1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets and the Use of Screens

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by torocan, Apr 6, 2014.

1. torocan

torocan Member

There have been numerous comments throughout the season regarding the Rockets use of plays, whether they used them at all, were they screening, and how often were they screening.

For the most part it's been prompted by "gut" feeling, the eye test and observation of video, however that data does exist and could be extracted from sources such as Synergy and Vantage Sports.

Unfortunately, most of us don't have the time, desire or access to extract and compile that kind of data (it's time consuming, and really is a lot of work and the really nifty stuff is hidden behind pay for play).

Fortunately, there's always someone who IS willing to extract that data...

(excuse the formatting)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...s-still-begin-with-an-evolving-art-the-screen

Just some eyeball stuff...

1. We run the fewest screens per play in the NBA.
    2. We REALLY dislike running off ball screens.
    3. We run the fewest screens for PnR ball handlers.
    4. We rarely screen for the PnR roll man.

I suppose this raises a few questions...

Is this because of the offensive system being coached?
    Is this because we're gearing the offense around James Harden's preferences?
    Is this impacting the efficiency of our wing shooters and PG's (Bev, Lin, Canaan) and how much?

Vantage vs Synergy

Synergy screen data is raw screen data. It does not account for context of the screen, and only counts the total numbers of screens set.

Vantage has analysis which looks at points generated per screen. Shockingly enough, the teams which generate the most points per screen are the Spurs and the Thunder. They are also able to differentiate screening effectiveness in terms of whether a screen setter actually affects an opposing player.

http://blog.cacvantage.com/search?u...d-max=2015-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=5

I know, right? Who would imagine the Spurs use screens to get their players open and score efficiently?

In their context driven analysis, the team that gets the least points per screen is the Utah Jazz. I know that must make Trey Burke cry... :(

Anyway, just some more stuff to think about.

2 people like this.
  2. bmd

bmd Member

I said it in another thread just yesterday... I'm not really a fan of the Rockets' half-court offense. Too much standing around. Their offense is predictable.

The center initiates the offense by setting a high ball screen, the player with the ball penetrates and scores or passes out. That player pump fakes and attempts to drive. Rinse and repeat. If they can't get a shot off before the clock starts dwindling down, they'll pass to Harden and he'll make a move and take a step-back jump shot.

They score because they have good players. If they ran a better offense, they'd get easier shots.

3. TheJet

TheJet Member

Great post. I agree about the screens, especially in the slower half court offense. We all know what happens in the playoffs and I for one am concerned.

Regarding WHY they don't run many screens? No clue. McHale and/or the coaching staff doesn't key on it? Maybe they're just trying to "out athlete" guys to get open off ball or around their man one on one? Player youth/immaturity not utilizing every facet of the game? I wonder if the question has ever been asked in a media session?

It's odd though, because when players do set screens (good screens, thanks Asik) we can really break down defenses by forcing switches and rotations. You'd think they'd go to that well more often.

4. Raynesis

Raynesis Member

Dwight Howard.

5. torocan

torocan Member

Not sure I buy that. Memphis has TWO post players on the floor at all times and they Still run more screens than us.

Given the high number of Driving/penetration ball handlers and outside shooters, putting this all on Dwight doesn't make sense to me.

Unless you're seeing something that I'm not seeing...

6. bmd

bmd Member

Well, to be fair, Gasol is utilized in the high post which is perfect for getting him the ball and setting off ball screens so he can pass to open guys off of screens.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Don't miss the forest for the trees. We have one of the best offenses in the NBA which is the only thing that really counts.

These numbers don't mean much because as an offense, we want to run get early offense as much as possible. Between the early offense and the post ups, we aren't going to use a lot of screens as a percentage. A screen usage percentage number only in half court sets would be more useful.

1 person likes this.
  8. torocan

torocan Member

On the other hand you also have Detroit with Andre Drummond and Josh Smith. Josh Smith isn't exactly a post player or parked at the high post all the time facilitating like Gasol. And they run more screens as well.

I can believe that the presence of Howard is a factor, I guess I just find it hard to believe he's the Only factor, or even the principal factor considering there are other teams with traditional centers demanding post touches and they're still setting considerably more screens.

Dunno... maybe other folks have some insight as well?

9. torocan

torocan Member

The screen numbers are ONLY in the half court set. They completely exclude transition buckets.

10. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

It would be helpful to order the teams

11. torocan

torocan Member

Nobody is stopping you... :rolleyes:

12. Normalus

Normalus Member

Actually Howard and Donuts are the only who does screen's and play PnR

13. yummyhawtsauce

Numbers don't surprise me. It doesnt' seem like rockets set many screens or at least it does not stand out.

Here's a question for you: How about the quality of screens? I notice that Lin and Bev both have trouble fighting screens, while when we set a screen for them, the opponents have no trouble going around our screen and doubling the ball handler. And I notice that OKC/Clippers always set great screens.

Thoughts?

14. archinkent

archinkent Member

Who needs screens when you can just pump fakes? :p

15. MONON

MONON Member

Not speaking for Raynesis, but I think he was referring to Dwight's stated preference not his ability to posting up rather than running PnRs.

16. Nanisteru

Nanisteru Rookie

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. torocan

torocan Member

Thanks Nanis.

18. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

I think this is a product of having a read-and-react system type of offense with young players. While the system is very good and can produce good results, it highly relies in experience and basketball IQ - both of which we are severely lacking. :\

19. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

Our system is similar to Miami's. Miami is also near the bottom and they don't have a post threat. Ergo, nothing concerning about the number of screens in our offense.

20. FeaR

FeaR Member

Yeah, a player like James Harden lacks basketball IQ, that's why he doesn't call for a pnr :rolleyes: