1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chinese Basketball Authority Not Ruling Out Requiring Yao to Play in FIBA Asia

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://sports.sina.com.cn/cba/2009-04-10/22314317905.shtml

According to Sina.com, China's basketball authorities stated they have not yet determined whether to require Yao Ming to play this summer in FIBA Asian Championships.

There will be a new coach for the national team, and the official head of basketball in China was also appointed recently. China is hosting this year's FIBA Asia. Given these facts, even though China is the favorite to win without Yao, they still may want to have him there just to ensure they don't suffer an embarassing loss.

No comments from Yao.

2. jzmagic

jzmagic Member

I'm almost certain Yao will be forced to play

3. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

screw that FIBA crap.

I don't want to hear it.

4. ibm

ibm Member

screw the cba, time for yao to default.

i mean seriously...

5. BleedsRocketRed

I thought durring the Olympics Yao said he wont do it again?

6. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

I'm sure Yao has enough money not to default on his loans......... :D

u mean defect.......... :eek:

7. ibm

ibm Member

sorry... i'm a day trader. too much econ stuff everyday, you know. :cool:

(i need to be able to edit my posts for typos, clutch.)

8. nightwatch

nightwatch Rookie

those commies are regular slave drivers, aren't they?

If Yao were in China he would probably be forced to play 7 days a week, 8 hours a day....at gunpoint. :eek:

9. clos4life

clos4life Member

They'll make Yao play. Guaranteed.

It's the one thing that makes me sad about Yao, even after the olympics they'll drive his 330 pound frame into the ground, greatly increasing his chances to keep having mid-season injuries for the Rockets. :(

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Way past time for Yao to declare that it's been an honor to play for his country, but that he is retiring from FIBA competition and is devoting the rest of his basketball career to winning an NBA Championship with the Houston Rockets, the only exception possibly being the next Olympics.

11. lalala902102001

Yao just needs to say no. He's too famous and has too many fans for China to do anything against him.

12. kaocsaephan

kaocsaephan Member

They want money from the Rockets.

13. Mashing

Mashing Member

Man what the hell. Don't they care that they're hurting Yao more than helping him. I mean, Yao is not going to decline it's going to have to be up to the CBA to keep him out.

14. devin23

devin23 Member

This is wacked. They will destroy yao and then they will have nobody to replace him.

15. Jaingfang

Jaingfang Member

One of the good/bad characteristics of Yao is the fact that he is very loyal. He went to the NBA only if he promised China he would play for them every summer, and he is probably going to live up to his word. He is probably also terrified on what happened to Wang Zhi Zhi when he refused to return to China where they banished him and had to beg for their forgiveness years later...Yao's old school China, and if the CBA says jump, he'll jump.

16. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Just wondering, does Yi also have to go back and play for CBA every summer as well?

17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

China stands to gain more with Yao's NBA career on the worldwide level than on their intercontinental bragging rights. Its like telling Jet Li he has to compete in the city martial arts championships

18. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

CBA is r****ded

19. levintblack

levintblack Contributing Member

What's better

a) Yao plays full, healthy season and the Rockets have lots of success but the Chinese national team only barely beats the other Asian countries in FIBA

b) Yao helps Chinese team crush the competition in FIBA but misses 10-30 games next season and Rockets get 7 seed and tough first round matchup

20. hoopwoo

hoopwoo Member

well, i am pretty sure in China orders from above can do more things than you can imagine. they don't need to sign contracts with you to make you work for them. they consider what yao has in NBA today comes from their permission to let him play in the NBA in the first place. if they decide he is needed, then he doesnt have much of chance to say no. just think about what Wang went through, you will understand what situation Yao is in now. And plus yao is a pretty loyal person....