1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in Houston, Katy, or Sugarland?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by agslai, Aug 25, 2011.

1. agslai

agslai Contributing Member

Sup Fellas,

I am looking for a high rated Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu place in the houston, katy, and sugarland area for myself and my son. I do not want my son to get bullied when he starts going to school....Does anyone know of any good places? Thanks.

2. Shrimz

Shrimz Member

put him in muy thai if he's gonna get bullied. it looks cooler and he wont kill somebody.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

How old is your son and how is his self confidence overall? What is his personality type?

Also, I did some quick googling and Jeff Messina is pretty damn good from what I know. http://www.revolutiondojo.com/

Check out a few places and see what you like. Remember any legit instructor will proudly talk about his instructors and his lineage. There are fakers out there so be wary of anyone who sounds like they are full of it. Also, for self defense it is good to take more than just BJJ. BJJ is great but it is a defensive martial art at its core. Taking some striking classes (boxing, muay thai, jeet kun do, savate, whatever) is great because it really makes you understand what can happen in a fight and why you want to avoid a fight at all costs.

Also, there is a difference between "sport" BJJ and Gracie Jiu Jitsu which has more of a self-defense element. Then there is a difference between no-gi and gi jiujitsu. No-gi is much faster paced and also tends to branch off into submission/catch wrestling. Catch wrestling is great as well. It emphasizes strength much more than BJJ does and it is a harder workout (wrestling style workout) than BJJ.

I think all this stuff is great and I wish my crappy body could keep up with it on all the time. It really makes you think about situations different and it's as much of a mental game as it is a physical game. Hope yall find a great place to learn at.

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:confused:

Why would he get bullied? Does he look like Napoleon Dynamite, Lucas, the boy from The Christmas Story, or something?

Anyway, studies show that... I'm just kidding... there are no studies... but... I think you're thinking that just learning Jiu-Jitsu would stop other kids from bullying him... when, it might not. :eek: This is just my opinion.

That's a broad area, though, Katy and Sugarland? That's about a 50-square mile radius. There's some good ones in the Heights area, but I don't know the names.

5. Prince

Prince Member

This is Texas.. give him a gun.

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Fitness connection or football, best shred activities

7. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ha9cmIzRCQw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

A striking style would be much better at dealing with bullies. He is not going to be slapping on a guillotine in the school yard, but he could punch someone in the breadbasket. Look into Sambo, Muay Thai, Krav Maga, etc. for a self defense style instead of something based primarily on grappling, especially since bullies tend to work in groups and going to the ground when your attacker has a friend is a bad idea.

Ideally your kid would get trained by MacBeth, so he could learn to duck and slide at all the right times and generally feel like a god. Unfortunately I don't know if anyone can track him down.

9. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

Sambo is a grappling art. Plus if you're just worried about school yard self defense, BJJ is your best option. No martial art is going to protect you from a gang of people attacking you at once. Plus you don't want your kid hurting another child by striking them. Most good BJJ instructors will teach your child to avoid conflict at any cost, and if they're forced to defend themselves, they can use what they've learned to nullify their attacker and hold them down until the fight is broken up.

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

lol swoly do you have an interal monologue?:grin:

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

learn the "quart of blood" technique. You do that, a quart of blood will drop out of a man's body.

12. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

I trained BJJ for about a year at Sugar Land MMA. The head instructor there is named Chad Kight and he's a brown belt under Royce Gracie. They also have Jeet Kune Do, MMA, and Kickboxing classes.

http://www.sugarlandmixedmartialarts.com/

Your best bet would probably be TX 3rd Coast MMA which is run by the former instructors of Sugar Land MMA, Joe and Jason Soliz. Joe is a black belt and a really great teacher and is also a high level Jeet Kune Do instructor, and his son Jason is a brown belt who is considered one of the best BJJ prospects out of Houston. Jason used to teach the kid's classes at Sugar Land MMA and he did a really great job with the kids there. I'd definitely recommend these guys for you and your son. http://www.tx3rdcoastmma.com/

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:( Aye, I do. This nonsense isn't going to ramble itself, you know... someone has to do it.

#13 SwoLy-D, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Sambo is striking too and it is better than BJJ to learn if you are trying to defend yourself standing up. The large majority of BJJ schools simply don't address the throws and takedowns like Sambo, Judo, and wrestling do.

15. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

I don't think the OP's son is going to have to worry about getting thrown during recess. The takedown and takedown defense you learn in your typical BJJ class is more than enough to be able to defend yourself on the street. There are some instructors that do focus on ground work a bit too much, but I didn't have that problem at the gyms I listed above.

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Ah yeah I forgot about that school with Joe Soliz. A girl I met who was trying to get into MMA was training with his school. She said tons of great things about Joe. JKD/Kali stuff is great too learn for self defense and makes you very conscious of what can happen in a street fight situation. I've only done a couple very very basic things and it is cool stuff.

17. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

Yeah, he's a great instructor. He's a black belt in Karate, Judo, BJJ, fought in Golden Gloves, and is a Full Instructor in JKD. He's got an immense amount of knowledge but he's also really down to earth and just a great guy in general.

18. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

The BEST BJJ here in the Houston area without a doubt is Draculino's school. Re-nowned and praised in the BJJ community all around the world even by Eddie Bravo and his concepts usually go against alot of the brazilians concepts. He also has awesome students and people around such as BJJ world champ Brandon “Wolverine” Mullins (used to be Boxcar)

www.draculinobjjtraining.com/

Since Draculino was too far away I trained at West-Side in Katy(off mason road) I think they are Gracie Barra Texas now, it is off Mason road.

The facility at Gracie Barra is top notch and there isn't another like it anywhere near or in this city, spring loaded matted BJJ room, MMA Cage, A room dedicated to kickboxing and a room dedicated for wrestling, they also have an entire workout weightlifting room.

Their San Shou kickboxing intructor is Alex Cisne who was(is?) the national champion and I remember he went to the Worlds in Beijing. He is also a Pro MMA'er.

http://www.graciebarratx.com/news.php?news_id=793

As for Cheap Paul Thomas is a good BJJ instructor also has a school off Mason Rd, he started West-Side

All the one's listed above have great kid BJJ

#18 Realjad, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  19. SunsRocketsfan

Fogo de Chao

1 person likes this.
  20. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Combat Sambo is a mixture of strikes, throws, and grappling. It was developed by the Russian military for hand to hand combat. It falls into the same area as Krav Maga, LINE, MCMAP, etc.
    No, it isn't, for the reason I gave above. A style with a greater striking emphasis is going to be better. No style is perfect of course, and cross training styles would probably be better still, but a singular focus only on a style that is largely grappling is the worst for uncontrolled situations.
    No martial art is going to perfectly protect you from any threat under any conditions, but some are better than others at different situations. Where there is a chance of multiple attackers, a style where you stay on your feet is far superior to one largely based on ground fighting.
    One shouldn't be getting their kid any kind up fight training if they are not training them to win. If your kid is attacked, the goal should be protecting himself, not protecting the bully.
    Most martial arts instructors will teach you to try to avoid fighting, but if you are forced into a fight, trying to hold the attacker without hurting him is not the best idea. You are allowed to defend yourself, and if you are attacked it is dangerous to try to nullify the attacker, it is better to just win the fight.