1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets overrated?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Juugie, Dec 3, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Juugie

Juugie Member

In another thread, I posted a list of players that could be considered better than the 2nd best center in the league.

Shaq
    Kobe
    TMac
    Duncan
    Garnett
    Iverson
    Vince Carter
    Paul Pierce
    Webber
    LeBron
    Nowitzki
    Ben Wallace
    Jermaine O'Neal
    Karl Malone
    Pao Gasol
    Jason Kidd
    Kenyon Martin
    Baron Davis
    Marbury
    Amare
    Rasheed
    Zach Randolph
    Peja
    Rashard Lewis
    Elton Brand

After looking at that list, I started thinking. The Rockets don't have a single player that is a definite top 25 guy. I would put both Steve and Yao about top 30.

Given that, I don't feel so bad about their record. They are about where they should be. I think we SERIOUSLY overestimated the talent on this team.

Until Steve or Yao or bothe elevate their games to top 15/20 levels, this will continue to be a mediocre team.

What do you think?

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

They're not overrated, they just suck right now...

3. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

Vince Carter -- you do realize that if all Steve wanted to do was score and get 2 rebounds a game like Carter does (at 6-7!), he could do it too right? I'm not a fan of one dimensional players.

Paul Pierce -- in previous years maybe, but look at his stats this year. Great shooter, but without 'Toine in the lineup he's hurting to carry the team.

Webber -- would be better than Yao, but soft as hell and only plays 50 games a season. Not worth it.

LeBron -- wow, after 14 games of 16-6-6 you're way too high on him. francis was at least this good rookie season, don't be too quick to judge.

Karl Malone -- not better than Yao at age 40. Put Yao on the Lakers, and he's putting up the same stats. Smart player though, I am a fan of Karl Malone.

Pao Gasol -- it's PaU, and he's not as good as Yao. You can pretty ask any scout in the league.

Kenyon Martin -- overrated. yeah he's improved, but he's never going to be a great player. remember that one year he was like "some people just don't show up everyday..." well he doesn't either.

Baron Davis -- this season he is... but will it last?

Marbury -- marbury is good, but most teams would rather have Yao I think.

Amare -- check the Stats, Yao is better across the board.

Rasheed -- 3 years ago, I would have said Rasheed Wallace was better than Kevin Garnett. Now? Better than Yao? You're kidding me right?

Zach Randolph -- pretty good, but you need more than 15 games at 20-10 before you can be labeled a top tier player.

Peja -- okay... maybe you have a point here.

Rashard Lewis -- not an all star... yet. you're too high on him too early.

4. kobo

kobo Member

Come on. Gimme some of that you've been smokin'.

5. Shrimpie

Shrimpie Member

By coming up with such a list, you are obviously not a Yao-only-fan. The question remains on whether you are a rocket fan.

Shrimpie

6. choujie

choujie Member

Give me a reason you consider Amare, Rasheed, Kmart,Malone, Gasol etc better than Yao. In case you didn't know,Webber hasn't player one game, Brand only played one this season. Gald you didn't put Grant Hill on your list.

7. tannersearle78

I think we shouldn't think of the Rockets in terms of being overrated or underrated.

Let's put it this way, if the Rockets were a Sirloin Steak, right now they would be considered Medium Rare. Soft, tender, and bleeding all over the court.

8. Juugie

Juugie Member

What I'm saying is that neither Steve nor Yao is what you have to consider a player that without a doubt MUST be top 25 on everyone's list.

Look at the teams in the west that we are competing with for playoff spots.

Lakers - Shaq/Kobe
    Dallas - Dirk
    Minnesota - Garnett
    SA - Duncan
    Sac - Webber
    Portland - Rasheed

And Phoenix and Seatlle are borderline
    Phoenix - Marbury/Marion/Amare
    Seattle - Rashard/Ray Allen

Most of the other teams have at least one superstar.

And I stand by my point that right now neither Steve nor Yao are LOCKS to be in the top 25. Some people may have them there, some won't. But you can't call someone crazy if they are left off the list.

I hope one or both of them raise their games to that level.

9. Juugie

Juugie Member

Amare - Rookie of the Year
    Rasheed - led team to multiple playoff appearances and series wins
    KMart - Rookie o fthe year; helped lead team to NBA finals
    Malone - All Star MVP, led team to two finals appearance, double digit all star selection
    Gasol - Rookie of the Year

Yao - (SO FAR) nothing.

10. choujie

choujie Member

:D :D :D

So you consider player better because they got voted by the media at some point of their career? Then how can you rate Lebron that high? As I remember, Steve was ROY too.

Just to remind you in case you didn't know this either:
    Yao, one all-star appearance already instead of NOTHING, and looks like he's going to be an all star this year and it's likely to be coaches' selection. You can't be about any other player you just metioned above.

11. Juugie

Juugie Member

You are correct about the all star appearance.

I'm not saying that these players are definitely better than Yao. I'm saying that someone could make a case - that neither Yao nor Steve is a lock for top 25 right now.

12. choujie

choujie Member

If you consider Rasheed a "lock", please lock Yao twice.

Top 25 player on not, that really has nothing to do with team overrating. Look no further at TMac and the Orlando Magic right now.

13. Juugie

Juugie Member

Point taken about TMac.

I still think that if Yao and Steve can both elevate their games to the top 15 level, then the Rockets would have a chance to be special.

14. farhan007

farhan007 Member

umm, steve is probably top 15. I dont know what you smokin...

15. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

exactly.

when the dust settles and they finish playing all of these mindgames with themselves, i'm sure they'll be the sixth seed.

16. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

I kind of hear where your coming from but those guys you mentioned, their teams have the same record or a worse record than the Rockets(besides sac and LA) Every team is kind of struggling right now. I look at it as healthy competetion. Kind of like whats been going on in the NFL. The midwest division certainly has all its teams competing well. But so far that top 25 player label is really not doing much for those guys teams right now. In the end they may seperate, but its too early to tell.

and tannerserale, I like that. Thats a good one.

17. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Mike Miller beat him out for ROY 2001.

That's what I think.

Evan

18. haven

haven Member

The Rockets suck! Boy are they overrated! None of their players could start for the Spurs! Gee, they're really horrible! