1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 MLB Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Drew_Le, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Dankush

Dankush Member

Dillon Tate and Kyle Tucker sounds like an amazing draft to me and obviously it's hard to pass on Rodgers if something happens.

Kyle Tucker is a better prospect than Preston across the board. Slight reach at 5 but slight reaches are okay with this draft sructure.

2. awc713

awc713 Member

Per Keith Law:

Article below, that's the only relevant Astros portion, though

http://espn.go.com/blog/keith-law/insider/post?id=3876

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Luhnow has changed his tight lip strategy all of a sudden? I don't think so. I calling bull****.

4. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

And another pitcher goes down. Nathan Kirby is out for 6-8 weeks; not as bad as the others that required TJ surgery, but he might not pitch again before the draft.

http://www.whsv.com/sports/headlines/Nathan-Kirby-Sidelined-With-Left-Lat-Strain-300885881.html

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Luhnow was at Vandy game last night.

6. vince

vince Member

So from the sound of things, there is Rodgers and Tate as blue chips, and then there is a whole lot of guys who are about the same for the next 10 to 15 picks, potential wise.

Scouts keep saying this is one of the weakest drafts on record. But that is what was being said of the 2013, and that draft is looking solid.

I am glad we get to pick in the top two. And Astros get to choose 3rd in the next pool of talent (the 5th pick).... I would even think going after the Duke pitcher who had TJ surgery might be a real possibility here (who many thought would be a potential Ace level guy).

7. cardpire

cardpire Member

@jimcallisMLB: Keep hearing @Dbacks not on Rodgers, so he could be 2. @acohn1230: Think @Astros go Swanson or Tate at 2, assuming Rodgers is 1? @MLBDraft

@jimcallisMLB: Lot of people think it's not Rodgers, so my guess is Tate. @EDUBMora74: who do you think @DBacks get? @MLBDraft

@jimcallisMLB: Hearing @Astros associated w/several HS OF, him in particular. @webberoo11: what is reasoning of Cameron jumping all the way to 5? @MLBDraft

8. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I'd draft a pitcher and a position player

#2 best pitcher or hitter on draft board (Rodgers or Tate)
    #5 best pitcher of hitter (Tucker/Funkhauser/Cameron/Kirby?)
    #32 Matuella :) --would he fall this low?

9. Buck Turgidson

This. Unless something funky/unexpected happens between now and then.

10. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I've mentioned the rumors all spring that the Astros are heavy on Daz Cameron. Houston GM Jeff Luhnow is at Cameron's playoff games today.</p>&mdash; Kiley McDaniel (@kileymcd) <a href="https://twitter.com/kileymcd/status/594279017395650560">May 1, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Snuck in 3 ABs of Cameron &amp; he looked more comfortable at the plate. Homer to left &amp; hard-hit single, then scored from 2nd base on a sacbunt</p>&mdash; Kiley McDaniel (@kileymcd) <a href="https://twitter.com/kileymcd/status/594294164034035712">May 2, 2015</a></blockquote>

Ted Cahill is a Baseball America writer.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Daz just ripped a two-run shot to left. He has not made an out today. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/mlbdraft?src=hash">#mlbdraft</a></p>&mdash; Teddy Cahill (@tedcahill) <a href="https://twitter.com/tedcahill/status/594283251574960128">May 1, 2015</a></blockquote>

11. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/121103208/jim-callis-jonathan-mayo-project-top-10-picks-in-2015-draft

Callis talks more about why the Astros go with Rodgers at #2 and Cameron at #5. I'd be ecstatic with this haul.

Rodgers and Correa will make the most dominant left-side of the infield in recent memory. Cameron becomes a 5-tool CF sitting next to our 4-tool RF (Springer). Throw in Altuve and you have the best collection of position players in the majors.

12. awc713

awc713 Member

Interesting tidbit from Keith Law:

Rest is here: http://klaw.me/1DXXzPP

I hadn't heard of the two potential #1 picks whom he mentioned

13. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Yes please, I want Rodgers. Not really sure how I feel about Cameron, but I'll wait and see how this thing plays out.

In before someone mentions we could have had Bryant-Correa as our left side of the infield.

14. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Lord help me if they pass on the consensus best player at #2 in a weak draft. That would definitely be overthinking it.

I don't care which underslot OF they take at #5, Cameron or Tucker, but geez take the surest bet on the board at #2. He's no Matt Bush.

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I agree, passing on Rodgers at 2 makes no sense, particularly considering the pick is sign it or lose it this season, so playing the slot game with it is risky.

Having said that, if they genuinely believe Swanson is better, you have to trust your own guys, not what other scouts are saying. He should be a faster mover too, not that it should be a huge priority.

16. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Just imagine, Bryant over Appel and Rodon over Aiken. As stacked as the Astros are now (potential is there at least), just imagine how it would be if they drafted like that. Can't hit on everything.

17. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Imagine Appel or Buxton over Captain Correa....

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The Bryant/Appel selection doesn't look great right now, time will tell. If it does end up bad you can certainly blame them for blowing that one.

I will never, ever hold the Aiken situation against them. They were completely blindsided by an issue that was impossible for them to know about, they had good reason to audible out of it. Good chance Aiken isn't a top 10 pick this year, in a weaker draft.

19. vince

vince Member

Appel might still turn into a perennial CY Young candidate. So he is still pretty valuable. And we will be judging the #2pick as compensation for missing out on the #1 pick of 2014.

Aiken if not for the UCL being genetically small, was a superior option over Rodon. A shame the Aiken pick did not work though..... But who could have foreseen that one coming.

20. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

I'd rather not.