1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[Official] Marc Stein Reports Steve Nash will be named MVP tomorrow

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tigermission1, May 6, 2006.

1. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

It's official apparently, Steve Nash will be handed the MVP trophy tomorrow afternoon. The Suns have called a press conference at 12:30pm central time tomorrow when the league will make it official.

2. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

The curse of the Bambino lives on. :(

3. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

Much deserved.

4. Asian Sensation

Imagine if the Suns would've lost in the 1st round. He would not have been able to show off the trophy in the next round of the series to the fans during the intro. I seriously thought Nash was going to be the first MVP to not lead his team past the first round but man he sure is resliant.

5. jlwee

jlwee Member

Sorry, if kobe won it, he should the one, the first MVP to not lead his team past the first round

6. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

probably the most impactful player the game has ever seen. well deserved.

7. high5

high5 Member

and what about Jason Kidd in his best years?

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

are they gonna give the trophy on game1 to him?
    this should motivate sam.

like robinson getting the mvp when dream came to town.

9. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I like Kidd in his prime over Nash in his prime.

Both could run an offense to perfection and really made mediocre players great. But Kidd played and still plays better defense and is a much much better rebounder. A bigger triple-double threat because of his greater all around game.

Nash shoots the ball much better but Kidd's overall game was just incredible during the years when the Nets made it to the finals. It's a shame that they didn't have Vince Carter during those years because it might've made a world of difference for that team.

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

you don't give steve nash the mvp two years in a row. i like the guy and i still think it's a joke. even if you think he deserves it more this year then last, and i'm one of those people, you don't give it to him again. last year is reward enough. he only plays on one freaking side of the ball.

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

id have to say nash had a great year. but lebrons stats are even better for him being so young to.

12. tigermission1

I think there were 3 or 4 guys whom I would've been more than OK with had they won it, but the Suns' feat this season probably was the determining factor in giving Nash the MVP trophy, because no one thought the Suns would be this good coming into the season; it's somewhat of a 'shock' factor, I guess.

Still, even if you didn't think Nash should've won it again, he was one of the top MVP candidates, and the majority of people seem to think he was the most deserving.

That's how it goes...

13. Omer

Omer Member

Nash getting it is better (and he deserves it) than the league building even more LeBron hype, especially after they screwed McGrady over in the All-Star game in Houston by giving the game MVP to LeBron. Should have been Co-MVP at the least since the West didn't win (but should have cause LeBron fouled McGrady remember?).

14. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I saw the interview with Nash at halftime of the Mavs-Spurs game and he basically said the same thing. Whether Nash deserved it or not you gotta admire such a humble MVP.

15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yeah. Nash definitely has more impact on a game than a guys like Oscar Robertson, Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Jordan or Hakeem Olajuwan. To the contrary, I don't think he even impacts the game anymore than Jason Kidd, a guy who is nowhere near belonging in the same category as the above mentioned players.

I understand you mean that Nash impacts the game in many ways, including some that aren't reflected in statistics; but it's still absolutely insane to think he impacts the game more than NBA greats like those I mentioned.

16. aaaa

aaaa Member

lol, francis 4 prez was being sarcastic, and then you answered with another sarcastic comment. :cool:

17. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

sarcastic? we're talking about steve nash here. a man who has almost won 3 games in a conference finals before. how many players can ever say they did that? a man who i once saw play defense for a possession. commitment to all phases of the game, baby. a man who has turned two olympians into workable role players and so set up another franchise that they had their best season ever after he left. a man who was almost as good as other players this very season, even with all the great performances this year. he does it all and to think a hakeem or shaq can measure up is a little silly.

don't you know if you hit .333 and win the batting title and then hit .344 the next year you automatically win again, even if someone else hit .400. that's just how it works.

18. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

this is a travesty

with all due respect to nash, he wasn't the mvp this year

i'm not a lakers or kobe fan, but he deserved it, he was the most valuable player this year

the lakers wouldnt've won 20 games this year if it wasnt for kobe

19. Turcan5

Turcan5 Member

I think Nash deserves the MVP. I don't think he has such a great team around him. Guys like Raja Bell and Boris Diaw didn't do much before they came to Phoenix. Marion is a guy who continues to disappear in playoff games. Odom was better than him for much of the series.

LeBron would have been my second choice over Kobe. I still think winning counts for something. IMO, your team needs to be better than a 7th seed to be the MVP of the league

20. tigermission1

Kobe was fourth on the list, Nash won in a landslide (as was initially reported a couple of weeks back on ESPN radio).

Here's the ranking:

1) Nash

2) Lebron

3) Nowitzki

4) Kobe

5) Billups

I think Nowitzki might've deserved it more than Kobe had he won it this year, but I would put Kobe ahead of Lebron in the voting, although they're both phenomenal this season.