1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets Willing to Rent Melo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da_Spark, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

"The Rockets have emerged as a candidate for the services of Carmelo Anthony, and are reportedly willing to trade for him without an assurance that he will sign an extension."

Chris Broussard writes, "Houston has the young talent (Jordan Hill, Chase Budinger), expiring contracts and draft picks the Nuggets covet." It's still hard to see a team acquiring him on a 'rental' beating out a team that can sign him to an extension, but we'll add their name to the shortlist of possible destinations including the Knicks and Nets

Source: ESPN

Lock if posted.

2. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

The article states that to lure the Nuggets to trade Carmelo teams would have to consume Al Harrington's contract. What is the current feeling on Al Harrington as a Rocket at Clutchfans? Would he fit in Houston?

3. Dei

Dei Member

Harrington's a chucker. Never heard of him having a good attitude, either.

4. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

He might be a chucker, but he can score with anyone in this league when gets hot. If we can bring in another team thats willimng to take Yao's contract and gives us something the nuggets want and we keep Martin, we will be contenders

Lowry
    Martin
    Anthony
    Scola
    Hayes

Thats an amazingly good team with a guy like Harrington coming off the bench.

5. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

we trash players like tracy mcgrady and then trade for a dumb diva who wants to bolt his team for NYC cos of the shiny lights. :confused:

1 person likes this.
  6. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Bad idea. You don't gamble like that, too much risk at stake when Melo hasn't shown any interest and has made it clear he wants to play in New York.

7. jae713

jae713 Member

Morey's plan would probadly be to convince Melo to sign once he is here. IMO he feels that if he can just get Melo to play here, he will like it and sign. But it is very risky. If we trade our young assets and Melo doesn't resign, I imagine there will be alot of people asking for Morey's head (me included) around town. If it were me I wouldn't make the trade withough Melo agreeing to resign.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

There's something seriously messed up here if we're actually in the race. If Denver isn't even willing to take gazillion picks + Favors from NJ, what the hell do we have for them?

I think this is more of a smokescreen by the Nuggets to drive up the price from the Nets.

9. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

I would too. At the expense of Yao's contract, why not? But it depends what else theyre giving up

10. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

As long as Nene is involved in the trade, I don't mind taking the risk on Melo

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

For the millionth time, we would obtain his bird rights. Financially, it's in Melo's best interest to work out a SnT. In this probable scenario, we would retain some assets from NY.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

But the assets you get then really are not special. It's not like Cleveland or Toronto got great packages in their sign and trades with Miami. Moreover, given the ? over the new CBA, seems way too risky. I gotta believe smokescreen or really thinks Melo will ultimately sign an extension.

13. Jeasy713

Jeasy713 Member

My two cents... (and I don't say much)
    Look at Morey's track record, losing good young talent will not hurt our team, he's proven he can get good young talent nearly anywhere in the draft. We haven't even played our first round draft pick this year. Losing CBud or Hill or even PatPat won't set us back like the trade for Barkley did. Renting Melo will increase revenue this year and give us some hope of playoff success. It's another no lose situation in my opinion. Besides our good young talent isn't exactly lighting the world on fire. (although Hill has been creating some highlight reels)

1 person likes this.
  14. pge71188

pge71188 Member

DONT TRADE JORDAN HILL :( Trade PPAT instead

15. aeolus13

aeolus13 Contributing Member

That's a good point. In this move, Morey's probably betting that even if he has no desire to stay in Houston, he'll still sign the extension because he stands to lose millions otherwise. If we can convince him to stay, great. If not, we can flip him for a pile of loot in a SnT. I'm not an expert on the CBA, but I think this is possible.

If this is the case, the only way we lose is if he either refuses to sign the extension or demands a trade to a team that has nothing we want (Knicks)

16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Indeed. Nothing the rockets have to offer can trump Favors and the picks the nets have. I like some of the young talent, but no one has the upside of favors.

17. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

This. No knuckleheads.

18. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Well not really...this is not an advantage to getting melo without an etension...quite the opposite. There is no telling what the new cba will set up for players, and 2011 is likey a lockout. Melo wont be able to sign with the knicks until after the lock out...union rules. that means half or all of 2011 season he would be unemployed ... no one costs themselves 18 million...NO ONE.

Then after that theres no telling if there is even going to be a benefit to doing a SNT... They could do away with all that stuff and the exceptions...make it a hard cap and bam...nada.

I think the more realistic possibility, and I think this is what daryl morey sees, is getting melo...then continue to put pieces around him this year with our remaining young guard talent and Trade exceptions. (which may not be in play after this season). So that he will stay knowing that his future over the next two years is uncertain....like I said at the very least he does not use his eto and guarantees himself 18 million in the lockout year. This gives another year or half year or whatever to talk to him...and add pieces hed except like chris paul ...etc.

19. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Sends chills down my spine reminding me of the chuckwagon deal. I loved chuck, but getting him at the end of his career for sam I am and robert horry set this organization back for years to come.....I always felt we did not do our due diligence in signing chuckwagon either. Karl Malone owned him his entire career, and it just became a fact of life we could not beat the jazz after trading for him.

20. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Guys that is stupid...the nets are giving everything they can...Melo wont go there if they give up any more... the whole point of the T will trade was to let them move less actual player assets so there is some semblance of a team when melo gets there.

Nets offer is as good as it gets...im sure there is plenty of 2 and 3 team deals that nets are using with their draft picks on. If I am the nuggets id rather have seasoned rookies where you know what you are getting on cheap contracts. Like budinger, hill, and lee and t will. Even if you get someone better in draft with 10th pick or so...your not guaranteed performance for a couple years.

When the nuggets get these players they can start immediately and begin to blossom. I realize people think we overvalue our talent....BUT

Courtney lee in demand.
    J hill has to be with the way hes playing ( WAYY BETTER THAN FAVORS) and in probably the same total minutes.
    T will...that dude is nasty and I guarantee there is interest...but we prob want to hold on to him.
    Aaron brooks was MIP with a 2 mil contract...with new cba coming. Can you say steal? If I am not mistaken it is the coaches that vote on the MIP...so there is a considerable amount of love for him.
    Kevin Martin is coveted and was coveted by dallas, orlando, boston and other teams. Those are 3 of top teams this year.

Most importantly I believe Yaos contract is the key to this whole thing. Yao plus hill and budinger straight up for melo. saves the nuggets tons of money with luxury because of the injury then actual cash as insurance covers 8 million. That could be around 14 million in savings...THEN

We eat 1 or 2 contracts with TEs and draft picks for nene and harrington...in seperate but simultaneous transactions.

I dont believe there is a

1 person likes this.