1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cinema] Tom Cruise's ‘Edge Of Tomorrow’

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Dec 11, 2013.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

"Edge of Tomorrow" Alternate Ending Details

Screenwriter Christopher McQuarrie was one of several credited writers on the screenplay for the recent Tom Cruise-led sci-fi epic "Edge of Tomorrow". Speaking with Film School Rejects, McQuarrie discussed some of the changes that happened to the material - specifically how the film was originally a much darker affair than the end result.

Apparently, Cruise was the one to stress the importance of the story's inherent dark humor - something even McQuarrie initially didn't see. Once that began to be incorporated, the film's controversial and more 'upbeat' current ending came into effect:

"I was always arguing it has to end on the helicopter. You have to be thrown back to wondering, 'Did the movie even happen? Did any of this really happen?' To that end, there were a million things you had to do with the writing and visually, to serve that ending. That presented a lot of challenges and debate for us. We really struggled to deliver what the movie needed to be emotionally.

I know the ending was somewhat controversial, with some people who didn't like it. I think the only way to make those people happy would to end the movie in a way that wasn't happy. We weren't interested in doing that. It needed to end in a way that wasn't harsh."

McQuarrie also revealed that an early version of the script had an even more out there third act, but it was too exposition heavy and exhausting to use:

"When Tom loses the power, and they go to Paris, and Tom is preparing the team as they go into Paris where he's telling them the rules of the movie, he tells the team everything the audience knows. Basically, he told them: 'Kill as many Mimics as you want, but do not kill an Alpha. If you kill an alpha we'll be right back here having this conversation, and we won't even know it. The enemy will know we're coming and they'll kill us all.'

When they get to Paris there's the classic horror movie scene where one of them gets separated from the group, and he gets attacked by an Alpha and kills it. As he kills it, you see the Omega reset the day and you see the point-of-view of the villain. We cut to the plane and hear the same speech all over again. This time when he gets to the line, 'You can bet they'll have a plan to kill us all,' the ship gets hit. As the audience, you realize the enemy knows they're coming. The problem was you were so exhausted by the time you got to that point."

For the full interview with more details about the alternate version,

http://filmschoolrejects.com/features/edge-of-tomorrow-ending-alternate.php

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/32799/-edge-of-tomorrow-alternate-ending-details

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It was a good movie. Solid story. Well done cinematography and acting.

Cruise... Basically played Cruise.

Emily Blunt didn't exactly stress her acting range throughout the movie... But showed range by dominating the movie as an actor in the first place. She stole her scenes.

That said for all the flaws in the movie... They way the got "caught" back with the general seems to be the biggest. Sure it's in hindsight ... But you have the thing you need, and you have the general hostage.... And you've had the chance to redo the day. Just stick it in your leg in the office before leaving, get the info, then have Blunt kill Cruise again, start over.

3. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

And hell you do that, maybe the General starts to believe you and doesn't call for reinforcements. Did seem a little odd. Where were they planning on going?

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

i really like that, *but* in his many, many deaths (which I enjoyed in a laugh-out-loud literally way), he usually dies at slightly different points, but he kept going back to the *exact* same drill sarg beginning.

5. Remix

Remix Member

Bump so I just watched this.

Question....

So when an Alpha dies the Omega resets time. Knowing this why didn't the Alpha just kill it self before Cruise even gets in the water to kill the Omega? Cruise does this multiple times to get another chance. If the Alpha knows the Omega is in trouble it should just kill itself to reset time. :confused:

6. JunkyardDwg

I think it's more that the Alpha was killed and its blood got on Tom Cruise, which activated the time reset when he died. When he failed to die later on he didn't go back.

7. rage

rage Member

When Cruise got the blood of the 1st Alpha spilled on him, he stole the ability to reset time and the Mimic lost the ability to do so. It's pretty dumb, I know, but that is how they explain it.

8. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

So did they ever explain why at the end Tom went back in time to when he was in the helicopter? Was is Tom that decided that is when he would go back to? Because he killed the Omega?

9. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

they needed a good ending. It did not fit with really anything else in the movie and I have never seen an explanation other than this. I think the ending has taken the most criticism because the rest of the film is pretty good.

As an aside, the book is excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The jumping is explained differently but that is mainly because the movie is very loosely based on the book. If you enjoyed the movie in the slightest, you would probably love the book. It is called "All You Need is Kill" by Hiroshi Sakurazaka.

10. Nero

Nero Member

Well, since it was Omega blood and not Alpha blood, the rules could have been different. Obviously he went back to an earlier time, but as to the why it was that exact moment, it's not specifically explained.

You could come up with all sort of theories - for example, the Mimic infestation had spread over a very large amount of space, they even got into England on the very same day that Cruise was brought to the training base. It could have been something along the lines of, he 'reset' back to the point in time at which he first crossed into their 'sphere of influence'.. since killing the Omega killed all the mimics in the world, apparently.. maybe the reset just extended out to the Omega's furthest physical influence, and that point in time was the first moment he 'crossed paths' with them, so to speak..

LOL who knows?

Just a random wild guess made up on the spur of the moment.

It's kind of fun though to try to make up workable theories.

11. JunkyardDwg

That ending battle in the book would have been awesome to see.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I liked the movie. Ending was meh, but I doubt a good sad ending would sell more tickets. I probably would've watched it on the big screen in hindsight, but Tom Cruise doesn't inspire the best confidence. They'd probably sell more seats if people knew he died a lot in many different ways.

Didn't know the book was based off a Japanese novel. There's even a manga...

13. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Pretty good exploration of all the plot holes, NSFW for language

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NYxfo57zSeg?showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

I'm glad I saw this before Source Code and was therefore able to enjoy both movies.

15. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Guy has one of the most annoying voices ever.

16. supdudes

supdudes Member

In other news, apparently TOP GUN 2 is going to be made.

17. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

That's what made it funny for me.

18. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I watch this movie pretty frequently...at least whenever it shows up on cable. Still very entertaining. Got one question, though, that I can't find an answer to. When they are in the barracks(?) and Sergeant Farell says "We're T minus haul ass h hour"...what the heck does that mean?

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/b0007aaa-af71-4153-ab7e-c911fae7ecca

Rocket River likes this.
  19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

....c...cable?

CCity Zero likes this.
  20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Let's not this into another Marvel movie thread...

B-Bob, CCity Zero, Ubiquitin and 3 others like this.