1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All The Evidence You Need: Why Rockets Aren't Championship Material

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets94-95, Apr 2, 2014.

1. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

The last 17 teams to win the NBA championship held their opponents to an average 92.3 points per game (I would have gone further but that's as far back as stats.nba.com went).

The 2013-14 Rockets team gives up 102 points per game. Even fully loaded and with everyone healthy, the Rockets as currently constructed/coached/etc stand no chance.

NBA Champions/Opponents Average Points Per Game

2012-13: Miami (95 ppg)
    2011-2012: Miami (92.5 ppg)
    2010-11: Dallas (96 ppg)
    2009-10: Lakers (97 ppg)
    2008-09: Lakers (99.2 ppg)
    2007-08: Boston (90.2 ppg)
    2006-07: San Antonio (90.1 ppg)
    2005-06: Miami (96 ppg)
    2004-05: San Antonio (88.4 ppg)
    2003-04: Detroit (84.3 ppg)
    2002-03: San Antonio (90.4 ppg)
    2001-02: Lakers (94.2 ppg)
    2000-01: Lakers(97.2 ppg)
    1999-2000: Lakers (92.3 ppg)
    1998-99: San Antonio (84.7 ppg)
    1997-98: Chicago (89.6 ppg)
    1996-97: Chicago (92.3 ppg)

2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Well, guess I should stop watching the team now.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Ummm. Your stats seem to indicate 99 ppg average is doable. Not 92.3

:p

4. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Rox have the least qualified head coaching ever. But then again this is not even close to being a contending team.

5. N/A

N/A Member

realistically speaking, no one should've had expectations to win a championship the 1st year a roster is together. At the very least it'll happen next year or the year after.

6. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

I included the list to show the details. While holding opponents to 99.2 ppg was good enough for one team to win a championship, all of the others gave up 97 or less. Even at the 99 ppg standard, the difference between holding opponents to 102 ppg and 99 ppg is very significant over the course of an NBA season.

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

We need a productive PF in the worst way. Ours only find their stride 1 out of 5 games. Unacceptable.

1 person likes this.
  8. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

Not necessarily. I for one will continue to watch them even though I think they have no chance at a title this year. The purpose of the post was to illustrate that defense matters and until the Rockets up their game (holding opponents to less than 100 ppg over a season, they stand little chance of winning a title based on history as it has unfolded over the last 17 seasons.

9. adobo

adobo Member

I bet we have a better chance of winning the title over 22 other teams in the NBA, thats all i need to know.

10. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Well, which one is it?

11. Jblazea50

Jblazea50 Member

Problem with the team is neither the 2 or 3 plays any defense. Check the teams that makes it far or wins it all, they all have that starter in either the 2 or 3 that can lock up their guy from going off.

Harden and Parsons defense is atrocious. Until Parsons (Harden won't and shouldn't be expected to) is told to focus mainly on defense, this team's ceiling is 2nd round.

Every team that are legit contender has a perimeter defender that's very good. This team is missing that guy.

12. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

I agree with you 100 percent on the first sentence. Barring significant personnel and/or coaching changes, I definitely differ on the statement in your next sentence.

13. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

My bad--should have said "no chance" in both instances.

14. adobo

adobo Member

I don't have the stats, but i'm guessing our pace is a lot higher than most of the teams on that list.

15. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Champions expect to be champions every year no matter what.

16. pippsux

pippsux Member

Well thanks for that, I will just Bury my rocket fandom in the closet for now, pull out my world cup fandom for a month, then wait till next year to fully expect a ring and support like a red rowdy, that's if the bandwagon fans don't take all the seats.

Stats can be manipulated to say what you want it to say. The 95 rockets won a title with no home court, and had to go thru elite teams to just get to the final, before beating a juggernaut magic team with the best inside outside combo at the time...mm no I'm sorry that 6th seed whipped the magic in 4.
    Show me a stat that says that was going to happen.....i double dare you.

17. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

If you were thinking we would actually be real contenders coming in to this season and during this season, you were going to be really disappointed.

I think any realistic fan would say that, hopefully, by year 2 and definitely by year 3 of the Harden/Howard era, this team would be real championship contenders, barring any significant changes ie injuries or a third star. The only way this team could win a championship this season was to basically have a perfect season: Harden/Howard combo proves to be deadly by the get go, Howard becomes somewhat of a threat in the low post, Asik accepts his back up role early on so the Rockets have a whole season of elite rim protection, Lin becomes the 6th man most people thought he would become, we shoot above league average from 3 the majority of the season, our bench steps up, and we remain relatively healthy.

Arguably, none of those things have took place this season. But we are still a young team, trying to integrate the best center in the league. Our bench needs major improvements and added veteran leadership/deep playoff experience and overall, our every player on team still needs to grow up. I mean, we all saw how poor Harden played early in the season, but I think now he understands what he needs to do to be a superstar, even if he slips up now and again. Our whole team needs to grow and find their roles, then we can truly compete for a championship.

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Starting center, power forward and point guard out due to injurys and illness, we shouldn't be downing the rockets right now for these losses.

19. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

We just need to hold a couple of opponents to 50 and we'll be closer to the 90's. Then we're legit.

20. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

anyone know what the suns pace was when they should of own a chip if it wasnt for the hi check inccident, they would have benn a +100 OP ppg team for sure.

i love fans, its always has to be done a certain way until someone dispells it. just like miami did with the small ball theory of not being able to win a title.

before that it was live and die by the 3 isnt a good strategy and then after the 94 rockets dispelled that fans used the hakeem excuse, then when dallas did it they used the dirk excuse and when the spurs/heat last finals did it they use lebron/duncan,parker exuse.

with the nba pace and efficiency improving it is only a matter of time before teams start winning it all with +100 OP PPG