1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KNICKS: Frye - How good is he?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rocket River, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I have not watched the kid
    but
    they shut him down for the season [injury]
    and they basically saying he is untouchable on the trade lines

I don't watch them much . . .is he really good?

Rocket River

2. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

He's a very good midrange shooter, but he's also a sieve on defense. He's been this way for years, I'm not sure he'll toughen up. He certainly has the size to be a physical presence, but he needs the mindset.

3. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

He has good touch at to about 15 feet, hes smooth and fluid around the basket. He isn't a great rebounder and is hardly a good shotblocker. He's athletic, but nothing that makes you go wow. He's plays like KG, but without as much explosion and ball handling.

4. pchan

pchan Member

Some of the description sounds like JUwan HOward.. I remember how when juwan first got into the league...

5. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

he's decent. Don't know if he'll be an upper echelon type player, possibly an allstar.

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I like Frye, I think he'll be a good player in the league for years to come. Like others have said, he's got a nice mid-range jumper. Not a great rebounder or dominant big man, but with some strength training, he could be a pretty good.

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

He tailed off pretty severly after Jan came. He had a 9 20+ point games in his first 30, and then only one game with 20 after (against the Nets at the end of Feb).

Great size, pretty fluid, but not much strength or rebounding. Nothing to talk about with interior D. Better facing the basket and has a better knack at stealing an offense board than protecting the rebound on D. He might be something, but he also might be a big regret if Isiah pulled out of a big trade over him.

Evan

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I was thinking Mo Taylor.

9. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

he's a good player, and should be a good starter for awhile but he does need to get stronger and learn to play defense better.

10. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I haven't seen a lot of him, but what I have seen has left me unimpressed.

imo, him being untouchable is a joke. IT is confusing the leagues lust with young big men for landing a franchise pivot player if that is the case. Or perhaps IT is just a card carrying member of the super adventure club.

11. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

I think he can be a great role player. Not the type of player to dominate and carry a team by himself in his prime. More like Juwan like someone mentioned but with a little bit more quickness.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

interesting

Rocket River
    i will have to watch Knicks team . . . perhaps IT is crazy enough to make it work

13. kanevil

kanevil Contributing Member

For some reason, the Knicks are really high on him saying he's untouchable.

14. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think he is untouchable because he is a young, promising, cheap player. Something the Knicks are almost totally devoid of. Thomas wants to hold on to him so he can say, "See! See what I did! I'm not totally non-intelligent!"

15. sydmill

sydmill Member

well, I for one came away impressed after watching him early in the season. he and villanueva are the two biggest surprises for me from this year's rookie class. I might be reaching, but I see a potential Marcus Camby with scoring pop in Frye...

16. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

The word untouchable is too commonly used... Untouchable only because no one in their right mind would trade a up-coming star or top 3 pick for him. Hypothetically if we offer Yao to the Knicks, they would trade us anyone of their list and then some. Heck, I am willing to bet they would do a straight swap for Chris Bosh or even Joe Johnson without a blink.

-G'day-

17. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Considering that every team the Knicks had trade discussions with asked if he was available says different about his potential. If I were a GM and the first name anybody asked me about was Channing Frye, I'd be like Zeke and would think I had a gold mine in the kid.

His defense needs work but I blame that on LB, his whole team is not playing D on anybody right now. He has a nice mid-range game for a big man and has nice moves around the basket to develop a low post game. Has enough athleticism but could afford to bulk up some. Smart player, good attitude, solid NBA citizen. Probably not going to be a superstar like TD but I like his game and potential.

18. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Marcus Camby? I don't think Frye will ever be that kind of dominating defensive force (I actually see him topping out at around 2 BPG, if that high). I would place him more in the Mo Taylor mold that's already been mentioned: a very competent scorer, but lacks will on the defensive and rebounding fronts.