1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Western Conference Standings

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Keyser Soze, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

Since the season is almost over and we still have no idea who's going to play who. This thread should be for the updates. So as of right now the standings look like this:

1. LA Lakers 55-22
    2. Dallas Mavericks 51-27
    3. Denver Nuggets 51-27
    4. Phoenix Suns 51-27
    5. Utah Jazz 51-28
    6. Portland TrailBlazers 48-30
    7. SAS Spurs 48-30
    8. OKC Thunder 48-30

So OKC after one night slip all the way to 8 and Utah goes from number 2 to 5. Crazy finish indeed

2. fmp087

fmp087 Member

Can't remember a better race to the end of the regular season for teams already in the playoffs.

3. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

It's interesting watching all eight teams compete for playoff positioning rather than watching 6th - 9th compete for the last seeds to see who gets in. Whoever gets 8th is going to get swept anyways.

The top teams usually rest up their players for the final few games, but this season it will probably go to the very last game in the season.

The race will be fun, but I have a feeling the playoffs won't be nearly as great as everyone will hype it up to be this season. Everyone always wants the Rockets to disappear, but it's really the Jazz that are boring to watch. All they do is miss layups, grab rebounds until they finally make a lay up, and shoot free throws. Next year it will be much better. The Rockets are the only challenge for the Lakers.

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i promise you durant would make kobe sweat just a little bit. i for sure dont think he would get swept at this point.

5. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Eh wasn't last year very similar?

6. Asian Sensation

I can't wait to see Portland and OKC in the playoffs. These 2 teams will probably have the most Rockin home courts of the playoffs especially OKC. Playoffs is where true superstars are made and this is where Kevin Durant will cement his young legacy and take his game up to true super stardom. He's already in the mix with Kobe/Lebron/Wade etc so this experience will be huge for him.

Since the Rockets didn't make it this year I'm all in for my second favorite team Blazers. GO BLAZERS!!! As much as it sucks that the Rockets didn't make it I can breathe a sigh of relief with no anxiety and I can just relax a bit and enjoy basketball for what it is.

7. devilsdandruff

amazing.
    no teams know who they will be facing in the Playoffs till all regular season games are played.

8. fmp087

fmp087 Member

No it wasn't. Not between teams already clinched for the playoffs.

9. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

I actually can relate to this. Until last year, we were always nowhere near the playoffs or first round fodder. It's funny how much more I enjoyed the Conference Finals and NBA Finals prior to last year. Hell, last year I barely watched the NBA Finals because I was so bitter.

10. Warning-Sign

Warning-Sign Member

That sucks, if we had the same record as last year we would have been in the second spot (55-27). :(

11. Warning-Sign

Warning-Sign Member

Sorry, I overgrlorified the Rockets, it was (53-29) but still would be close to the second spot, actually we were, disregard this.

12. Agent94

Agent94 Member

He was probably thinking of 2008. During the 22 game winning streak the difference between 1st and 5th was 1 game. So you must not be much of a fan if you can't remember a better race to end the regular season. It was only 2 years ago that we had a better race.

13. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Past couple of years have been like that. I think last year or a couple of years ago on the last game of the season two or three teams won and we lost and it dropped us a few (2, 3, or even 4) places down.

14. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

Actually, I don't see LA sweeping any of the current bottom 3 (Portland, SA, or OKC). They'll be favored, but each of those teams will be tough out. A potential Kobe vs. Durant shoot-out is pretty appealing for a fan. With the Rockets out-of-contention, I'm pulling for OKC to make a deep run.

15. MrAwe

MrAwe Member

one thing is for sure, the western conference is going to be fun to watch

16. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

The last 4 years have featured amazing finishes. The Rockets lost their division and still nearly got the number 1 seed two years ago. We nearly had that 4 team tie break last year for seeds 2-5, and there was a massive race with the Jazz, Hornets, and Mavs for 6-8 seeding.

The past 2 seasons have not had the down-to-the-wire race for teams fighting for that last playoff spot, but there's been plenty of action at the top of the standings. I'm bummed the Rockets aren't in the chase for these final few weeks.

Next year will be brutal. There will be at least 9 teams that should have really good records (the top 8 this year, Rockets, maybe the Hornets, Clippers, or Grizz). I could see a 50 win team missing the playoffs, and the separation between 3 and 8 being not more than 4 games.

17. Pocket Rockets

We had a chance for the 2nd seed on the last day of the season, but since we decided to blow a 15 pt lead against Dallas, while SA and Por won, we fell to 5th. Den had lost late that night to Por so the 2nd seed couldve been ours.

18. Mr. Space City

i hope SA gets 8th because lakers vs. spurs series would be good

19. da_juice

da_juice Member

Especially with tony parker coming back and manu getting hot.

20. fmp087

fmp087 Member

What about teams 6-8. I do remember that year and still don't think it was as good of a race as this year. I feel like teams are much more evenly matched this year than in 2008.