1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The "For the love of the game" Injury thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Blurr#7, Feb 18, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

So what's the worst injury you've experienced and did you quit playing? Get surgery? Or just live with the pain and play ball till they carry you off in a strecher? Here are mine.

1)Fractured left ankle in HS(+countless sprained)
    2)Split lip from headbutt(10 Stitches)
    3)Torn ligament in left hand thumb(No surgery)
    4) Torn ACL, Meniscus, strained MCL (Knee reconstructive surgery)
    Still playing at least twice a week but man It sure has taken a toll.

2. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

*Bit through my tongue*

Was out of shape and was breathing hard, went up for a rebound a bit early and was coming down as another guy was going up. His shoulder hit my chin, my tongue was out of my mouth a bit, and I bit right through my tongue. I tried to keep playing (I didn't realize how bad it was), but after I started drooling blood on the court the refs made me leave the game and my brother drove me to the ER. Nothing quite like getting stitches in your tongue. Eating was pure pleasure that week...

3. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I don't have many...

1. broken pinky finger freshman year of high school... I had just made the varsity squad and broke it on a hard rebound off the rim. Taped it up to play anyway...and now its crooked. ;)

2. Sprained ankle end of my senior year of volleyball... taped it up and played with the pain. At that point I was playing center back defense or right side d/setter, so I didn't have to jump too much during the games.. practice was pretty bad though. Thankfully after the season I got a couple weeks off of it to mostly heal.

3. Mild wrist strain through both my junior and senior year... I played volleyball in the fall, basketball in the winter, softball in the spring and then volleyball during the summer... so it never really got a break. Just kept wrapping them with ace bandages until I graduated.

I also had knee pain in high school from catching in fast pitch softball, but the doc just told me to take two aleve an hour before the games.

That's it. Not too many injuries for me.

I coach now, so I don't play sports as much anymore, at least not competitively so I haven't had a whole lot of problems since then.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

1. Broken right ankle
    2. Broken right and left pinky toes...doesn't sound like much, unless you're a soccer player.
    3. Strained groin...played with injury for 4 months until I eventually needed physical therapy
    4. Surgery to remove extra tissue in left knee...didn't hurt while playing. It was after games and practices in which I couldn't bend my knee.
    5. Hamstring, calf, quad, groin strains/sprains too numerous to count.
    6. Back problems since I was 16 (32 now).
    7. Sprained MCL
    8. detached ligament in wrist
    etc., etc., etc.

Still play on 2 indoor soccer teams, 1 outdoor and Sunday night softball. My wife thinks I'm insane.

5. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Sprained ankle - right
    High ankle sprain - right
    Dislocated shoulder -right
    Dislocated shoulder - left
    separated shoulder - right about 5 times
    torn labrum - right shoulder
    torn rotator cuff - right shoulder
    popped biceps tendon - left
    broken ring finger - left
    jammed thumb - both
    fractured wrist/metacarpals - right
    hairline fractured wrist - left
    cracked sternum - twice
    broken rib(s) - 3 times
    sprained knee - both
    pulled hamstring - right
    hip pointer - left
    fractured zygomaticus major (upper cheek bone) - left (got nailed with a helmet while my helmet was not on)

Many of these were football related, but the ankles were in pick up games of basketball (no tape).

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

1. torn right acl and menicus
    2. minor menicus tear(same knee)
    3. torn acl and microfracture (same knee)
    4. cracked radial head in right elbow
    5. 2 bone spurs in my right elbow on the ulna. one is wrapping around a nerve and the other irritates the hell of my elbow after any sort of mild use.
    6. another minor meniscal tear in my right knee that feels like the equivalent of a splinter if i try to run. then it will still bother me when i am doing absolutely nothing if i have been active on it. frustrating.

basically i need to have surgery done again on my knee but i just don't want to have a 4th knee surgery. i know the surgery would be minor but the doc said he might have to do microfracture again which would not be minor.

and for my elbow i know i need to have surgery for that because i can literally do nothing mildly athletic anymore with my right arm. hell even if i play pool or darts my elbow will get irritated after while and it will pop a ton the next day but it's certainly bearable. the doc said surgery wouldn't be too hard to remove the bone spurs but i am just putting it off. i am doing really well at work and i need my right arm to move my mouse.

who knows maybe i will get this crap taken care of this year.

7. bigbadjon_e

bigbadjon_e Member

You guys are a bunch of whinny little pansies. My worst sports injury was a dislocated pinky. Top that!!!

8. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

vasectomy - so I can still play the game without worries

9. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Is your's crooked now too??? We could compare pictures!! ;)

10. bigbadjon_e

bigbadjon_e Member

No, it happened at work. I had to go for multiple checkups, take physical therapy, wear a splint, etc. Seemed a little outrageous but, insurance companies rule the world.

11. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Wow, torn ACL twice in the same knee? Man that's what I'm afraid of.

12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I've only broken people's spirits when I drive to the whole give it a nice flush from the free throw line.

Or when I am on a fast break, and pull up a 27 foot bomb.

Or when I throw an 80 yard touchdown pass.

or when i catch a 80 yard touchdown pass.

or when i take a return back for a touchdown.

or when i hit a 600 foot homerun.

or when i score a hat trick...twice.

or when i have to tear off "my kit" seven different times.

13. Desert_Rocket

Desert_Rocket Member

Torn ligament in right ankle, the one that attaches your calf to the bottom of your foot, my arch flattened out totally. This happened in 2002, I played on it for 2 more years in pain and then finally quit playing in 2004. The doctor said the surgery would be risky and would require a long recovery, 6 months in a boot, right foot, no driving so i'm still hobbling around.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I've been playing soccer for the past season and a half with turf toes that refuse to heal completely (both big toes). I wish I could figure some way to tape them up so they will quit tweaking each game, but I don't think it is possible.

Over the years i've had more injuries than I would want to try and list.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You should get your knee fixed one more time then shut it down for good -- a guy on my team and 2 ACL surgeries on the same knee and was back playing hard and he blew it up again. His knee was swollen like a grapefruit.

16. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

That's why I always get ice on my knees immediately.
    [​IMG]

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

yeah i have no urge to play sports again but it would be nice to be able to run with my dog without having to take 2-3 weeks off when my knee flares up. i was going to get the surgery done back in december. my knee was feeling good at my pre-op appointment and my doc actually talked me out of surgery. he thought it might just be arthritis since he could never really find anything on the MRI. i would agree with him but i remember how i injured it....getting comfortable in bed. pretty sad lol. i have no room to ever rip on tmac :D

18. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

In HS... caught a foot through the face mask and sliced my lip up pretty bad.

Of course it was Homecoming and it was going to be my first attempt at a kiss with the girl I was taking to the dance. Needless to say, she was a bit grossed out by my swollen, bruised, and bloody face (not to mention the pain I was in just talking) that I never got that kiss and never had another shot.

Oh well, we must honor the game gods when they ask for their due.

19. Pker

Pker Member

Thats what happen when you pretend your MJ.

20. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

-fractured right ankle
    -torn right acl and meniscus--(2 surgeries on this, acl replacement and then cleaning out of the joint) this one was the real career killer
    -torn left (i believe medial) cartalidge--supposed to have surgery but havent found the time yet
    -dislocated left shoulder - slammed it into a wall and popped it back in place
    -countless sprained ankles, wrists, jammed fingers, lost toenails, etc..i think the worst out of these is playing with no toenail.. and then having someone step on your foot..and then going home and having to remove a sticky, blood soaked sock...

and yeah i still play when i can but not nearly with the same intensity as i used to..

#20 UTKaluman597, Feb 19, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2008