1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Houston Rockets 2013/2014

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kissOFdeath95, Jul 14, 2013.

1. kissOFdeath95

kissOFdeath95 Member

Well now that the honeymoon is over, the long boring off-season begins. Luckily for us Rockets fans the off-season will be filled with big hopes and dreams for the upcoming season. With the acquiring of Dwight Howard, the city has been crazy. Clutchfans has been down right a part of most of our lives.

I listen to 790, 610, 1560 and ESPN radio and I follow basketball and sports in general very closely everyday. So I fell like giving my thoughts and insight on the upcoming season.

First, Omer Asik needs to be a Houston Rocket. Bottom line. With the size of teams like Memphis and the weaknesses teams like Miami have containing big men, I feel it to be absolutely crucial to our teams success to have a 7'1 "oak tree" coming off the bench. As we all know when Asik was on the bench last year, the Rockets struggled mightily. Dwight will have games where he gets in foul trouble. Or lord forbid an injury occurs. But if you can have that true 7 ft. center off the bench you don't have to play don't 36-38 minutes a game and he can stay fresh. Its very vital to keep him (and James) fresh throughout the season...

Which brings me to my next topic. We need a shooting 2 guard off the bench. As of right now we do not have anyone capable of coming off our bench at the two spot to relieve James of some SCORING duties. With Beverly and Asik coming off the bench, they will be bringing toughness and defense, but not a scoring mentality. I'm not going to name any names as far as who we should go after, as all the news out there is pure speculation. Maybe D-Mo can turn into a spark offensively off the bench. Maybe Casspi. Maybe Garcia. But none of those guys are penetrators and none can create their own shot. On to one guy I haven't mentioned yet....

T-Jones. This kid can play. He has everything we need in a power forward. The question is, is whether he will live up to it. He showed flashes last year in limited minutes. But he can hit the 3 if he needs too. He can rebound. He can even swipe a few steals and block some shots. I think Jones deserves a shot for the first 20-30 games of the season. If we are .500 or so after those games, then we should explore trade options for a 4. But as of right now. Id say T-jones is our answer across the board on everything we need from a 4. But everyone keeps saying we need a 3 star caliber player....

WE HAVE ONE! Chandler Parsons was showing tremendous signs of breaking out during last season, but put a cherry on top in the OKC series and let the world know he who was when he erupted for 27,10,8. This guy is an absolute excellent fit as a #3 behind Dwight and James. No doubt about it. Dwight gets doubled? Parsons can hit threes with the best of them. Defender gets in his face? He can explode to the bucket and either lay it in or draw the defense in a dump it to Dwight. Its going to be a thing of beauty and defenses will not be able to stop it. Speaking of penetrators...

Jeremy Lin will be the starting point guard of the Houston Rockets next year. Well, I take that back. If there is one guy who could be dealt, Id say its Jeremy. even though still highly unlikely. He gets a bad rap for his playoff series against OKC, and I'll be the first to say it was brutal. But I've had a bruised chest before, and Ill be the first to say I could barely lift my arm, much less shoot a basketball. Jeremy was coming on strong last year the final 20 games. As long as he can continue to hit the open shot (which if he cant at least do that, he's pretty much useless) he will fit this system well. With his ability to get to the bucket, he can also draw defenses in and open the floor for Harden, Dwight, and Parsons. His pNr with Howard will also be unstoppable. If you can recall back in 2012, Tyson and Lin were running some pretty beautiful pNr's. He's also a good playmaker, but he needs to cut down on some of the bad descion making. He will grow and continue to get better. Don't forget it was his first season as a full-time starter! He's a good fit next to...

