Truby was the club's starting third baseman last year until Houston acquired Vinny Castilla on May 15.

"I've spent nine years in this organization so it's kind of difficult but hopefully it'll give me an opportunity to go out and play," he said. "I'm hopefully going to take advantage of it. It's the business side of the game and I totally understand where (the Astros) are coming from and hopefully I'll get an opportunity over there."

According to General Manager Gerry Hunsicker, the 28-year-old Blum is a switch-hitter with power and is versatile enough to play all four infield positions as well and center field.

"The primary motivation (for the trade) was the fact that (Blum) gives us a legitimate left-handed hitting option at third base," Hunsicker said.

In three seasons in Montreal, Blum batted .254 with 28 homers and 113 RBIs.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I expect as much, but Blum may see Spiers like time at SS if he's somewhat capable there and provides some protection in case Everett falters at the plate.

good find Hottodie

12. Dave Jamerson

Dave Jamerson Member

any word on how the bullpen is going to round up now that Chuck has been released..

13. JayZ750

How? Seems like Blum had just as successful an offensive year last season oas Truby did. There is no guarantee that Truby will ever get better at the plate. Plus, Ginter could have the ability to play third at the major league level if necessary. I dont see us any worse off now - in terms of injury protection - than we were before.

14. Buck Turgidson

Defense, Defense, Defense.

15. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

I loooove Geoff Blum. He'll be a good utility guy.

16. JayZ750

oh. does blum suck defensively?

17. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I don't think he could be much worse defensively than Truby. Truby had poor range.

18. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Here's an article about the bullpen. It doesn't reflect the fact that McElroy has been released & it's kind of vague, but it does give you an idea of the main players expected to make the final roster.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bb/1291232

Relief candidates battle, and pull for, each other
    By JOSE DE JESUS ORTIZ
    Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle

LAKELAND, Fla. -- When looking for Astros relief pitcher Jim Mann, it's a good idea to go in search of Ricky Stone. If you cannot find Mann or Stone, it would be wise to look for Scott Linebrink.

For three pitchers trying to separate themselves from the competition in hopes of landing a bullpen role, they couldn't be much more of a family.

The three righthanders are always together in the Astros' clubhouse, and Stone and Linebrink even share an apartment.

In their perfect fantasies, all three would move to Houston for opening day. Realistically, at least two of the three good friends will be back at Class AAA New Orleans.

"It'd be perfect if we all made it," said Stone, who pitched his fourth scoreless relief inning of the spring Monday in the Astros' 14-4 victory over the Tigers. "If not, we'll have a good year at Triple-A and show them we belong in the majors."

When Astros pitchers and catchers reported on Feb. 14, it was fair to say Mann, Stone and Linebrink had only slim chances of making the final 25-man roster.

Billy Wagner, Octavio Dotel and Nelson Cruz had spots secured. Righthander Doug Brocail has a spot waiting, but he won't be ready for the start of the season because of elbow surgery last April and the lengthy rehabilitation period required.

Righthanders Hipolito Pichardo (non-guaranteed) and T.J. Mathews signed major-league contracts this winter, and C.J. Nitkowski and Chuck McElroy were hoping to earn spots as situational lefthanders.

Twelve games into the spring, the Astros' bullpen is as uncertain as it was a month ago. If anything, there might be more reason for Mann, Stone and Linebrink to be optimistic.

Even righthanders Brad Lidge, Brandon Puffer and Tom Shearn have a bit more hope.

Cruz suffered a hamstring injury on Saturday and probably won't be game-ready until the final week of camp.

"Today it felt much better," Cruz said Monday. "I'll take two days off and see how I feel."

Pichardo came down with a tender elbow Saturday, and Mathews has a 9.00 ERA.

"It's a minor inflammation," Pichardo said. "It's happened before, so I'll see how I feel in two days."

Nitkoswki has pitched a bit better lately, dropping his ERA to 4.50, but McElroy's 16.88 ERA is the worst among pitchers still in camp. McElroy suffered a minor hamstring injury Saturday, but he says it's nothing more than soreness.

Nonetheless, the injuries to Cruz, Pichardo and McElroy serve as reminders of the importance of pitching depth.

"We're going to have some tough decisions," manager Jimy Williams said. "You never have enough pitching. If you're going to stockpile anything, you should stockpile pitching."

Although Pichardo and Cruz are optimistic about being ready for the season, their ailments will mean more innings for Mann, Linebrink and Stone.

"You always have hope," said Mann, 27, who has not given up a run in three innings this spring. "Even last year (as a non-roster player in spring training), I had hopes. If things go the way I can pitch, you always open eyes.

"I went in last year, and coming in this year, saying I really don't want to screw up. But the last game I pitched, I said, `All right, stop pitching like a baby.' I pitched at Triple-A aggressive. I'm tired of pitching at Triple-A. I feel like I've put up good enough numbers to maybe get a chance."

Stone, 26, who got his first taste of the majors last year with the Astros, also is tired of pitching at Class AAA. He wants to build on the solid impression he gave when he allowed eight hits and two earned runs in 7 2/3 innings (six games) after earning a promotion last September.

"If I go back, it will be my fifth year at Triple-A," said Stone, who played three seasons for the Dodgers' Class AAA affiliate before signing with the Astros. "If I go down there, I won't cry about it. I will go down and compete."

Linebrink's attitude is similar to the one shared by Mann and Stone. Linebrink, 25, has given up two earned runs in four innings this spring and welcomes as many innings as possible to prove his value.

Williams will ultimately decide, but the three friends will continue cheering for each other.

"I hang out with Ricky and Linebrink all the time, and it is kind of funny that we're all fighting for a job," Mann said. "We're that close that we can say all of us want each other to get a shot.

"We're good enough to get a shot, maybe here or somewhere else."

19. haven

haven Member

Blum=Lugo Everett insurance?

I like the trade. We get versatility in exchange for a guy who probably wouldntve started anyway, and could only pay 3b.

20. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Blum has also killed lefties during his brief career. I'd think he would make a good platoon option at worst, if he doesn't grab the 3B job outright.

Which makes me wonder why Jimmy Williams has called him a left-handed option, when he's a switch-hitter who so far has been better as a righty.