1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Music]Weezer: Not the INSERT COLOR Album

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Oski2005, Jul 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Everything Will Be Alright In The End

Ric Ocasek is back to produce which is good. They've been teasing snippets and showing some videos from the studio for a couple of months now.

I like what I've heard, but the first single is a song I'm not sure fits. It comes off more like a b-side or a fan club exclusive. It rocks though.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MqZBAq2AdNc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm still optimistic because of clips like this:

"My Mystery"
    <iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/h0H2puQ-5OQ?list=UU7JDBUzkcwRGtQGia3_mMgQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  2. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I haven't really enjoyed a weezer album in a long while. Not since the Green Album, thing starting going downhill after that.

3. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I respectfully disagree. While their subsequent releases will never be the touchstones that are the Blue Album, Pinkerton, and the Green Album, I haven't found a suitable replacement for that crunchy, guitar-heavy, sad power-pop that Weezer hooked me on way back when.

Raditude especially is a secretly GREAT listen... granted it's very sophomoric lyrically.

As always, this is just my humble opinion.

1 person likes this.
  4. CCorn

CCorn Member

The members of weezer are so talented, they never make anything that sounds bad.... But at the same time I don't really care too much for any of their stuff outside of blue and Pinkerton. Every album has some great catchy songs, but nothing I am crazy about.

5. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Always thought the green album was underrated. I think it holds up we'll against the first two albums, but most people put it a tier below.

Other than that I like maybe a handful of songs on their past five albums. And still I will probably buy this latest one in a misguided attempt to re-live my youth. :eek:

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

If it's anywhere as good as Butterfly, I might give it a listen.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Seems like a good place to post this article about my favorite Weezer album.

1 person likes this.
  8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

At the risk of sounding like a Weezer snob, the first 2 albums were great. Everything after that is hit or miss.

I'm not one of those who automatically writes off their new material just because it's....well, new. But I do think they just haven't been the same since Matt Sharp left.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

those lyrics though...

Other than Say It Ain't So, ... kinda painful. Always enjoyed their sound though.

Not sure why they are putting grover on their new album cover, but maybe they want to find a younger audience? :confused:

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Cause Grover's awesome.

11. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Blue, Pinkerton, Green and Maladroit are all really amazing albums. Red was OK. Their best song since the 1st two albums has got to be The Greatest Man That Ever Lived off of the Red Album.

Make Believe, Raditude, Hurley, and Death to False Metal were oh so horrible though. I really wonder what the hell happened.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

My favorite off that one was Everybody Get Dangerous.

13. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I'll go out on a limb and say I liked Hurley.

14. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Awesome posts in here. Consensus seems to be:

Blue, Pinkerton, Green = Great
    Everything else = Hit or miss

Love that Rick Ocasek is back for this new one.

15. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Well, not everyone can be on the level of Supagroup.

Yes, I will continue to bring this up any time I see you put down a band I like. ;)

16. TheFreak

You could make a good compilation out of those albums though. Plenty of good tunes sprinkled around:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2TukUK7B8p4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nVuEikuTjk0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/m2YUZP7EDqQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/aSF0J4xG7w0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Hang On is a criminally underrated track.

18. TheFreak

No chatter about this album? What does it take to please you people?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lbLsgH-yn5c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sO3ulKpe9TY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jGUPsdOCZ-A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

It was a really, really good Weezer album. What else is there to add?

20. TheFreak

Well you're the first one to even add that. Nothing else needed really.