1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cat "Getting It"; Rockets playing "Team" defense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigboymumu, Oct 22, 2003.

1. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Did anybody notice how well the Rockets played TEAM DEFENSE? I was pleasantly surprised with Cat's energy. This is the first time I have seen the Rockets really helping each other on the defensive end (AD - After Dream). I hope this is how the team plays defense the entire year. But, I don't know if it was our defense or the Nuggets' offense.

Can somebody explain to me the difference between Rudy's offense and Van Gundy's? I mean I definitely see the Rockets trying to make Yao the focal point of the offense but I still see the guards dominating the ball and the shots. Maybe it's because we are playing a lot of players but I just don't know. I still see players like Moochie bouncing the ball too much and looking for his own shot more often than not.

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think we did play good defense. That Nuggets team has averaged 99 points in the preseason before facing us. However, apparently they've played nothing but away games and were a bit tired too. Still, I think we looked good. It seems as though the Rockets are really starting to grasp the JVG system. I loved Yao's performance. It was a fun game to watch.

As for the differences between JVG's system and Rudy's, I expect you're going to see less of the guards dribbling down the clock as the season goes on, but all in all I don't think they were so bad tonight. Steve made a few bonehead moves. I kind of felt like he was trying to keep pace with Yao. Moochie dribbled down the clock once or twice but all in all he's looked alot better in the last two games.

3. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Well, if you take a look at the box score, Yao took the most shots, 14 for 29pts....Steve and Cat took 10 and 11 respectively and Mooch took 9. Then Jackson and Boki with 8 and 7. So it looks like they distributed the ball pretty evenly tonight.

4. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Yao had a lot of putbacks for a good portion of his points. I don't know how many though. It would be interesting to know.

5. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

The team D that you were seeing has been something they have been building on for the last two games. It is no coincidence that both teams (Sac andDen) had horrible shooting nights when they played the Rox...

The biggest change I see from last season is that the Rockets are geting in the shooters faces instead of just running at them and waving their arms..

another thing I think is getting better is how they play team(helping) D off of picks..instead of laying off the ballhandler when the pick comes, the other player will actually leave his man(the picker) and go out on the ballhandler..and then the switch back happens quickly so there isnt a mismatch for as long as last season.

VG's defense seems to be sinking in, now if they could just hit their open shots.:(

6. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Cat has always been a good defender. Him playing good defense shouldnt come as a surprise, he has excellent footwork, and quick hands, plus he knows hes a good defender. Unfortunately these same abilities also make him think he is a better offensive player than he really is. Ergo, the reason why he's so liked/disliked on this board. I'm more in the middle type, he's got his good and bad points. In all honesty, I'd rather keep Mobley and trade Franchise if someone put a gun to my head about the decision

7. SLA

SLA Member

Get used to it! :p

8. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Well said, R2K!

Those of you that have the game on tape (or DVD+RW :) ), take notice of Cat's play on D.

When, Cat's man gets the ball...
    Watch how he's in the "chair position," one hand in the face all the time, and moving laterally.

That's D! :D

Cat is looking more and more like JJ! :D

9. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

bigboymumu,

The differences are minute, but they are there. Less dribbling, more concentration on the entry pass to Yao, positioning, execution of the pick and role, and the drop pass. Plus the D! So, the changes are there, but they are not so apparent right now.

The Rockets now, will not be the same team of the Rockets at the end of the season. The team is learning about execution (timing) in this system. So, the differences will be more apparent at the end of the season. Most likely in the play-offs! :)