1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[fyi] Dog Food Recall

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by heypartner, Mar 19, 2007.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

:(

see last paragraph for a complete list of products.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/17/petfood.recall.ap/index.html

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Pet owners were worried Saturday that the pet food in their cupboards could be deadly after millions of containers of dog and cat food sold at major retailers across North America were recalled.

Menu Foods -- a major manufacturer of dog and cat food sold under Wal-Mart, Safeway, Kroger and other store brands -- recalled 60 million containers of wet pet food Friday after reports of kidney failure and deaths.

An unknown number of cats and dogs suffered kidney failure and about 10 died after eating the affected pet food, the company said in announcing the North American recall.

Product testing has not revealed a link explaining the reported cases of illness and death, the company said.

"At this juncture, we're not 100 percent sure what's happened," said Paul Henderson, the company's president and chief executive officer.

However, the recalled products were made using wheat gluten purchased from a new supplier, since dropped for another source, spokeswoman Sarah Tuite said. Wheat gluten is a source of protein.
    'Cuts and gravy' food sold in cans, pouches recalled

The recall covers the company's "cuts and gravy" style food, which consists of chunks of meat in gravy, sold in cans and small foil pouches between December 3 and March 6 throughout the United States, Canada and Mexico.

The pet food was sold by stores operated by the Kroger Co., Safeway Inc., Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and PetSmart Inc., among others, Henderson said.

Menu Foods said it makes pet foods for 17 of the top 20 North American retailers. It is also a contract manufacturer for the top branded pet food companies, including Procter & Gamble Co.

Procter & Gamble announced Friday the recall of specific 3 oz., 5.5 oz., 6 oz. and 13.2 oz. canned and 3 oz. and 5.3 oz. foil pouch cat and dog wet food products made by Menu Foods but sold under the Iams and Eukanuba brands. The recalled products bear the code dates of 6339 through 7073 followed by the plant code 4197, P&G said.

Menu Foods' three U.S. and one Canadian factory produce more than 1 billion containers of wet pet food a year. The recall covers pet food made at company plants in Emporia, Kansas, and Pennsauken, New Jersey, Henderson said.

Henderson said the company received an undisclosed number of owner complaints of vomiting and kidney failure in dogs and cats after they had been fed its products. It has tested its products but not found a cause for the sickness.

"To date, the tests have not indicated any problems with the product," Henderson said.
    FDA also working to target brands

The company alerted the Food and Drug Administration, which already has inspectors in one of the two plants, Henderson said. The FDA was working to nail down brand names covered by the recall, agency spokesman Mike Herndon said.

Menu Foods is majority-owned by the Menu Foods Income Fund, based in Ontario, Canada.

Henderson said the recall would cost the company the Canadian equivalent of $26 million to $34 million.

Below are lists of specific brands recalled by Menu Foods, in addition to Procter & Gamble's recall of certain Iams and Eukanuba products. Menu Brands lists the brands on its Web site, www.menufoods.com, and advises consumers to call 1-866-895-2708 for more information.
    Recalled cat foods

Americas Choice; Preferred Pets; Authority; Best Choice; Companion; Compliments; Demoulas Market Basket; Fine Feline Cat, Shep Dog; Food Lion; Foodtown; Giant Companion; Good n Meaty; Hannaford; Hill Country Fare; Hy-Vee; Key Food; Laura Lynn; Li'l Red; Loving Meals; Main Choice; Nutriplan; Nutro Max Gourmet Classics; Nutro Natural Choice; Paws; Presidents Choice; Price Chopper; Priority; Save-A-Lot; Schnucks; Sophistacat; Special Kitty; Springfield Pride; Sprout; Total Pet; My True Friend; Wegmans; Western Family; White Rose; and Winn Dixie.
    Recalled dog foods

America's Choice; Preferred Pets; Authority; Award; Best Choice; Big Bet; Big Red; Bloom; Bruiser; Cadillac; Companion; Demoulas Market Basket; Fine Feline Cat; Shep Dog; Food Lion; Giant Companion; Great Choice; Hannaford; Hill Country Fare; Hy-Vee; Key Food; Laura Lynn; Loving Meals; Main Choice; Mixables; Nutriplan; Nutro Max; Nutro Natural Choice; Nutro; Ol'Roy; Paws; Pet Essentials; Pet Pride; President's Choice; Price Chopper; Priority; Publix; Roche Bros; Save-A-Lot; Schnucks; Springsfield Pride; Sprout; Stater Bros; Total Pet; My True Friend; Western Family; White Rose; Winn Dixie and Your Pet.

2. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

No love for the cats?

3. heypartner

yep, my bad. wish i could edit the thread title.

4. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

well I don't use "cuts and gravy" food for my dogs and cat so I'm safe.

Tim hardaway hates cuts and gravy, doesn't want to be around it, and doesn't think it should be in america.

5. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

whew, thank goodness i dont feed gravy stuff to my dog. but for anyone who did, i'm really really really sorry, and just hope that your pet will be ok.

6. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

Same here. The thing that surprised me most about this story is how many different brands came from one source. I guess only one or two companies need to produce pet food, but it was still surprising.

7. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

ditto. I actually had to read the story after I saw my name brand amongst all the others. Was relieved to see I didn't have the bad kind. Just gave them some last night. Mix it in with the dry food from time to time just to give them something to look forward to.

8. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

I found the brand that I sometimes give to my dog.
    Its Cuts and Gravy but the recall website doesnt list the size of the cans I have. I still dont feel safe now - will return them all to the store.

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

One of my dogs tripped me out the other day. It got sick from something it ate and broke out all over. By "broke out", I mean it had bumps all over it's body. It just looked like bumps under the skin pushing the hair up (on a Rhodesian Ridgeback mind you). Anyway, she was acting funny before that and I knew something was up. Plus, she threw up some canned food all over the carpet :(. However, she was also eating stuff in the backyard which were mostly just weeds. I tend to think a particular weed made her sick. I didn't take her to the vet because I didn't think she was in immediate danger...other than looking like "elephant dog". Her appetite came back and the bumps went away (thank God). I couldn't imagine having a dog that looked like that going forward. It was seriously creeping me out.

Anyway, the canned food was Albertsons brand so it wasn't related to the dog food recall.

10. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

never skimp on dog food. anything you can buy from your local grocery store or Petsmart is virtually **** food. find the good stuff that consist mainly of meats. it'll save you a bunch of money on vet bills.

11. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Yep!

This is the only "wet" food our little guy eats! Natural, freah, real meat foods from New Zealand!

[​IMG]

Although we do feed him Eukanuba kibble. :(

12. heypartner

my Beta dog is on a BARF diet.

well, a BARF diet mixed with some UFO's (unidentified food objects in the park)