1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[Advice] Friend's iPhone stolen

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RMGEEGEE, Apr 26, 2012.

1. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

While you guys may think this is pointless and ridiculous, I do not.

Even if my chances are low, I think it is worth doing what I can. I hate when people get away with stuff like this.

Sad society is sad.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I agree that you should do all that you can. As I have stated, I think if someone finds something at a public place and doesn't turn it in or make a concerted effort to locate the owner, it is akin to stealing it.

I just doubt you will get any help from the police. Heck, in my experience, they won't even check for fingerprints if your car has been broken into. I can't imagine them doing anything for someone who left their phone behind.

3. RMGEEGEE

L

Yeah, I definitely agree. I absolutely don't expect them to drop more important matters and cater to me. Its more of a serial number track if the person decides to sell it at a pawn shop. And then also a way to have some kind of leverage when asking HEB about camera footage and transaction records.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Have the sexting photos been compromised?

Why do you want to rationalize taking other people's stuff?

5. YallMean

YallMean Member

Stealing to me is the act of removing someone's belongings from that person's possession with the mind to do so.
    Picking up a un-claimed iPhone and pocketing it, while should never be encouraged, is not stealing because both act of removing and the mind of such are not present. It's not even close to stealing and not pushished under the law. I would call it immoral profiting or shame on you.

6. YallMean

YallMean Member

Gee, you guys like to impose BS whenever you read post you disagree. I said it's not stealing, but when did I rationalize "taking other's people stuff"?

7. bobrek

Taking something that doesn't belong to you in a public place where your can easily turn it in, is the same as stealing. You are acquiring an object of value that you have no intention of returning to its rightful owner. The definition of stealing is to take something that doesn't belong to you.

Just because you would have a hard time bringing theft charges against the person, does not mean it is not stealing.

1 person likes this.
  8. YallMean

YallMean Member

Well, if you say so.

9. YallMean

YallMean Member

Well on a second thought, Brobek's definition of stealing just destroyed John Locke's labor theory on ownership. Bravo, look at you, Brobek.

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Basically, the British and Spanish? :confused:

[​IMG]

11. YallMean

YallMean Member

Right. Under Bobrek's realm of things, we are all technically theives. Let me tell you why. When Adam and Eve first came, they took whole bunch of stuff that didn't belong to them, right? Starting from then, our acenstors just took whole bunch of stuff from nature and made their own, but they are theives nonetheless. Nobody owns anything from the very begining. Everything you own Bobrek will say they were generated from other stolen stuff. That's we are all theives. This is pretty interesting.

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

^ :mad: That air you're breathing... give it back to Mother Earth, mother trucker!

13. RMGEEGEE

We are talking about a $500 phone. Not picking apples and conquering land masses.

14. YallMean

YallMean Member

I will argue because it's $500 iphone, we shouldn't have people who found it turn it in because we don't want encourage forgetful slouches who can't even take care of their iphones.

Of course, it's not apples and land masses. Gee, can we have a little fun with Bobrek's little definition?

15. YallMean

YallMean Member

Now, you made me feel guilty. Maybe I should start rationalizing "taking stuff that don't belong to you" as Juan suggested.

16. RMGEEGEE

I agree. Careless mistake by her.

Lessons can't be learned many times without consequence.

17. YallMean

YallMean Member

I wasn't serious in saying that tough. For crying out loud, whoever found someone else's iphone, ipad, please return them. I have lost way too many of those. I am on my 4th kindle and I never learned. I just found more ways to lose them than I should, the plane backpocket, the taxi, on and on.

18. bobrek

:rolleyes:

19. bobrek

Really? You rep me starting with "Just drop it old man..."?

20. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

It's gone..but what can the cloud service do to locate it? Let's say you did would you fight over it?