1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New advanced defensive metrics: James Harden was a poor defender in '13-'14

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lightningbolt, Feb 24, 2015.

1. lightningbolt

lightningbolt Member

Grantland's Kirk Goldsberry put out an article today entitled "Department of Defense" (with cool shot charts) about a paper that was recently released at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference. Basically he and a Harvard professor and 2 PhD students used SportVU's player tracking data to come up new statistic models that evaluate individual defensive performances. The paper showed that players being guarded by Harden were much more likely to take shots and also hit them at above average rates. It also showed that when Howard was on the floor, players were much less likely to attempt shots at the rim and, when they did, made them at below average rates. For the most part, these findings confirm the eye test, but it's definitely cool to have a quantifiable way to show this.

2. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Just kidding... interesting data.

3. SemisolidSnake

Do they only do this once a year, because I'd love to see how their metrics rank Harden's defense this year so far?

4. baubo

baubo Member

I honestly don't know what to make of this top-5 list. Okay I guess? Given how little all these players are sought of around the league except CP3, I'm not sure I can gleam any information from it.

5. sjackson0

sjackson0 Contributing Member

not being, but I think we are aware of that. Where is the data of what he is doing now??

6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

using analytics/metrics for things like this seems silly. they're confirming something any scout/eyetest could tell you. show me some analytics/metrics for things scouts/eyetest can't identify or process.

The analyst/programmer/researcher that comes up with the metrics of playing with energy and playing without energy and who has/doesn't have energy and why, should win a National Academy of Science Award. The math should be called the McHale's Law.

#6 ipaman, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  7. joeson332

joeson332 Member

I think most of us who saw all of the games last year can agree he was bad, even long before that you tube video came to surface. Good to see him shutting that Harden plays no defense crap down this year

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Forget the Harden crap, this graphic should have been the highlight of the article:

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  9. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Harden had swollen feet for the entire year or something like that...

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

at the same conference they came out with a study titled "Water is wet, and the sky is blue" I heard it was doozy.

kidding aside, I wonder where you can input the data for this year and compare the 2 years. James is already on record agreeing to his poor play on that end last year. He acknowledges its an effort thing and that putting up 30 a night AND playing lock down defense isnt the easiest thing in the world to do.

11. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Let's not get defensive (har har) about the Harden data, as this is data from last year...this is some great stuff and definitely worth a read.

Interesting to see who were the guys who completely snuffed out opponents from even attempting shots - such as Dwight (in the paint), Kawhi (at the three-point line), and CP3 (everywhere).

12. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

CP3 is amazing for his size. The fact that he's less of flopper this year makes him a lucrative player in my book. His flopping and b****ing were terrible in years past.

13. baubo

baubo Member

A healthy Dwight and Harden truly would be the most Morey-esque players in the NBA. One gets into the paint at will. The other denies paint attempts at will.

I still think a relatively healthy Dwight, focusing on just defense and garbage points on offense, is still enough for us to contend. The problem is I'm still uncertain we can even get this Howard.

14. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Thanks for sharing.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

There's actually a lot of interesting data in there that this thread title will deter people from reading. The point of this thread and that article is not really James Harden, but rather to learn about the ways this team has analyzed defense.

16. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Great tools to measure defense, Is it just individual defense or do they have metrics for team defense too?

wow, I never would have known Chris Paul was great on defense too.

17. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Since opponents found it tough to stop Harden, they were most likely to challenge him by having his man keep him busy on defense.

That's why Harden's man ended up shooting so much. It was a deliberate strategy to slow down his offense.

18. linvetb6

linvetb6 Member

teams applying the Jordan Rules to Harden? MVP!

19. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

That they play against reserves so they have better stats?

20. Zbed

Zbed Member

Who cares about last year, he has greatly improved his defense and is becoming an all around player, nuff said.