1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chronicle story on Rockets free agents; quotes from staff & players

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Jul 1, 2001.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

If you read this article and you don't get to see this team play much, perhaps some of these quotes will allow you to understand the great chemistry on this team. Next year should be wonderful. [​IMG]

By the way, an important part worth mentioning is the Rockets did not pick up the option on Carlos Rogers' contract, so as of midnight tonight he is free agent.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bk/bkn/958122

Rockets see welcome sign

Team's free agents hope future brings another stint here

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2001 Houston Chronicle

Maurice Taylor has thought it out. If any of 28 NBA teams calls today, the first day when clubs can begin recruiting and negotiating with free agents, he will give a carefully planned response.

He will say nothing. He won't even go to the phone. He will offer no signs of hope.

Until Taylor hears from the Rockets, he said, he will speak to no one else.

"First and foremost, I want to talk to the Rockets," Taylor said. "I have to wait and see what happens. But they are the first team I want to talk to before anything gets started with anyone else. That's loyalty. I'm a loyal person. I want to show loyalty to them, and I think they'll show loyalty to me. But I'm not talking to anyone else until I talk to them."

Taylor's sentiment has spread through the Rockets' assortment of free agents. From Hakeem Olajuwon's declaration that the best the Rockets could do this summer would be to sign their own free agents to Shandon Anderson's calling Moochie Norris "the next mayor of Houston," the Rockets' free agents have been vocal and clear about their preferences.

Matt Bullard hopes to finish his career in Houston. Anderson expects to have a breakout season next year, prefers it to be for the Rockets and wants to get the deal in place as quickly as possible. Norris describes his time with the Rockets like a happy marriage built to last.

"We won 45 games last year, and we should have won more than that," Anderson said. "If you look at the team we had last year, there's nothing missing. We were not lacking anything. We just need a little more experience and time playing together.

"A lot of times people accuse the players of not being loyal to a team. But here, they want to get their guys back. That gets loyalty back."

This all fits well with the Rockets' hopes of keeping their key players together and letting them grow with the well-placed additions of rookies Eddie Griffin and Terence Morris.

Should Chris Webber show any interest, the Rockets will not hang up on him. But the first priority is to shore up the sentiments that had the Rockets' free agents looking for dotted lines in need of signatures.

"You get yourself in a position to wind up with 12 players you hope you can get," Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson said.

"We have more options than that. When they're free agents, you have to allow for something. We're hoping we get all of them. But you won't know that until we start being able to talk to them."

The Rockets will begin today's free-agency period with seven unsigned players: Olajuwon, Taylor, Anderson, Norris, Bullard, Sean Colson and Carlos Rogers.

Dawson confirmed that Rogers, a forward/center acquired from Portland in the Scottie Pippen deal, officially became a free agent at midnight. The team failed to pick up its option on the last season of his contract by Saturday's deadline.

Colson likely will be given an invitation to play for the Rockets' summer league teams to offer an additional audition.

But beginning today, the Rockets likely will get a chance to hear firsthand the attitudes that have seemed so promising.

"I think it works for me here," Anderson said. "I don't want to go through the same deal I went through when I got here when I signed a few weeks before (training camp). I think next season I'll be more aggressive. Sometimes I passed up shots. This summer I'm working on my ballhandling and my shooting, and next season I want to be ready to go.
    "I really would like it to work out here."

Norris is coming off the best season of his career. More than that, he said it was his happiest.

"I love Houston, love the fans," Norris said. "I like living here. Everybody accepted me here with open arms. The staff treats me well, (as do) the players. All around Houston, people treat me so well. I either see someone I know, and if I don't know them, they treat me like I do.

"I really like it here. They gave me a chance to showcase my ability. Houston is a place I'd like to stay."

With that feeling so prevalent, Dawson said the team has a good start on the 18 days before players can begin signing contracts July 18.

"That indicates you have an atmosphere they like being in, a city they like to live in, and I know they like our coaching staff," Dawson said. "That makes my job easier. It probably makes the basketball better."

But while the recruiting should be smooth, the negotiations could be complicated.

Olajuwon has said he expects a contract that reflects his market value. Anderson's agent, Dan Fegan, who also represents Olajuwon and Norris, said during the season that an "early Bird" contract, expected to be worth about $4.4 million next season with 12 percent annual raises, would not be sufficient to sign Anderson. Taylor has no Bird rights that would allow the Rockets to exceed the salary cap to re-sign him.

Olajuwon occupies $24.5 million of salary-cap space, placing the Rockets far over the expected cap of $42 to $44 million. The Rockets could create salary-cap room to sign Taylor by first renouncing their rights to Olajuwon or signing him to a much smaller contract that would leave cap space.

But to create more room for Olajuwon and Taylor, and to pay Anderson more than the "early Bird" contract, the Rockets would have to complete a difficult maneuver. They could sign Olajuwon to a contract that would put them below the salary cap, then trade high-priced contracts for smaller ones if dealing with another team under the cap, opening more room for their own free agents.

Few teams below the cap, however, are likely to want to fill that space with the Rockets' players.

Barring that, someone will have to accept less than he might begin July seeking. But Dawson said he would consider the Rockets' recruiting a success if he could only sign his own.

"I feel good," he said. "We're very fortunate to be where we are. The rebuilding process in this league has been known to take five to seven years. We're ahead of schedule because of the fortunate things that have happened."
    If nothing else, the Rockets will move from the draft to free-agent negotiations with momentum.

"The draft is the first step of the summer work," coach Rudy Tomjanovich said. "It's the first thing in our agenda. We couldn't be happier. The response of the players I talked to was extreme joy and amazement we got the players we did. Now we have a lot of work to do. But everything's very positive."

Taylor feels the same way.

"I don't feel like a free agent. There's such rapport with me and the team," he said. "Everything seems right. But nothing is said and done until we sign on the dotted line."

------------------
    EDDIE, EDDIE, EDDIE!!!

Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

This team is gonig to go places soon, VERY SOON! When was the last time anyone saw such loyalty and camradarie (sp?) on a team. I havent heard of any infighting at all with this group of Rockets. They all seem to really really like each other. And that is one of the most important things to achieve the ultimate prize.

I hope they sign Moochie, Shandon, Hakeem and Taylor. Only if we can somehow figure out how to trade Cato and Williams and pick up some center, this offseason would be better beyond my wildest expectations!

GO ROCKETS!

------------------

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I hope they let Shandon go. I don't think he would be happy as a bench player behind both Mobley and Francis at the 2 and I damn sure don't want him on the floor as a 3 with Griffin, Morris and Langhi all needing to get time there to grow.

------------------

4. red

red Contributing Member

if hakeem wants the rockets to resign everyone...which it looks like they want to...does he know its up to him and the salary he wants for it to work out.

------------------

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

You make a good point, red.

------------------
    How the hell should I know why God would allow the Holocaust. I don't even know how the electric can opener works. - from Hannah and Her Sisters

6. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

The Rockest with Rudy & CD, top duo, in the league have buit a great team. They will only add the necessary pieces for a title contender. Now, if we can get Cato's exit we will be champions.

------------------
    Keep Mo Ta & now we have Ta Mo

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

"First and foremost, I want to talk to the Rockets," Taylor said. "I have to wait and see what happens. But they are the first team I want to talk to before anything gets started with anyone else. That's loyalty. I'm a loyal person. I want to show loyalty to them, and I think they'll show loyalty to me. But I'm not talking to anyone else until I talk to them."

That is UNREAL. I mean, what free agent knowing he is going into the biggest offseason of his career (dollar-wise), knowing that he probably can't get every penny he wants since the team is tight on cash and having an agent like David Falk would EVER say something like that?

I liked the Mo Taylor signing last year. With that sentiment, he can wear the pinstripes for the rest of his life if he likes.