James Harden and Dwight Howard. These two guys will be down right un-guardable. James is one of the best (if not the best) at getting to the rim and drawing contact. He will ALWAYS draw the defense towards him and just break the entire defense wide open. James has earned this kind of respect. But that's either going to leave Dwight wide open or leave him 1-1 and there's not a player in the NBA that can stop Dwight Howard 1 one 1. and if they double Dwight, after doubling Harden on the penetration, there will be no one to stop our plethora of 3 point shooters. Our offense was REALLY good with Asik down low last year. Just imagine the wonders and potential that Dwight will bring. Dwight couldn't have found a better running partner than Harden. Same for Harden with Dwight. Its a match made in basketball heaven.

With all of this being said, I see us being a #2 seed next year. I believe we will have a better regular season team than San Antonio and LAC. Memphis and Denver IMO have taken a large step back. Golden State still has a lot to prove. I know they had a decent little playoff run but injuries are a major concern with Steph and Bogut. Plus, is Harrison Barnes a good 6th man? We'll see. But I am saying we finish 57-25 and the # 2 seed behind OKC.

I believe Dwight and Harden will not only both START the ASG, but both will ab All-NBA first teamers, and it should be like that for at least the next three years.

I'm not making any playoff predictions this early.

Well thanks for listening to my opinion and feel free to chime in on all of this, or where you think I may be wrong.

1 person likes this.
  2. newAge_Rockets

If Parsons breaks out, TJ turns into a solid power forward, and DMo turns into a more consistent defender then this is the best team in the west. however, I think this team will have its growing pains and will probably finish third. I think they could do really well in the playoffs if Harden and Howard are fresh

3. bball_lifer

bball_lifer Member

I think most people would agree that Parsons has already broken out. He is an "All-Star" caliber player.

4. Rockets25

Rockets25 Member

He hasn't broken out until he can create his own shot. He can't.

5. kissOFdeath95

kissOFdeath95 Member

He can somewhat do that already. He can get to the bucket. He can hit 3s. He just needs to polish a couple of areas. Parsons absolutely has superstar potential

6. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

James Harden
    Dwight Howard
    Chandler Parsons
    Jeremy Lin
    Omer Asik
    Patrick Beverley
    Donatas Motiejunas
    Terrence Jones
    Greg Smith
    Francisco Garcia
    Omri Casspi
    Reggie Williams
    Isaiah Canaan
    Robert Covington
    BJ Young

That makes 15.

7. LandryFields

LandryFields Member

I echo your sentiment about Chandler Parsons. He absolutely is the perfect fit for this team as the 3rd option

8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know about superstar potential, but he definitely can make an all-star team someday. He is a very good player, but not the type of player that will be able to carry a team.

9. kissOFdeath95

kissOFdeath95 Member

Good catch. I meant STAR. Obviously, he will most likely never be a superstar.

10. pnr

pnr Member

Chandler has trouble creating his own shots. I was really surprised when I saw that 70% of his made shots are assisted...

11. kissOFdeath95

kissOFdeath95 Member

Maybe Reggie Williams can be that guy even though hes a bit tall.

12. AggieRocketFan96

Top to bottom, this is quite possibly the most talented roster on paper in Rockets history. I don't think Chandler is of "superstar potential" but he will be a very solid 3rd option on a talented team. The real key will be can this team defend as a group and will the offense evolve beyond the sets from last year to optimize the strengths of Harden and Howard? My other concern...do we have the mid-range jumper capability if and when the long ball isn't falling? Can McHale bring this all together?

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Not superstar potential...but he could make an all-star game. No doubt.

14. kissOFdeath95

kissOFdeath95 Member

Yeah, i meant STAR. sorry about that.

15. Oracle

Oracle Member

Agree totally. Don't be concerned. There is such an arsenal of long ball shooters available that one of them will always be available. The team is now much better defensively.

16. kastuul

kastuul Member

Harden played 38.4 minutes per game.

He should reduce 2-3minutes and let Lin run more point, so he can save energy in defensive end.

The Rockets's fast paced style is very exhausting and they didn't won any OT games.

It's good for Harden career.

17. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I'm shocked anyone considers Parsons all star caliber.