1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NYTimes] Commissioner Silver: "Allow gambling on pro games"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Richie_Rich, Nov 14, 2014.

?

Should the NBA allow gambling on games?

Poll closed Jan 13, 2015.
  1. Yes, people are already doing it

32 vote(s)
    84.2%
  2. No, the league should protect the integrity of the game

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  3. Not sure...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Who cares, it's all rigged anyway

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Legalize and Regulate Sports Betting

Quote from NY Times Op-Ed piece written by Adam Silver:
    BETTING on professional sports is currently illegal in most of the United States outside of Nevada. I believe we need a different approach.

For more than two decades, the National Basketball Association has opposed the expansion of legal sports betting, as have the other major professional sports leagues in the United States. In 1992, the leagues supported the passage by Congress of the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act, or Paspa, which generally prohibits states from authorizing sports betting.

Outside of the United States, sports betting and other forms of gambling are popular, widely legal and subject to regulation. In England, for example, a sports bet can be placed on a smartphone, at a stadium kiosk or even using a television remote control.

In light of these domestic and global trends, the laws on sports betting should be changed. Congress should adopt a federal framework that allows states to authorize betting on professional sports, subject to strict regulatory requirements and technological safeguards.

These requirements would include: mandatory monitoring and reporting of unusual betting-line movements; a licensing protocol to ensure betting operators are legitimate; minimum-age verification measures; geo-blocking technology to ensure betting is available only where it is legal; mechanisms to identify and exclude people with gambling problems; and education about responsible gaming.

Let me be clear: Any new approach must ensure the integrity of the game. One of my most important responsibilities as commissioner of the N.B.A. is to protect the integrity of professional basketball and preserve public confidence in the league and our sport. I oppose any course of action that would compromise these objectives.

But I believe that sports betting should be brought out of the underground and into the sunlight where it can be appropriately monitored and regulated.

Wow, what a fascinating turn of events.

It wasn't long ago (2007) that the Tim Donaghy betting scandal rocked the NBA.

How soon until the league expands and delivers an NBA franchise to Las Vegas?

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Go Adam Silver. Fight the power with common sense.

I wonder what Adam Silver thinks about legalizing mar1juana.

3. heypartner

Why are we playing games in Mexico City?

I strongly feel every team should have one "home game" a year in Vegas, where current NBA STHs get right of first refusal for their one game as part of their STH package, and Vegas gets the remaining for 30 NBA games to sell as a Vegas NBA team by proxy.

But they would have to build a stadium.

Don't think it would be too hard to find Vegas investors to build an NBA quality stadium, in like 2 or 3 phone calls.

4. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Totally agree. Pretty sure Vegas has obtained proposals/blueprints for at least 10 stadium concepts. Just waiting for Silver's blessing to build.

5. heypartner

Silver's comments are clearly trying to break down this last barrier to having an NBA franchise in Vegas...gambling is in the way.

Question I'm asking on top of this is: does Silver already have the power to allow neutral court games in Vegas as well as Mexico City? Hence, my proposal to allow each team one "home" game in Vegas...that's 30 games...surely enough for a stadium?

However, a new big indoor venue might be lobbied against by MGM and others for fear of losing their big music and fighting events.

what say you Kwame?

6. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Will Other Leagues Join N.B.A.? Don’t Bet on It

[​IMG]

Quote:
    "... the N.B.A. announced that it took a stake in the daily fantasy sports site FanDuel, which allows players to play in money tournaments and bet among each other. That arrangement could be expanded. The league’s spokesmen said the N.B.A. would continue to oppose the New Jersey case because without a comprehensive fed era framework, New Jersey’s approach was “illegal as well as bad public policy.”

On Friday, the other leagues stood firm in their defense of Paspa. Brian McCarthy, a spokesman for the N.F.L., said Silver’s view “doesn’t change our stance that has been articulated for decades: no gambling on N.F.L. games.

Bill Daly, the deputy commissioner of the N.H.L., was more nuanced. “That was Adam’s opinion, and certainly one he and the N.B.A. are entitled to,” Daly wrote in an email. “That does not mean we share it. I think there are several assertions he relies on that we might question, or certainly would want to test further, and there are other considerations not mentioned that we think are relevant. It is a complex issue and, at least from our perspective, one that does not lend itself easily to a simple ‘agree’ or ‘disagree.’ ”

Those in the gambling industry, of course, are cheering Silver on. “We agree with Commissioner Silver that a legal and regulated sports betting industry, like we have in Nevada and elsewhere in the world, is the best way to protect the integrity of sporting events,” said Joe Asher, the chief executive of William Hill US in Nevada.

