1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin worth a first round pick? A lottery pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by haydenfisher342, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Carlos Boozer, Andrea Bargnani ? I'm sure the Pistons would love to get rid of Charlie Villanueva.

2. GTRockets

GTRockets Member

King1 picks his fights carefully. He only messes with people who he feels he can successfully pummel. That's why he fears me. Because he can't handle what im cooking.

3. Hibrido

Hibrido Member

Exactly. People saying Lin is untradable have no idea how many bad contracts there are in the NBA. Lin is at least contributing to the Rockets but I guess the posters saying Lin is a net negative would prefer Charlie "My favourite fan has 2 tattoos of me" Villanueva instead.

4. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Don't think Knick fans are this brutal to Amare.

5. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I successfully pummel all LOFs but that is hardly an accomplishment as you guys do most of the work for me with your inane posting and strange obsession over a mediocre basketball player. There's not a whole lot I could say that would reflect worse then being male groupies. Like I've said multiple times, I feel sorry for you guys. I find your pictures on different social media outlets and of course laugh initially but after that I wonder how anyone could lead such a sad existence.

I will say I think it's cute how you guys "call me out" and then report me to the mods when you get obliterated. Just another characteristic of the low esteem LOFs have.

Enjoy your Saturday little fella' and try to avoid mirrors.

6. King1

There's a few reasons for that. Amare doesn't have a delusional fan base. You won't see fans of his crying racism, blaming the coach or his teammates for his failures, wishing injury on others players, ect...Amare has had significant injuries and thus obviously can't perform up to his contract. He was once an elite player in the league as one of the best offensive big men (never defended though). Lin is a mediocre (or we can call him average for argument's sake here as I don't care to debate it with you and I'm sure you feel the same way) player who carries with him a group of clueless fans who think he's an All-Star caliber player with Tony Parker or Steve Nash upside. It's completely ridiculous. You've been around long enough to see plenty of guys get killed on this board. Tmac got destroyed (and still does buy a few) and was one of the best players in the league. The best comparison I've seen people make though regarding lin is Rafer Alston. He was starting for us (and likely wouldn't start for most teams just like Lin) made a ton of frustrating turnovers and was bashed daily. Had Rafer had Lin's following of delusional groupies I'm sure it would have been just like this is for Lin.

7. Rockets590

Rockets590 Rookie

King1 continue to cower. Find a post of mine that qualifies me as a LOF. I dare ya.

8. Rockets590

Rockets590 Rookie

In all seriousness though I don't care anymore I also just like causing trouble.

9. Darrinlane

Darrinlane Member

You are now my favorite poster on Clutchcity.com.......other than DA

10. Darrinlane

Darrinlane Member

Don't get me wrong. I love anyone that wears our team gear. I just feel that he is cap hell for a very average player that got hot for a month or whatever. I like the guy....just not the contract.

11. Rockets590

Rockets590 Rookie

3yrs for 5 mill would be fair. He's inconsistent.

12. tksense

tksense Member

I think by now, many have tuned out this lin war and either turned into trolls or don't comment anymore (avoiding instigation). While new fans are annoying to you lofhs, I still think it's worth something to understand where they come from as fellow sports fans, rather than branding them "delusional", because their feelings can be traced to or supported by real-life events:

1. Lin has all-star potential: Lin broke records and had displayed such level of play when given the keys. Therefore it's not delusional to project this potential. He does have a flair even shown at times this season.

2. Blaming others for Lin's failures: this is tenuous but not completely out of nowhere. To make it clear, Lin's not a failure, he's done fine for his role mixed in with some bad habits like most players. Only when you hate a guy will u see lin as failure while ignoring positives.

2B. Blaming others for Lin's lack of success: his fans want sustained high caliber play, but Lin's given role does not let him play to his strength, while his spot up shooting, tho improved, remain mediocre.

2C. Blaming others for Lin's lack of opportunity: this was actually the main draw for his fanbase.

linsanity happened precisely because no one gave this kid a chance, stashed away as a third stringer, or in D-league (doesn't belong). It were the coaches who never gave him a look, Carmelo who "killed linsanity", etc, these sentiments have some roots.

Combine the two, linsanity - which was very captivating for many ppl across the country, not just asian.

If you remember the ultimate underdog story, the overnight explosion into superstardom. It's hard to believe now, that this statement was not out of place or exaggerated.

