1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scola says he'd play next summer even with lockout

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItsMyFault, Nov 14, 2010.

1. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/11/14/scola-argentina.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

Scola's getting up there in age... he played in the World Championships, which is understandable.... but I'd hate to see him play summer also. I know he's not injury prone, but he has to give his body some rest. Ginobili was the same way (though he did play more NBA games due to all the playoff games) and then eventually starting getting hurt. Ginobili should be playing for Argentina instead since Scola played in the WC.

2. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Gotta love the heart of Scola, but he needs to take a summer off!! Rest the beast!

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

as long as he's not slowing down later....gotta admit he did come in mid-season form, while everyone else is still taking some time, except for Martin.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Good for him, i'm glad some players have a little national pride. He loves to ball, so he's gonna play.

And i never understood how an NBA lockout effects FIBA play. Our players bailed in 1998 during the NBA lockout, why should that matter.

5. vince

vince Member

Cudos to Scola for representing his country. This Argentina team is scary talented. They've done some good things and have improved International basketball play with their top level play.

Spain, Argentina, Greece, have made International basketball relevant again. If I missed several team, my apologies. But those are 3 teams that popped into my mind when I was thinking FIBA :D

Rooting for Scola to succeed :)

6. devin23

devin23 Member

scola's getting alot of mileage. I agree with OP. He needs some time off to rest...

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

But it's a lot of north and south mileage with very little air time...it's not like others who are constantly stopping and going and bouncing up and down all over the place. He also avoids contact very well, bad for freebies, but good to ease wear and tear. Plus, isn't the euroleague season shorter?

Also, maybe if we managed to get further in the playoff he'll reconsider...but as of now its not any different than if we made it to the finals and played an extra 10-15 games..

8. Seth

Seth Member

It works for him, he likes it that way.
    Always complains when he is a long period without playing that he feels out of synch for a long time.
    The guy bases his game on consistency, training, effort and technique, and given that he has not been blessed with an athletic he needs to keep in shape what he has.
    It worked all his career for him, he is not going to change now while he is having his best season after having the most workloaded summer in his history with Argentina NT, next summer he will have Nocioni and Ginobili by his side so he won´t need to take on such a load.

9. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

If I have 4 sons at home, work is going to be my heaven too.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He loves his country and has helped lead them to great success in international play. He said that next summer, with the games in Argentina, would be the time to end his career with the Argentine team. You have to respect him for that, and he's also done something another international star with the Rockets has never done. Given a date certain for ending his play for the national team. Heck, we should be celebrating his decision. :cool:

VIVA SCOLA!!

11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I love Scola and I respect that he wants to keep balling for his country. To him, the game of basketball is not just a job but it's life to him. He is doing what he loves and while he is healthy he is going to keep doing it.

I love the passion and dedication which is why Scola is one of my all time favorite players. He truly is a great role model. I admire the guy.

12. Seth

Seth Member

Scola just said that it will be the "end" because that would be the last game Argentina NT plais IN ARGENTINA soil, but he plans to play in London for sure.
    I think he might retire after London.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am rooting for Argentina....I hope Manu plays too.

DD

14. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

If he didn't play in international tournaments, he wouldn't be Luis Scola. He is a baller, pure and simple. He takes his craft seriously and understands that his legacy is defined more by his international play than his play in the NBA. This is why Scola is a double-team worthy post player despite his obvious lack of athleticism. That's a real competitor. That's how you can tell people are real ballers--when they will ball even when they don't need to (like Durant).

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You guys do realize that all the ball he is playing against quality competition has made him this good.....

DD

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good point. OK, then he'll retire from the national team!

17. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

and getting better.... :)

18. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I loved that guy, but he needs to rest his body, the guy is 31 years old, you gotta look into things more further.

19. esteban

esteban Member

Other than Maradonna, Argentina produces some real men, Scola is a definition of what a real man supposed to be!

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think a little of it is some proxy pressure, so FIBA will get on the NBA's case to hurry up and resolve their labor dispute. Kinda like how some workers' unions will strike to help other unions in a different industry.

I wonder how the Players' Association takes the news. Do they care?

As for me, I'm down with it. It's what makes Scola such a bad-ass.