1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao needs to concentrate on Defense and Rebounding

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Nov 5, 2008.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I understand that Yao's offensive game was horrible today, another missed dunk too. But the troubling trend is the horrible rebounding and defense.
    There were several occasions where Yao just lost Perkins or a guard would just blow by him without an attempt to block a shot. The Celtics don't even have a legit Center. Perkins is really a PF. Who cares if KG blocked you!

I know already the Yao-ists will pull the "he's tired" card. But this is the fourth game of the regular season and this was against the NBA Champions at HOME. You don't get tired, you get fired up. You howl at the crowd like Ron Artest.

I could live with the bad offense, it happens. but the defense is not acceptable for a guy who's been coached by JVG and Rudy T and Rick the Ruler.

I still remember the horrible 4th quarter vs the Jazz in 2007 where Yao was getting outboarded by Boozer/Okur. One of the main reasons why we lost the game. The boards.

Check out the quote from the Dream.. this is what he said at his Hall of Fame speech.

[​IMG]

2. Tsquare

Tsquare Member

Yeah he could have done a lot more in that department. He needs to stop tipping the ball around and just get the rebound!

3. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

I think he was trying to avoid being called more fouls, the refs were hard on him, and he knew he just by standing there already helped the team's paint defense, so why risk foul out early?

4. tinman

Supporting Member

There were several examples of the game today where Yao is in PERFECT POSITION to get a rebound and he doesn't.

5. zbh9805

zbh9805 Member

Yao needs to concentrate on Defense and Rebounding

could not be more agree

6. yaopowered

yaopowered Member

Yao's rebounding is fine.
    Yao's defense is also fine.

HOWEVER, the TEAM's rebounding is down. the Team's DEFENSE is also down.

People don't understand this but basketball is a TEAM game.

ONE person can't defend FIVE people. It's a team game.

JVG pounded this defensive mentality: TEAM DEFENSE. Not just one person.

Yao is fine. I'm worried about the TEAM's rebounding and defense. Every passing year, this team is forgetting JVG's philosophy, and becoming more Adelman.

7. tinman

Supporting Member

you clearly did not watch tonight's game. like many others who post here.

so you think if yao played like he did vs the Celtics we'll be world champions?

8. iku

iku Member

Maybe Yao does indeed need to improve his defense and rebounding, but while i was watching the game tonight, I noticed a lot of dirty moves from the Celtics. Examples like pulling Yao's jersey, grabbing his arms, and just simply abusing Yao from the very beginning.
    Usually the refs would make some early calls toward those fouls, thus causing the opponents to be in foul trouble, which leads to a less beat up Yao later in the game.
    However, that wasn't the story tonight. Instead Yao was sent to the bench just when his shots were starting to heat up. (I think he scored 6 points in like 5-6 minutes into the game)

9. yaopowered

yaopowered Member

I did watch the game. I agree, Yao had a bad game. It's ONE GAME. My god. What was Yao averaging before this game in rebounds? about 11? right?

Let's not OVERREACT and claim Yao is a Liability to this team.

Geez. It's ONE GAME, Man. ONE GAME.

10. NADman

NADman Member

I like how everyone is over reacting over ONE DAMN GAME.

Besides, tonight's game is fishy and most likely fixed. Boston was underdog +150, Houston was favorite -175. For those of you fools that doesn't know how to gamble, it means bet every $100 to win every $150 on Boston, and bet every $175 to win every $100 on Houston.

I have friends that are bookies, and they said A LOT of people betted on Houston to win tonight. That's why Houston lost. If Houston won, Las Vegas will be broke by now.

Tonight's game was fixed. If you people don't believe it, you're being naive.

11. GMAC

GMAC Member

The guy is SUPPOSE to average 25 ppg for us and be the focal point of our offense. Is he suppose to throw that all away b/c of one bad game?

JESUS :mad:

12. tinman

Supporting Member

oh you're right. Yao is the perfect player, so he doesn't need to improve on his defense or rebounding. That's why we have all those champions with Yao.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/duTfeDTst2I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/duTfeDTst2I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

13. tinman

Supporting Member

I claim that Yao needs to improve on his defense and rebounding.
    I claim you are a rookie.

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yao and Artest had the worst game of thier careers and we still only lost by four. All this team needs is Battier back and better coaching.

15. tinman

Supporting Member

Jesus saw that game and read this thread, and this thread has nothing to do with Yao's offense.

Jesus saw Perkins, Big Baby out rebound Yao. Also saw uncontested layups given up by Yao.

Jesus loves Yao but Jesus tells Yao to improve on his defense and rebounding or else Jesus we'll send him fishing like he did against the Jazz.

Jesus, newbs.

16. MisterPink

MisterPink Member

I think a lot you guys are really missing the point...

It was one game -- that's an excuse for poor offense. And there was definitely that from Yao.

I know exactly what Tinman means - perkins was blowing by him. In the third, he let Perkins get like 4 open shots in a row, all of which he sank -- the celtics shot like 60% in the 3rd. Unacceptable. There was one play where he let Ray Allen drive right down the baseline; right past him for a reverse. I'm pretty sure Rick or someone said something to him about it, because later in the 4th he cut it off pretty nicely when Pierce was on the drive.

He needs to work on his rotation. This is nothing new, but tonight it looked really, really bad.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

I doubt Rick Adelman told Yao to let Eddie House drive by him and not block his shot.

I doubt Rick Adelman told Yao to let short people out rebound him.

Don't put Ron Artest's name on this thread. He grabbed boards and played defense as he was expected to do.

If you were not disturbed by what happened out there, then you guys truly don't want a championship team. This is the best thing for you, be a blind and happy Rockets fan, who cares if we win or lose!

18. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I think Yao simply needs to get angrier and more vicious. This is something that has been talked about for years. There are brief signs of it here and there but he needs to play with tenacity every second he's out there. Yes, I'm talking about the whole "soft" theory. I'm not trying to dog Yao, just saying he needs to open up a can every second he's on the court. Among the many things Artest brings to this team, hopefully his aggression will carry over to Yao, and McGrady for that matter.

Yao needs to get angry and at least try to bully people. That's what guys like Artest and Garnett do every single night.

19. yaopowered

yaopowered Member

What a dumb comment. TinMan, you need to grow a brain.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

1. first of all, these people didn't watch the game. they don't even know where houston is on a map
    2. they keep referring to offense and not defense, which is what this thread is about
    3. blame the rest of the team for yao's problems. it was the team's fault that kendrick perkins blew by Yao. I guess it was Rafer's fault that he's our PG and he's not guard their Center. Yao is a Center but its not his fault..ever

I told you guys in all the other threads about this. I doubt the legitimacy of the fans here. Clutch made this site for hardcore Rocket fans and fans willing to become Rocket fans. But this has turned into a site where people only care about single players and worse they lie about watching the game.

Being a fan doesn't mean you defend your player or team for everything. it means you want them to win. it means if they play bad, you say so because you know they are much better.

If I believed that Yao could not improve his defense, then this thread would not exist. But I believe Yao could be better.
    vs
    People who already think he's the best and could do no wrong