1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

U-Verse/Comcast question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Fatty FatBastard, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Fatty FatBastard

Well, Comcast ticked me off again today, and I had to threaten to cancel to get them to waive a ridiculous service charge, but even with that, I'm ready to look into something different.

So I went to U-Verse to look at their options and they have several different internet speeds that I'm simply not used to seeing.

My question is how different are these speeds vs. Comcast's Cable? They have plans from 3Mbps to 6Mbps to 12Mbps. (And, no, I have no idea how fast any of those really are.)

2. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

I have the U-Verse 12mbps Internet.

You know what I get when I go to speedtest.net? Yeah, 12mbps. (~1.3MB/s)

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

pr0n heaven?????? :confused:

I cannot compare my U-Verse to any cable download speed, but I have the 3MB one and it's decent (for me, no pr0n... I have kids :( ).

4. Depressio

When EZTV releases a new episode of something I watch, I want that s**t ASAP!

The upstream is only 1.5mbps though, and with any DSL (U-Verse is VDSL), when the upstream is saturated totally, the downstream suffers. Overall, though, my U-Verse experience has been pleasant. It's not available everywhere though.

5. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

coward

6. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I switched from Comcast to U-Verse and started out with the 6MB speeds thinking because it was DSL it would be worse. I was wrong. I have had zero problems, and the speed @ 6MB seemed to be just as quick if not faster than Comcast. I'm using the 12MB now and I rarely, if ever had a connection problem. I had those ALL THE TIME with Comcast.

LOVE U-verse. Call and gripe about ANYTHING and they will give you free stuff. For realz. I called to cancel my 300 package to go down to the 200 and they gave me the 450 free for 6 months. Awesome customer service.

7. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Comcast's most popular (15mb down) package smokes U-verse.

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Dude, they know how to work my PC. :(

;) I had my laptop for that... you know... the XPS? Until they stole it from me. :( THOSE cowards.

9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

BUT...You have to deal with Comcast, and pay more for Comcast. You couldn't pay me to go back with that company ever again. Worst customer service in the universe.

10. Depressio

I prefer stability of speed rather that occasional peaks that are slightly higher. From what I've heard, Comcast is very unrealiable... my parents complain about it all the time. U-Verse is very reliable, on the other hand, and the speed you buy is always the speed you get.

11. ItsMyFault

Well, to be honest, I've never had any issues with any connectivity or any problems with anything getting messed up so I haven't had to deal with their customer service. I did one time threaten to cancel on purpose to try and get my bill down (and it worked). Paying more... well.. that's going to be that way because of the faster speeds. DSL vs. Cable... Cable will always be the higher cost. I personally want fiber (something like Verizon FIOS)... but Houston is so slow with getting fiber (Dallas already has it).

Comcast is pretty stable. You're referring to the power boost that makes it go higher for a few minutes and then puts its down back at its normal speed. I've never had stability issues with Comcast/RR/Time Warner in my 8 years with them. And, I don't think I've had trouble with speeds being lower than what I purchased (except for when time warner was still around and I had the 3mb down service, it went a little bit slower than usual).

12. Depressio

/shrug

Every case is different, I guess. It seems like Fatty is having a problem with them however, so it's nice to know that U-Verse is a good alternative.

13. ItsMyFault

Yeah, I mean problems and speeds vary from location to location around Houston. U-verse is a great alternative, especially for the price.

I did some research a while back on cable speeds... and what I found was that a lot of people blamed the cable company when in fact it was their router that was the problem. I don't know if that's the case for people who have issues with that, but that's one thing I found.

14. Prince

Prince Member

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I'm guessing that speed also comes with a princely price tag.

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I switched from Comcast to Uverse a couple of weeks ago. I love it so far. I called Comcast and canceled my service and the said OK and that they'd send me a credit because I still had a few days left for what was the current billing period which I had already paid for. Well, those ****ers go ahead and sent be a bill for the next month, complete with the credit I got when I canceled. ****ers.

I had regular AT&T DSL before switching. I kept the same speed and Uverse DSL is actually much faster and more consistent that the basic DSL.

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I switched from AT&T DSL (6mbps) to Comcast Cable (15mbps)...

Big mistake? :eek:

18. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Take that :p

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I've got the 12Mbps speed with U-Verse and it's great.

Seriously, just go ahead and switch and you won't look back. I know several people who have made the switch like I have, and NONE would ever dream of going back. The forum seems to agree. For me, U-Verse is close to perfect now that they have NBA TV.

There would be a violent coup in my house if I tried to go back to Comcast.

20. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

not to hi-jack this thread but; i'll be moving out of my apartment soon, my current apartment only allows DSL, which forces me to use AT&T DSL... which is reliable, but the speed is miserable

besides the major providers (att, comcast, verizon etc), are there independent internet service providers that only provide internet? i hate the fact that i must bundle internet and phone, or internet and tv together... i do not want home phone, and i do not need cable programming

thanks in advance