1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon [Probationary Watching Edition]

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Oski2005, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I expect to watch the first week and then just go back to watching highlights on youtube.

New set is described as having "more wood," but that the show itself remains pretty much exactly what he was doing with Late Night.

First guest is Will Smith:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NFhQP3KvRCs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

First musical guest is U2:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ajVoeX4eqIQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thoughts, hopes, complaints, declarations of "I don't own a tv," etc go here.

2. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Letterman will start beating him after the first month or so. Leno will reclaim the crown once he comes back to the 11:30 slot with his own show on Fox.

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Fox will never have a late night show after Joan Rivers, Ross Shafer and Arsenio Hall. Syndicated sitcoms are cheaper and the get the same or even better ratings.

4. Juxtaposed Jolt

I wouldn't underestimate the younger generation.

Also, Fallon's show produces more highlights, such as the games he plays with his guests sometimes. I remember Catchphrase with Tina Fey, and Flip cup or whatever, with Kate Upton.

I just think there's more "cooler talk" the next day at work, in watching Fallon's program.

5. SacTown

SacTown Member

Fallon is awesome. I predict he'll own the ratings from this point forward. His show will be a massive success.

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I'm guessing he won't be using anything Leno used...would that be frowned upon? Wouldn't mind seeing the photo booth bit. That was was always funny..

8. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Ugh can't stand Fallon. Why do people love him? I always picture that little homo laughing at the camera during SNL. **** gets real old

9. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

Wouldn't you too if Will Ferrell dominated every sketch you were in?

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Pretty good tonight. So much better than anything Leno or letterman are capable of

11. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Fallon is by far my favorite. He's just genuine out there and you can see how much he loves his job. Plus his interactions with his audience and his guests are the best.

12. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

I'm a fan of fallon, so I enjoyed his first episode of the tonight show. If you compare this first episode to the first episode he did of late night, you can see how much more comfortable he is now. Also, the interaction he has last night with his parents was pretty funny.

13. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Can't blame him if he's more talented.

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'm not sure I like U2's new song.

15. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

So what happens if Fallon doesn't do good ratings? Are they going to give him the boot like they did Conan? Jay can't save them this time.

I didnt watch Leno, but he was still #1 in the ratings when he left.

16. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

The history of hip hop dancing was pretty good

lol at "The Carlton"

17. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

I thought it was a pretty good show. Solid star power, Fallon was so comfortable with Will Smith but Bono seemed to have him frazzled a bit.

I think Fallon is just more appealing to the masses than Conan ever really has been. I think Jimmy will do fine, I am just glad I can watch his show if I want at 10:30 now.

I do not watch a lot of late night talk shows but Fallon is the only one I would leave it on if I was flipping through even if the guest was someone I am not a fan of.

He's got the best team of writers and is the most talented of any of the late night hosts in my opinion. I do not see how he will fail at this.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They'll suck it up and give him a chance to grow... which is what they could (should) have done with Conan.

Conan was placed in a bad situation because they still had Jay as the 9pm lead-in, and they always felt they could switch back if they had to.

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

Gonna make an under the radar, out on a limb call....

Seth Meyers won't last a year.

Nothing about that show really makes much sense to me. He (in theory) appeals to the same demographic as Fallon, is only marginally famous, and any sort of entertainment that he provides will be dwarfed by what Fallon brings. People aren't going to care to watch an extra, worse hour of the same type stuff. And he's in the same city (in the same building). The guests will always be worse.

The question would then be, what would come of "Late Night"? Fallon is always going to have everything that the target audience of a later show will need. I'm not sure that any future hiring will ever be able to fill the massive hole that is going to be left there.

NBC may have to ax it. Or bring Conan back :).

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Fallon wasn't that famous, when he took over either.

They may end up having similar content, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It may just make it easier for Fallon's viewers to not change the channel after his show. You're assuming it'll be worse, but Meyers may surprise you. He had great delivery on SNL weekend update and I'm sure he'll have good writers. He may have worse guests, but so did Fallon initially. As the picks up steam, better guests will sign on. Also, what helped Fallon was getting up and coming, or simply different, musical acts. Meyers can do the same, while Fallon gets the usual suspects.