1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

6'11 Point Guard? The Greek Freak!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by vator, Jul 17, 2014.

1. vator

vator Contributing Member

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/buck...hot-at-point-guard-b99311558z1-267203021.html

Giannis Antetokounmpo getting his shot at point guard

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_kwqFG2X7nI?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/e6stKN7Ubhg?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1GvS0Jj3QN8?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uEMw-fMWKJI?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. vator

vator Contributing Member

Maybe I'm wrong and maybe I'll eat this words one day, but if you say I can either have this kid or Wiggins on the Rockets, give me Antetokounmpo. So much talent.

3. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

Looks very talented. Good pick

4. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

He looks like a Kevin Durant CLONE! I don't know his measurements, but him, Durant, Dirk, McGrady early Orl. scoring days, even seem to have some huge wingspans and similar shooting.

The kid shoots at the highest point possible. Unblock able almost much like the above mentioned shooters in length with their arms. He can get to the rim like Tmac did in Orlando against the Summer farm and rookies' league.

Wonder what he'll be like and did this have anything to do with Kidd wanting the job there bc maybe he is thinking this is the NEXT KID!?

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I can't believe he lasted until the 15th pick. That just proves how dumb NBA GMs are. You don't pass up on freaks of nature like Giannis unless for a sure thing.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  6. vneuro

vneuro Member

GMs often place too much value on certain aspects of the game, like shooting. You can teach someone to shoot. You can tweak his form and have him shoot 1000 shots a day under different conditions (spot up shooting, off of a curl/pick and roll/etc.)

You can't teach wing span.

7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I don't blame them entirely. Unless you saw him in person, the only footage of Giannis looked like it came from a 1970's Greek Rec league.

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Wow, that kid is good.

9. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

I was about to make the provocative statement that he will be a better NBA player than Wiggins, but I got beat to the punch. Kid's got it all.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Bill Simmons has been raving about him all year. Now I see why.

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

There is something about necessity that taps the most out of potential. I remember reading about how he was sending his parents money back in Greece and didn't have enough for a cab. Dude then ran all the way back. He's been through rough times, probably knows what its actually like to "be hungry" and will work his ass off to make sure that he nor his family ever feels that way again. Sure Wiggins has all the talent and "potential", but Greek Freak has the drive. Playing PG at 6'11" is difficult, but greatness is something that should never comes easily.

12. rockbox

He could have been playing by himself, and GM's should have known right away he was special as soon as saw him dribble the ball down the court at his length. Freaks of natures are not hard to spot. Yao, Lebron, Durant, Dwight, Giannis.

#12 rockbox, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  13. da_juice

da_juice Member

Yeah, I'm sure this kid's the type who will be putting in work and refining his game.

Hell, even if he can't totally improve, with his body and some good work ethic, he shouldn't have any trouble at least cracking a rotation. At the very minimum, he'll find a niche as a role player; and his ceiling is very, very high.

14. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Jeez...I know its just SL, but that got me pumped! The video reminded me so much of KD until he threw me off with his court vision and handles. Dude has gotten A LOT better at handling the ball from what I saw of him last...no wonder he is able to play PG now.

15. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Yea...I don't want to exaggerate and jump the gun...but if this dude finds his niche as a primary scorer...his ceiling is crazy high with how the league has evolved. We're getting more and more production out of the PG position than ever before...and in this case ..he's not really a PG. He's a wing with exceptional court vision and handles. So much more you can see at that height, and its practically impossible to stop him from getting his shot off when he master signature fadeaways and whatnot.

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Good for the Bucks. Giannis and Jabari is pretty exciting.

17. lloyde8

lloyde8 Contributing Member

he played strictly pg when he was in Europe at 6'9"

18. rockbox

I wonder what Morey would do with a top 10 draft pick. He was very high on this kid last draft and was high on Drummond the draft before. Maybe we will see next summer if the pelicans can't get their act together.

19. Outlier

Outlier Member

What's the Bucks projected line-up? That franchise is so irrelevant. I don't know much about them like I do other teams. Only significant thing i remember about that team was when Michael Redd was on it. I don't expect this kid to have any kind of career there. He's gonna be another Kevin Love with that kind of front office management. I predict he will be wasting his years away.

20. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

LOL I remember the bucks got slammed for taking him 15th based on some highlights that looked to come from a YMCA.