1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The_Yoyo (in Vegas): Rockets Summer League Recap - Day 2

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

1 person likes this.
  2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Thanks Clutch

2 people like this.
  3. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

no, Thank you yoyo

4. clos4life

clos4life Member

Awesome stuff Yoyo, thanks!

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

This.

Thanks for the unique insight from being at the game. My two cents -- I think you hit the right concern... I know it's only 2 games and I'm not down on him yet, but Jordan Hill really has looked ho-hum out there. Can't be good for his trade value, but there's a few games left still.

You did a great job with the Morey interview too .. working on that now.

6. KIDLAT

KIDLAT Mahirap maging pogi
    Supporting Member

YO DA MAN

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

The fact that our defense is a huge question mark right now only magnifies the concern about Hill.

8. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

That's very interesting that PPatt was telling Hill where to go. I'm glad that he's such a floor leader with this group. Hopefully he will continue to be vocal when he gets on the court with the vets.

Lord with each of these posts I get more and more excited to get out there. I wish that yall were going to stay until Wednesday! ;)

9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Darn. :(

It's definitely a concern that Jordan Hill has not looked great out there.

10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Good stuff YoYo. Thanks.

I'm with you on the concern with Jordan, but I think it may be more of a case of square peg and round hole.

He is just not a natural 5 and we should expect some regression during the learning curve. Let's hope he grows into it.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Love the recap, agree on Hill, disagree a little bit on Smith, think he is just protecting the ball instead of making the riskier passes trying to get an invite to training camp.

But you are spot on about Hill, it is clear he is not a low post option, he needs to be on the move or off the ball to be effective at this point in his career.

This recaps are much appreciated, more insight than you get from the chronicle....well....EVER !

DD

#11 DaDakota, Jul 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  12. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Jordan Hill looked bad again!! Dude better step it up, there is guy ready to take his spot. Maybe D'Antoni was right, when he said about Hill that he plays rookies, he just doesn't play bad rookies.

13. psingh34

psingh34 Member

I think Jordan Hill is going to be fine.. last two games he has had 16 and 14 points respectively.. personally what is more alarming to be is Buddinger's 10 and 7 point efforts the last two games. I am surprised that there is no mention of that and such a big deal made about Hill even though in the two games he is averaging 15 points which is either second or third highest scoring average on the team

14. DaDakota

Last summer league they featured CBud, ran tons of plays for him, this year, they are featuring Taylor, Budinger is the one facilitating.

He could be shooting better, but he is playing a fairly efficient overall game, led the comeback in the 4th quarter last night with his rebounding and outlet passes.

Bud is fine...

DD

15. The_Yoyo

something that I have noticed in attending summer leagues is that returning players already on the team and had a role (like Bud and for example Ty Lawson for the nuggets) generally are much more passive in the second go around because they try to get everyone else involved. Summer league is a lot about getting yours since many of the guys are trying to land a spot somewhere, here or in europe. Guys already under contract with a rotation spot have nothing to gain by going out there and trying to dominate. Chase is fine. Hill and Taylor though under contact did not have a consistent rotation spot so they do have to show something. Taylor has so far, Hill has not.

Hill did score points, but his size and athleticism are more needed when it comes to playing defense, rebounding and shot blocking not scoring.

16. DaDakota

TYY,

With your statement in mind, what do you think of Maarty and his game? Does he have a spot on the Rox, or do you think he may have to move on to another team?

Does he look like he belongs on the floor, or does he look overmatched.

I know what I think, but I am not in the huddle or the gym, and would appreciate your perspective.

Thanks,

DD

17. The_Yoyo

Maarty at least to me hasn't shown much improvement from last year and unfortunately I do not think he has the size to play in the NBA. He plays more like a 3 but doesnt have the quickness to match up to other NBA 3s though he would be stronger than most NBA 3s. He isnt big enough to go up against NBA 4s either. He seems less aggressive this year, it could be that the staff is trying to focus on Hill and Taylor but there were times he could have pulled the trigger but did not.

Considering the depth at the 3 spot the Rockets have and the 4 spot I dont see how Maarty can make the league wearing a Rockets jersey unless some of the players at those respective positions are traded.

Maarty is still a very smart played and fundamentally sound but his game seems a bit more suited for Europe than the NBA.

18. Juxtaposed Jolt

I know they are a year apart, in terms of NBA experience, but I find it weird that a junior is telling his senior how to play basketball.

Hope Hill gets better, and I hope Patterson plays better as well.

19. DaDakota

Thanks.....and I think you are spot on...looking forward to the next report.

Much appreciated.

DD

20. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

It's funny how so many people are down on Hill but I personally feel positive. Perhaps it's because I started with such low expectations. He had such a bad attitude in New york, had terrible footwork and looked lost mostly. When he got here his attitude quickly changed. he had burst of great dunks and finishes around the basket, rebounded well and even had some blocks. All things I didn't expect from him and enough to change my thought and admit I was wrong about him.

Still I saw I kid who looked awkward and was a poor defender. he was definitely better than I thought on offense but not really on defense. So even while others herald there replacement for Scola and/or backup for Yao I saw a kid who needed a lot weight room work and footwork or else he was going to be a liability on defense.

I still see that now. But I see him trying to switch more and trying to defend his man more. But he is slow to react and gets beat. I don't know if he will ever be a good defender and that is my biggest concern with him. I think he has a low tolerance for error and gets frustrated when his man is beating him. But unlike many here I see him put out more effort than he ever did in New York so for that I feel positive.

I like his offensive game. He has hesitated at times to take it to basket with force but in both games he seems to improve on that in the second half. All around he has offensive tools like a poor mans bosh, okay very poor. Also he is playing the 5 and IMO his weak lower body makes it very difficult for him to do that in this league. My guess is the coaches continue to emphasize his defensive work and I think he is just a little slow to learn. I also think that frustrates him. In college he seemed to be more comfortable because he was a far superior athlete than the men he went up against so he didn't have to work so hard. But IMO his poor defensive work effort stopped AZ from being more of a presence.

I still see him as a liability on this team because IMO what we need most from him is defense and that is what he is worst at. The rumors of him working out hard don't seem to be so true. He doesn't appear to have gain any strength there. Still I seeing putting in more effort there... actually alot more effort than I thought possible when he first arrived here. So that is a real positive.

He is a project in my opinion and won't come off the bench before Hayes or Patterson in his current form. But he is young and almost played nothing last year. And sometimes a guy just needs time when a whole bunch of new stuff is thrown at him and I am sure that is exactly what is happening to him. The staff is overwhelming with defensive positioning and rotating and footwork and then correcting him and then at points Hill thinks WTF I can't do all of this. Just give me the ball and let me score!

But I think it's possible if he keeps working hard one day it's just going to all click for him and we will start to see great strides. So I am happy with what I've seen so far. Of course I am the guy with almost no expectations of him and I am very pleased to have a lot more now.