1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dale Davis? (UPDATE: Davis signs with Pacers)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by leroy, Feb 27, 2005.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

[YAHOO]Dale Davis to be free agent

Dale Davis: Will Become a Free Agent

RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com
    Sunday, February 27, 2005
    Update: Davis' agent, James Wells, said his client has reached a buyout agreement with the Hornets and will be waived on Monday, the San Francisco Chronicle reports.

Recommendation: Davis will become a free agent and can negotiate with any team.

I know there were many of you who thought he'd be a decent addition. Personally, I don't know. He hasn't done much for a few years. He's out there, though and couldn't be any worse than Baker or Spoon.

2. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bring on Double D.I think he could give us 80 -85% of what he used to be for 15-25 min./game.The Rockets could use him on the boards and defending inside.

3. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

4. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

The bad news here is that he has to be picked up before match first if he is going to be on the playoffs roster.

I read somewhere if I am not mistaken on Miami Herald that only players on the roster by March 1 get to make the playoffs roster.

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Strange. I thought if you were a free agent this season, you were obligated by some unknown rule to go to Miami.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

WRONG.

Correctly phrased, Shaq (sorry, I mean Heat) have Right of First Refusal.

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

How long does it take to clear waivers - or do we wait for that?

If I'm right (and often I'm not!!!) - then taking him off waivers means we pay his salary? Although that's probably not the biggest issue considering he's a FA at the end of the year anyway.. just be a shame to fork out whatever % of his 10million dollars remians for the rest of the season!

All that aside, it would be fantastic to throw Dale into the mix somewhere! He's a strong rebounder (even now), and a no-nonsense player - but who would we waive to pick him up? Barrett?

8. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

it's a contract buyout, that means he'd be a FREE AGENT with no contract. I think we could easily pick him up for the min. and just waive Barrett to make room for DD (with James & Moochie on board I just don't see any PT for Barrett) Davis could be an perfect back up to Juwan, we then move Padgett to 3 behind T-Mac and Bowen to IL.

new look Rockets (when Sura comes back):

Yao Ming, Mutombo
    Howard, Davis, Spoon
    McGrady, Padgett, Bowen
    Wesley, Barry
    B. Sura, James, Norris, Ward

9. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I'm guessing this is the team we are going to keep until the summer.

10. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

Agreed

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Thanks for clarifying!! So it's like Mutumbo's situation - he was bought out of one contract, and so can sign another!

THANKS!

12. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I wonder if we can use what is left of the TE to offer more than the min. That could get us an advantage over the comp.

13. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

The word is larry brown( his former coach) wants him bad. look for him to go to the Pistons!

14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

That would make up for the Elden Campbell loss...

What does the guy need money for? Surely he just wants to go and play for a contender? And surely we've got the best job opportunity for him (ie - the space for him to step in and make a contribution!!)

15. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

No, I don't think so. If Dale Davis' is going to be bought out, then he's no longer on any team's roster and becomes a free agent. From my understanding of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, trade exceptions can't be used toward signing free agents.

16. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

So the deal for the Hornets was, in essence, Baron for Speedy straight up?! DAMN, we need to be their trading partners...

DD's got a few more gallons left in the tank, wouldn't hurt to have another bigbody in the rotation (which was why I wanted to keep Big Zendon Hamilton...). But it sounds like he's going elsewhere...too bad

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Try Speedy and whoever they sign with the cap space they get for Davis' expiring deal. Ummmm, Swift????? :(

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Tall, but very small, loss.

19. Onepaks

Onepaks Member

Dale Davis

Can we pick him up? He has been cut by NO. I think it wont hurt the team if we give him a call. Hes better than Baker and spoon and will definitely help us in the playoffs especialy against duncan and amare assuming we face them. Hes not da same player he use to be but still worth the try. If we face the sonics in the playoffs, he will just do what fortson is doind for them which setting screens and harrasing. What do you guys think?

20. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

I believe he's going to Indy...

http://www.detnews.com/2005/pistons/0503/01/F01-103805.htm

Davis spurns Pistons, chooses to rejoin Pacers

More playing time and his relationship with Indiana's brass were keys to decision.

By Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Finally, about 9 p.m. EST, Dale Davis made his decision.

The 35-year-old center will sign with the Indiana Pacers, once he clears waivers, and he will be eligible for the playoffs.

As many as six teams were interested in the 6-foot-11 Davis, who was acquired by New Orleans last week and bought out of the last year of his contract. But in the end, Davis chose the Pacers over the Pistons.

"Let me tell you, this was so tough for him," said James "Chubby" Wells, Davis' agent. "It was really like splitting hairs. He really liked Detroit, too. He has a lot of respect for Larry (Brown, who coached him for four seasons in Indiana) and Rasheed (Wallace, his teammate in Portland).

"But his relationship with (Pacers CEO) Donnie Walsh and (president) Larry Bird goes back a long way."

Davis also liked the fact that the Pacers would offer him more playing time -- he would have been the fourth big man in Detroit -- and were interested in re-signing him for next season.

"I was amazed at all the interest there was in having Dale play beyond this season," Wells said. "Hopefully he will get there, play well and those same opportunities will be there next year."

Davis will be placed on waivers this morning.

To clear up some misinformation: In order to be eligible for the playoffs, players have to be placed on waivers before March 1.

If they clear waivers and are signed subsequent to that, they are still eligible. It has been written here and other places that players had to sign with teams by March 1 to be eligible. That is incorrect.

The Pistons might now turn their attention toward signing 6-8 power forward Don Reid.