7. Major

Major Member

The whole sports betting ban is ridiculous. It would make sense if it was banned across the country, but it doesn't make sense to say "It will ruin the game - but its OK in Nevada!" If the mob or whomever wants to fix games, they can just bet in Vegas and fix the games - it's not like banning it elsewhere stops them from doing it.

8. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Totally agree, which is why statements like this (in the NYT article) are a head scratcher.

Embracing gambling is different, though, because it may erode the moral authority of leagues, according to Jodi Balsam, a professor at Brooklyn Law School and a former lawyer for the N.F.L. The growth of the Internet has made sports gambling far easier and has forced the leagues to protect the integrity of their sports by, for instance, publishing injury reports.

But encouraging consumers to gamble is a slippery slope for the leagues, Balsam said, because it will be harder for them to prohibit players from gambling.

“There is a morality tale here because once you endorse legalized sports gambling, it’s harder to police your own employees and players,” she said. “It’s the moral authority of losing control.”

If players want to shave points (or fake injury), they have all the incentive to do so already. What difference does it make if the NBA office endorses legalized gambling?

IMO, it's just a cop-out. :rolleyes:

9. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Awesome that Silver is taking this stance, I think he's done a great job so far. I think anti-gambling laws are incredibly stupid. Not to get D&D here but A- people should be able to do what they wan't with their money and B- people already do it now anyways.

NFL is also completely hypocritical, as they usually are. They discourage gambling and call it unmoral when they're money Fantasy leagues (totally legal) are basically the exact same thing. I guess they just don't think they can make money off of gambling, so of course it is not even considered.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I like how Silver looks to the most popular sport for inspiration, soccer, and tries to emulate that as opposed to getting caught trying to catch up to the most popular American sport. It's genius. Alter the market yourself, make everyone else adapt to you.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

I think that people do it. I think it adds interest to the game. I think sports betting is close to black jack in fairness. And the less Alcohol involved the fairer it will become. But all that said, there will be a lot of losers that come out of this like in online poker. A lot. It's too easy to keep coming back and betting to win until you lose it all and can't win it back. And if they make it easy to play, even I would probably get in there and let some ride. I don't forsee sports becoming tainted, because the players and owners already make a good penny and have a little too much to lose these days. And we will look past it when it does happen.

12. dback816

dback816 Member

Yea and then Kevin Durant's uncle gets kidnapped into a broken down warehouse and forced to beg his nephew to miss a few freethrows.

13. rudan

rudan Member

This would be an awesome movie. Bill Cosby as the uncle and Kobe Bryant as kevin Durant. The final minutes of the movie has them "relaxing" at a Colorado hotel.........

14. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

David Stern backs Silver's betting stance

The former commissioner said he is thrilled with how his successor has done in his place, and supported Silver's desire for Congress to adopt a federal framework to change the laws on sports betting and allow states to legalize, regulate and monitor sports betting outside of Nevada.

"I agree with Commissioner Silver that it's time," Stern said at the 14th annual Cal Ramsey Distinguished Lecturer Series in Sports Management at New York University. "Especially in the day and age of fantasy [sports], daily fantasy [leagues]. ... It's still a game of skill and has its own set of issues with algorithms and bet large sums, but it's time."

Because fans don't walk out of the Garden saying, 'Oh my God, it's too bad the Knicks won but they didn't cover [the betting line],'" Stern said. "But now there is so much written, done, daily fantasy [leagues], etc."

"I think it was clear where we were heading," Stern added later when asked to elaborate. "The course was set. But it was left for Adam to make a direct statement of where it was going, and I think he did the right thing and I am very supportive of that."

15. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Really? Of all the things that needs fixing in the NBA like officiating, Silver chooses gambling? So NBA is looking for even more revenue?

When big money gets involved, is he sure he can prevent active players (and referees) from gambling themselves or being victimized by those who want to fix games?

For me, it's a slippery slope. Better stay on the high ground. Let it stay in Vegas.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

How fast do most pro players lose their millions?

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You can gamble on the games now so that isn't a barrier. If there are people in the NBA willing to cheat in the name of gambling they're already doing it. It's the fans of the game that have a stake in it.

Once again he's looking to soccer.

18. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON