1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL Favors Brady and P. Manning...According to T. Suggs

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Lil Pun, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Not of fan of the Ravens but the guy has a point.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/sh...-is-bashing-the-NFL-says-leagu?urn=nfl-291236

The hottest trends for winter 2010 are prints, jungle themes, chambray and bashing Roger Goodell. One day after Hines Ward ripped Goodell's NFL for hypocrisy on a number of issues including player safety, Baltimore Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs said the league plays favorites with Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, and doesn't care about other quarterbacks.

He made the comments after being asked about the fines levied this season against James Harrison(notes), who will take the field opposite Suggs and the Ravens on "Sunday Night Football":

Goodell has barred dirty hits on the field, but has yet to exert control over dirty hits off of it. Like we said Wednesday with Ward's comments, it's about time players spoke up about the NFL's two-faced treatment of its workforce. I suspect Goodell has a thick skin and will let this slide, mainly because he's smart enough to know that fining players for criticizing him will only increase the perception that he's playing Big Brother. But this growing unrest isn't a good thing for him and NFL owners, especially with a labor negotiation and 18-game schedule discussions on the horizon.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The NFL favors its 2 most marketable stars????

SHOCKING!!!! :eek:
    :rolleyes:

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I don't blame them.

Andre gets away with blatant push offs and boxing helmetless players so we can't say we don't get some love.

4. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Slowly watching Goodell turn into Stern.

But that was a too obvious helmet hit of Harrison to Fitz. Gunning for him, probable, but he's earning it if it's true.

5. Lil Pun

Maybe not shocking but definitely not right.

6. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I agree with what Suggs said, but it's understandable. Manning and Brady are the faces of the NFL.

As far as Goodell goes, I think he backed himself in a corner when he came into his job with guns blazing. He came and cleaned house, but now he has all these hardline precedents he set and now has to follow.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Look at last night. I saw at least 3 occasions that Schaub got hit in the head and not one of them were called.

8. Lil Pun

Vick took some hits to the noggin as well.

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Not fair, but good business.

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

one thing I don't understand.

All these fines for hitting receivers and helmet to helmet hits....

But all these hit's to the QB's head (with arm / fist) don't seem to be called on a regular basis in games.

11. Summer Song Giver

The one at the end, that Schaub got all in a tissy about, shouldn't be a foul no matter who it is. I wanted my hometown QB to stop being a vag when I saw the hit he was whining about in slo-mo. The calls are trending towards the ridiculous and the last thing I want the NFL to become is a league where the refs have the amount of power (to straight up alter the game) like the NBA refs have.

12. Lil Pun

Unless you're Brady or P. Manning. I remember Trent Cole getting flagged for barely swiping the back of Manning's helmet on a strip-sack a few weeks ago but last night I saw a few instances where it was called for neither side.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

TUCK RULE! aka The TOM BRADY CAN DO NO WRONG RULE

Rocket River

14. penda45

penda45 Member

In corporate America it makes perfect sense, you want to protect your assets that bring in the most revenue. I am not saying that it is right but that is just how it is.

15. Summer Song Giver

Does anyone remember the times when you knew what was what on the football field, a fumble was a fumble and a catch was a catch, the new rules have only muddled an otherwise clear situation.

16. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

When you're the best players in the game, you get the benefit of the doubt.

17. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

this is like saying that the the NBA favors kobe bryant and lebron james.

nothing new. but is bad.

18. ThaShark316_28

He's right.

Hines Ward is also right about the NFL not giving a **** about the players.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

It may be true, but it also makes sense. Fans watch football in a lot of part for its violence. There's no way around that. That's why you have NFL films featuring players knocking the crap out of each other in slow motion all the time. That's why people here became so in love with Pollard when he came in and start hitting people.

But there's another side to it. While fans like violence, they don't want to see their favorite players be on the injured list all the time. And generally, fans associate with QBs. No fan really cares personally about a lineman, although knowledgeable ones realize their importance. But with QBs we have emotional attachment, which leads to why NFL rules for hitting QBs are much more severe than other players. By extension, when you have a QB that doesn't just get fanfare within his own city, like Brady or Manning, then obviously these players should be protected on yet another level.

So it's hardly surprising that most players get crap treatment on the field, asked to play injured with shots all the time, and discarded as soon as they become useless. It's kind of sad that the NFL might be the one league where the players really could use guaranteed contracts due to the inherent risky nature of the game, yet they have the least amount of monetary protection of any major sports in America.