So yeah this kind of story is prone to attract some "only fans" whose priority differs from team fans, but if you can be more understanding, you need not paint LOFs in your mind into some unreasonable creatures.

Btw I remember Steve Nash mentions even from magic Johnson or dantoni when lin first broke into the scene as a go-to-guy. While your opinion differs, the other side does not have to be "clueless", imo.

Baiting go nowhere it ain't fun nomo, time to retire LOTrolls. Thanks.

13. King1

You're being civil so I will as well despite us on being on very different sides of the spectrum.

1. No, he doesn't in terms or ability, upside or potential. He may get voted in at some point but it won't be on merit of his play. He had a hot streak, it''s a great story and made him a lot of money. Good for him as by all accounts he's a great person. We've seen him now play for two seasons and he's the same player he was since day one outside of an improved 3 point shot. He was a 4 year college player and looks to be a completely finished product (unfortunately for us). The upside talk is just something his fans use as a crutch for his incredibly inconsistent play. That's just reality.

2. 'Failures" was not calling a failure. You're not grasping context in this case. Every player experiences failures as well as every person. Lin has not been ok in his role in my opinion. If you want to search my post history I actually thought Lin would excel in a 6h man role. He hasn't done that. I don't hate Jeremy Lin the person. He's a great guy. As a player I don't want him on my team for what we pay him.

2B. See, I don't care what his fans want. I care about what's best for the Rockets. We had suffered through years of mediocrity and finally have a team primed to make noise and contend. The scrutiny has increased for all fans. Lin has a nice story but that doesn't win games. As to his current role, he needs to adjust to that. If he's the potential "star" you believe him to be then one would think that in two seasons he could have adjusted his game. That's what stars do. Want examples; look at the two best teams in their respective conferences; SA and Miami. All their stars adjusted and adapted to win. Lin doesn't have that capability because he is a role player.

2C. Again, that isn't relevant to the rockets winning games.

This to me is absurd. The kid went to Harvard for 4 years, made it into the NBA and you want to contend that "nobody gave him a chance"? He was on multiple NBA teams before finally settling in. That means a bunch of top talent evaluaters (much more trained then yourself or I) looked at him and decided he was not worth a roster spot. Obviously, he is an NBA caliber player and he is is playing in the NBA so I don't see the issue or great injustice a lot of ou guys project. If anything, it's made him a great living that would not have happened had he not been Taiwanese.

No denying he has a great story and I think most enjoyed seeing the kid make it. We are beyond that now though. Just because he has a great story doesn't mean that we shouldn't be realistic or create fiction in regards to his on court play.

14. zdrav

zdrav Member

Many fans are embarrassingly ignorant when it comes to contracts. They think $8 million/year is "superstar" money.

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I think what people mean by net negative is that let's say there was a team with enough cap space to take Lin for a conditional 2nd rounder that they would never have to actually convey, so basically capable of taking Lin for nothing, that even that team would want a sweetner or for you take something they have but didn't want in the deal because of the actual salary owed.

16. Type Raba

Type Raba Member

you are what i call a "doubter". not a "hater" but a "doubter". some things are just unknown, and you will err on the side of "he's just not that good". for example you say we've seen him for 2 full seasons, yet it was 1 season starting next to harden and 1 season off the bench. neither situation is enough to make a definitive conclusion. can you basically say this about almost every player? YES! but since lin is such a hot topic everything is blown out of proportion....

17. downbytheriver

Every player in the NBA and NBDL has all star potential. Luke Ridnour, Ramon Sessions, Darrelll Armstrong all had better in season runs compared to Lin's 2 wk charade. It's all about timing for guys who get a chance to show off their skills. But what makes a player NBA calibre is an ability to perform once scouted, once forced to play something more than pickup basketball. And that's why it's hilarious to see the excuses LOF make simply because they're the same race... With very little understanding of basketball... Or women.. Or anything grown men like kong1 and I take for granted.

18. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

You devote your life to fight some imaginary Lin fan screen names in the virtual world by typing with your keyboard. That is the definition of a sad existence, and a pathetic and laughable one too.

19. King1

I do? That's news to me. The real truth is I upset you to the point you lose your cool on the internet and are grasping at straws trying to save face. Walk it off little fella'. I'd normally say "there will be better days" but in your case we both know that isn't accurate

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

8 million is "star" money. MLE is the average salary in the NBA, which is what average players like Lin should make.