1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Target - Cavs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by emjohn, Oct 12, 2007.

1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I hate these as much as anyone, but just putting this out there as a general idea as opposed to a specific trade proposal.

Cavs have a few roster issues, and we'd ideally make one or two trades to take care of our overflow.

Cavs:
    Pavlovic and Varejao are both holding out and even declining one-year tenders.
    Damon Jones has asked for a trade.

We need to dump JL3 somewhere and move at least 2 others, 3 if you include Sura (versus the very viable buyout option).

Varejao is the obvious prize, but Damon Jones may be a stipulation to make the deal happen (I don't want him either).

Example scenario:
    Varejao S&T for 4 years at $7 mill per* in exchange for JL3, Snyder, and Bob Sura. Followed by Damon Jones for Jakie Butler and Justin Reed.

Reasonable or unreasonable? Seems like a waste to me if we just waive guys - especially since that does not remove them from our cap.

Evan

*yes it's hefty, but remember that he's holding out after a $6 mill per offer.

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Varejao is not very good. 7 mil is way to much for him.

3. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Hehe. Brazilians and Argentines don't get along. You will have chemistry issue no. X if you bring Anderson Varejao into the team. :D

Plus Scola pwns him anytime, anyway (except flopping) :D

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I thinks that's too cheap for Varejao from the Cavs perspective, plus that's adding more to the luxury tax on the Rockets' end when they're using Sura's contract. Do the Rockets really need Varejao? Scola looks like he's ready for plenty of minutes, and you've got Hayes there too.

5. ultrarocket

ultrarocket Member

Errr... 2 bad contracts. I thought about the pros, but Varejao probably wouldn't even start. Coming off the bench, he'd just be a bad contract on this squad. I think the Rockets would be better off just developing their young bigs, rather than overpay Varejao.

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

scola > varejao

7. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

We already have a dream team. We don't need anymore guys.

We can only trade for future draft picks now to make adjustments for the future.

8. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Amen.

Scola is more handsome too. ;)

9. compacer

compacer Member

Seems unreasonable because we are just adding salary and not taking away enough in exchange. And plus the players we would add would just add dept to areas where we already have enough depth. AV is not big enough to play center like butler. And plus what else can damon do besides shoot. Dont we already have an undersized shooting guard in luther? Seems kinda pointless to me

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Varejao proved to me in during the playoffs that there's not a lot of brain matter under all that hair.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I know you're trying to think of scenarios that'll clear up the logjam with the Rocks. Too many players and some on the bubble (Harris!) that we want to keep and may not be able to, but this ain't it. Keep trying. ;)

12. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

It'd be nice if we could flip some of these players for picks. A couple of second rounders could come in handy in a couple of years.

13. dragonz

dragonz Member

wow, seriously

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

Kirk Snyder & Pavlovic are similiar players not surprsing as they were draft picks by the Jazz.

Cavs are offering him 2.8m he wants 5-6m.

Cavs have a 2.09m TE, if the +/- 25% rule still aplies, then Rockets can trade them Snyder.

15. uchlha

uchlha Member

a big hell no to that

16. Painting_Shade

Painting_Shade Contributing Member

I would trade for paplovic but no varajao... maybe a no to both... I think we have a good mix of players right now so the chemistry will be good.

17. TurboRowdyDEE

TurboRowdyDEE Member

word!

18. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

We lock up that money w/ Varejao, and we'll be painting ourselves into a corner like the Cavs did. I don't pay attention to contracts, but I'm assuming we could use that money to resign Wells/Francis/James down the road if we need to.

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I used to be one of the worst "what-about-THIS-trade?" posters, and that has gradually died away over the years. But of course we're all interested in just what's going to happen with this roster.

Until we DON'T trade with the Heat, I'm always going to think we'll trade with the Heat. Something that sends Rafer and some combination of players, perhaps including Sura, in exchange for Jason Williams (expiring contract) and Daquan Cook. Cook won't play much for awhile anyway, especially for Miami except when DWade is hurt, but who had a great workout for the Rockets.

Rafer gets to play for a team that knows him, after showing in the preseason he can play and be a professional (and having already proven to a judge that he didn't cut anybody at a nightclub). We look to our future, Miami fortifies a breaking-down team that many predict will barely make the playoffs (in the Eastern Conference, no less) while they can still get 50ish regular season games from Shaq.

20. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Why would we trade for any of those guys? They would end up as overpriced backups, much like Cato and MoTay. Do we really want to repeat that crap all over again?