1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Comcast SportsNet Houston -- Current Providers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 10, 2012.

?

Who do you blame for the unavailability of Rockets games/CSN Houston?

1. Mostly CSN Houston (Partially owned by the Rockets)

555 vote(s)
    55.2%
  2. The TV Providers (Direct TV, AT&T, etc.)

114 vote(s)
    11.3%
  3. Both Sides Equally

337 vote(s)
    33.5%
  1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

My understanding was that the Astros and Rockets were NOT involved in negotiations at all at this point. That it's Comcast that is the expert on these deals.

Also...reading sports business blogs, you clearly get the sense that Houston's Comcast channel is a pawn in a larger war....just one market out of many dealing with this right now, and that the implications of a deal in one market impact a deal in another market. Seems difficult to get to a conclusion based on that.

2. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

I, too, was told in early December that they felt confident a deal with directv would be in place before the end of 2012. Thus spawning deals with the other providers.

Something changed and I'm pinning it on the minor league team down the street. They will not be getting my money for the foreseeable future.

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

This is not true. More to come shortly.

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Wait, so what large provider other than Comcast has a deal done?

PS - **** the Astros and **** Jim Crane. I will never spend a dime on that organization, ever again.

1 person likes this.
  7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

None, currently.

Just a little background on this that you guys probably already know. DirecTV is considered the lynch pin in most of these negotiations. They are more hard line than the others and most believe that if they agree, the others will fall in line quickly, which is why the negotiating parties are going to go hard and heavy with them first.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Jeff,

I think your piece needs its own thread. It is a major piece of revelation and can get buried in this rather long thread.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I put it in the Astros section

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I'll leave that to Clutch.

11. nbalopez23

nbalopez23 Member

So basically the garbage ass Astros the one's messing up the whole thing?? If thats the case im offically not a fan of there team. Its rediculous how GARBAGE they have been and want more money?? SMH take your garbage ass self of a team to another city because if this is true I'm done supporting the Astros. The Astors are the NBA's Bobcats how about at least make the playoffs before even thinking about asking for more money

1 person likes this.
  12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I would say boycott the Astros but it seems like the city has been doing that for 2 years now.

Irrelevant franchise is irrelevant.

13. danielcp0303

danielcp0303 Member

I'm happy that there's at least some news/rumors going on now...but why did it take so long to find out?

14. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Hey Mr. Crane, the Rangers thank you for their new fan. May you and your team rot like Pittsburgh for years and years to come. You broke my heart first by-

- Cutting payroll to field a minor league team.
    - Left the NL for the AL. (Big BIG NO NO!)
    - Terrible looking new uniforms
    - You're a KNOWN bigot.
    - Now this.

I have not been to a game in two years, last year was the first time in 38 years that I did not even watch a complete game on TV. I never wanted you to buy the team, you've ruined the look of the stadium, it reeks of beer league softball, and now your n00b ass is screwing with die hard Rox red fans.

Hello Nolan Ryan. My name is LonghornFan. I'm on your teams bandwagon now. Go Rangers! The AAAstros, lol. Who?

Edit- Your new little stadium is an eyesoar in the city of Houston's skyline. I'll most likely never go there again, or at least for the very foreseeable future, but I will continue to cringe and that nasty green roof every day as I drive past it. Good luck with your new posters in the outfield. Fantastic idea! :rolleyes:

#2894 LonghornFan, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  15. danielcp0303

danielcp0303 Member

I'd like to thank Clutch as well...I'm kinda new here after lurking for a while, but this place has given us a voice

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Crane. Lick. Scroat? :grin:

17. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Yeah, I let him know that in the Aaastros forum a while ago. I hope he reads it!

18. MadMax

Anyone else find it unbelievable that Les Alexander would leave the entire TV distribution of his NBA franchise to the whims of Jim Crane and the Astros?

Sorry, but I have a very difficult time believing that Les is that dumb.

19. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

The Astros have twice as many games being televised as compared to the Rockets, so I'm not surprised the Astros have more power in the negotiations. My feeling is that Les probably is very disappointed in the way this has played out, and if he had to do it over again he would probably do things differently. The article says a deal was done before the Rockets season started and Crane wouldn't sign off on it. I know the people that hate Les are still going to blame him, but I really only blame Crane if this article is accurate.

20. MadMax

The Rockets owned their media rights. Whether Comcast or the Astros or Bozo the Clown is involved, at the end of the day it's up to the Rockets to make sure their product is available or not. I won't blame the Astros for the Rockets not being on TV...and I won't blame the Rockets for the Astros media availability. That's on both of them for their own respective franchises.

1 person likes this.