It is good to be in Houston. [​IMG]

------------------
    How the hell should I know why God would allow the Holocaust. I don't even know how the electric can opener works. - from Hannah and Her Sisters

8. Cat5

Cat5 Member

I read somewhere that Langhi’s team option was picked up, can someone confirm it?

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

That was confirmed by Dennis Lindsey, the director of scouting, on 610 the other day. He said that they were definitely picking up Langhi's option and that he was part of their long-term plans.

------------------

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

*ahem*... It's also good to be in Dallas and be a Rockets fan for life. [​IMG]

Sweet article Feigen!

------------------
    "Do you have a patent on stupidity, or do you simply attempt to extend its bounds?" -- Gascon asking NYKRule to talk a little bit about himself...

11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't want the Rockets to bring back Shandon. Partially because I don't think he helps the Rockets that much, and he certainly isn't worth the price he is demanding. And partially, I don't think he would get much time on this team anymore. If we do the usual 3 guard lineups each game in order to get Moochie his 20+ minutes, then there will be little room at SG for Shandon to play, and with Morris, Langhi, and Griffin at the 3, he will NEVER get in the game.

It just seems better for all concerned if Shandon were to go elsewhere.

------------------
    I would rather have Mo Taylor and his love of the Rockets than Webber and his love of our money.

12. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

I feel sorry for Shandon, but does he not know that the draft night, was his writing on the wall, to look elsewhere? Will he except a bench role? Maybe the competition, with Griffin and Morris, will help motivate him.

I heard that Shandon has been working hard this offseason with Francis and Mobley, how will that play in the Rockets decision?

I noticed that Shandon did not have any comments on draft night, like everybody else did!

------------------

13. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

I bolded the appropriate part. That seems important, no?

------------------
    "So, is there still a big rivalry between North Carolina and Duke?" Craig Sager - Proving the only thing bright about him is his shirt.

14. The Voice of Reason

I honestly belive that Motay, and anderson talked the way they did, because they are already signed(under the table) i belive this to be deffinate with taylor, but anderson seemed to have too amny advantages over the last 2 years. he played like crap, but kept starting. he deffinately talks like he is an emportant part of the team. i hope thats not the organization blowing smoke up his ass so he dosnt go public with a shady deal

ok mo is gonna be re-signed. its just about the $$ now
    probably 7 mill, just a bit more than mobley, even thought hes not worth more than mobley
    Norris is important, and will get more money
    Shandon should leave tow, but we may get dumb, and give him more loot too. i hate that. we should package him in a sign and trade with cato for some other garbage.
    bull will re-sign fot 1mill or maybe the vetran minimum which is like 750k
    we will re-sigh los for more, or ship him away. i think we would have picked up the option but he probqably thinks he can do better on the open market. look for him in a sign + trade. and for some reason i could see him in toronto

i dont know why i posted all this. its mostly crap, but i wanted to point out that mo is talking the talk of a guy that has already "signed" same with Shandon.

damn i hope shandon leaves

PEACE

------------------
    Hanta-Force Paintball
    www.hanta-force.com

15. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

MY GOOD SIDE} <--------- FEIGEN {MY BAD SIDE

MY GOOD SIDE} <------ FEIGEN----{MY BAD SIDE

MY GOOD SIDE} <--- FEIGEN-------{MY BAD SIDE

MY GOOD SIDE}FEIGEN [​IMG]

------------------
    "How close were you to her? Real close until the roofies wore off. Then she woke up talking about pressing charges, so I took my tongue out of her ass and left son." - Marlon Wayans "Scary Movie"

Go Rockets!!!
    SS

[This message has been edited by Wink3Cat5 (edited July 01, 2001).]

16. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

I think we'll re-sign MoTay, Mooch and Bull. Would like to bring SA back but not overpay-he does a lot of the dirty work, plays tough defense, and as a 6th man this year will not be expected to score as much..a perfect sit'n for him.

17. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

MoT will be overpaid. Thats a fact. Big men always are. Supply and Demand. A half ass center (cato) or a good PF (Taylor) gets more than a BADASS SG (MOBLEY).

Also that "potential" factor comes into play at contract time. I think Cato has permanently removed that label from himself. At least when you think of potential as a good word.

FEIGEN actually wrote something positive and optimistic about the Rockets. Did he time warp back to 1994/1995?

Our Free Agents:

MoT - Mr. Loyalty , staying put , getting (over)paid , gonna shine! [​IMG]

Moochie - [​IMG] Da freaking man!!! He will be inked on the 18th at 12:01am.

Bullard - Hope he signs , not sure if it will be feasable. No Room or $ if we get any other FA's. Hopefully we can move a certain #13 to make room. Will be perfect pick me up during games. We need someone to drain 3's.

Olajuwon - The more I think about it the more I think he is our #1 FA. I was saying goodbye not too long ago but this was before our Grand Theft Draft. Now he is the missing piece. A solid center would make us a Top 7 team. Barring injuries. I think dream will meet us in the middle... Doesnt he want 10 mil or so? We are only offering 5-6 mil right? How about a two year 14-16 mil deal?? I would take it. Dream wants to be on a winner and he will sign with us.

Anderson - No Room. No $$$. I am glad he is working on his game this Summer.Should have done it last Summer. Hope he gets a job with one of the other 28. If we do manage to sign him I dont know how he would fit in. He knows he will be a bench guy. At most 15-20 min a game. We will see...

CLOS - Damn. [​IMG] I am missing him already. I think Kenny Thomas will take his place though. Carlos was our Chucky Brown. Rebouding, Hustling, great bench guy. I will never forget the Cleveland game where he put in 20pts. Remember that? He was on a tear through those games... Hope he gets signed somewhere else.

Colson - Is there room for this guy? He has potential. No playing time at all. Maybe he will be happy being on the IR all year? At least he will get time at the Rocky Mountain Revue.

Overall I hope we get Dream, MoT, Bullard and Moochie inked.

G - Steve,Cat,Moochie
    F - Tmo,Griffin,KT,MoT,Langhi,Walt?
    C - Collier,Cato,Olajuwon

IR - Colson?

I dont know how we will keep all of our forwards Walt/Langhi/KT especially if we dont resign Dream. I can definitely see us moving some guys to get a Center then. I know KT is probably or best trade bait, but I dont want him to go. It will be another Othello lost...

I hope Les is ready to pay in the future. He is going to have 3 superstars Cat,Wink,Griff. Salary Cap who???

It is Damn Good to be in Houston , Texas, USA.

------------------
    "How close were you to her? Real close until the roofies wore off. Then she woke up talking about pressing charges, so I took my tongue out of her ass and left son." - Marlon Wayans "Scary Movie"

Go Rockets!!!
    SS

18. author2002

author2002 New Member

Based on this synopsis it sounds like the Rockets may have to choose two of the three between Hakeem, Anderson, and Taylor. The question is which one are we willing to let go? Personally, I think the one definite priority should be Hakeem. Let him finish his career in a Rockets uniform. However, the most important thing is that he is the key to any playoff hopes this team has next season. Does anyone really believe Kelvin Cato and Jason Collier can lead this team into the playoffs in the difficult Western Conference? The difficult choice comes down to Maurice Taylor and Shandon Anderson. Neither are worth the kind of money they would likely demand. Taylor is way to weak on the boards to be considered one of the top power forwards in the West. If he commands in the neighborhood of 8-10 million a season he will have to produce like one of the better 4s. Anderson is not worth the early Bird contract much less what he is asking. Anderson has shown himself to be a good complimentary player. Good complimentary players are not worth 6-8 million a season. Let him go out and try to find someone willing to pay him starter's money and make them their two guard. If he can find a team out there willing to do that then more power to him. If not, he will have to come back and accept what we are willing to give and then we will have succeeded in signing all three.

------------------