1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Were the Saudis directly involved in the 9/11 attacks?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by t4651965, Nov 23, 2002.

1. t4651965

t4651965 Member

2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hey, I am not going to say they were directly involved. But if they actually paid, and I mean the actual rulers, then we should confront them about it.

3. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I actually saw a television ad tonight promoting Saudi Arabia as our partner against terrorism. It was sponsored by the Saudi government. Interesting that they've attempted to take their message to the American people directly through television advertising.

4. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

The Saudi government pays the families of suicide bombers. That's sponsoring terrorism. The bottom line is that we need the bases in Saudi Arabia in order to conduct out ouster of Saddam. At some point, we will have a day of reckoning with the Saudis.

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

uhh I don't think its the saudi's paying for it ... i think its groups like al quada.

I don't know if the saudi's knew they were intentionally funding terrorists, but if they did, they need a good ass whooping.

Then again, buying drugs off the street is probably funding terrorist in one way or another .... so whats the difference?

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I have never read about any direct involvement by the Saudi royal family. Have you?

I do suspect that the Saudi royals know that this type thing does go on inside their country. At worst, they may encourage it. At best, they may turn a blind eye to it.

7. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

<A HREF="http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,51252,00.html">Documents: Saudis Paid Bombers' Families</A>

<A HREF="http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/10/11/1034222594466.html">Israel tries to stem Iraqi "blood money"</A>

<A HREF="http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/001/231lukti.asp">The Saudi-Terror Subsidy</A>

<A HREF="http://www.washtimes.com/upi-breaking/09042002-050314-4015r.htm">Saudi Arabia sets aside $50M for 'martyrs'</A>

<A HREF="http://216.26.163.62/2002/me_saudis_07_04.html">Israeli report details Saudi funding for Palestinian militants</A>

<A HREF="http://www.house.gov/fossella/pr020412.htm">Reps. Fossella, Maloney, Ferguson, Crowley & Nadler
    Denounce the Saudi Arabian Gov't for Paying the Families of Palestinian Suicide Bombers</A>

<i>
    Staten Island, NY -- Congressman Vito Fossella (R-NY13), Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney (D-NY14), Congressman Mike Ferguson (R-NJ7), Congressman Joseph Crowley (D-NY7) and Congressman Jerold Nadler (D-NY8) today denounced the Saudi Arabian government for establishing a $200 million fund to give money to the families of Palestinian homicide bombers during a press conference this afternoon outside the Saudi Arabian Mission to the UN.

The lawmakers also released a letter urging the United States Treasury Department to investigate freezing the assets of anyone who has contributed to the fund, known as the Saudi Committee for the Support of Al-Quds Intifada, which has received $50 million from the Saudi Arabian government and is administered by the Saudi Arabian Interior Minister, Prince Nayef bin Abdulaziz.
    <b>
    The existence of the fund first came to light this week in published reports, but is described in detail in a March 20, 2001, statement on the website of the Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia (www.saudiembassy.net) and attributed to Dr. Ibrahim Al-Assaf, the Saudi Arabian Minister of Finance and National Economy. The statement says,
    "The fund has resources of $200 million, with the Kingdom's share at $50 million, and targets the families of victims of the intifada, specifically to educate the sons of martyrs and rehabilitate the injured...The committee...has pledged a sum of $5,333 to each family that has suffered from martyrdom. A total of $33.07 million has been transferred for this purpose, and to provide for the injured."

A second statement by the Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia dated April 1, 2001 adds, "Financial assistance is currently being extended to the families of those martyred."
    </b>
    The lawmakers also asked the Treasury Department to investigate freezing the assets of anyone who has contributed to a second organization, which according to published reports, appears to have been established by Saudi King Fahd and recently raised more than $56 million via a televised telethon. According to reports, King Fahd donated $2.7 million and Crown Prince Abdulah donated $1.35 million. The stated goal of the fundraiser was, in part, to help secure money for the families of Palestinian "martyrs," which is typically a euphemism for homicide bombers.

Fossella said, "Our nation has experienced the evil of those who claim to be martyrs, but who in reality are nothing more than cold-blooded murderers. When organizations, entities, nations or individuals establish funding sources to help spread terrorism, all people of all nations are at risk. Whether a homicide bombing in a Jerusalem market or a terrorist attack in the streets of New York, terrorism in all forms must be rooted out and destroyed. I strongly believe that the ability of organizations, entities, nations and individuals to provide the financial incentive to promote terrorism must be eliminated. It is disgraceful that the Saudi Arabian government and the Saudi royal family appear to be inciting acts of terror."

Maloney said, "Just hours ago, yet another suicide bomber struck Israel. Every nation has the right to protect its population against terrorists and we must help by paralyzing their financial resources. We are calling on the Treasury Secretary to take immediate and appropriate action."

Crowley said, "We are not talking about noble men and women who have perished for their cause with dignity and honor. We are talking about ruthless savages who have slaughtered innocent civilians in cafes and buses. They are not martyrs. They are murderers."

Ferguson said, "The Saudis have significantly undermined the peace process with this 'fund of terror.' Instead of working to end the violence, they are providing blood money to further the murder of innocent men, women and children."

Nadler said, "Saudi Arabia, who has extended themselves as a broker of peace in the Middle East, must first police themselves. This means shutting down organizations within their borders that are supporting terrorism and ending the despicable practice of providing financial incentives to suicide bombers." Nadler went on to say, "It is imperative that Secretary O' Neill treat this situation in the way the Administration has treated every situation since the War on Terrorism: If entities within Saudi Arabia, or the government of Saudi Arabia, are supporting terrorism, their assets should be frozen immediately."

Peter King (R-NY3) said, "It is imperative that we dismantle the financial infrastructure of Al-Quds and disrupt their incentive to incite terror and murder innocent civilians."

The lawmakers urged Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill to use his authority granted under Executive Order 13224, dated September 24, 2001, to investigate both the Saudi Committee for the Support of Al Quds Intifada and the telethon and, if appropriate, freeze their assets, the assets of those who provide financial support to these and any other organizations or entities that provide financial compensation to terrorists or their families.

Saudi Arabia joins Iraq in providing financial incentives for Palestinians who engage in acts of terrorism, and in particular, suicide bombings that target Israelis. Saddam Hussein has offered $25,000 to the families of suicide bombers</i>

Now off to other projects.

#7 Mango, Nov 24, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2002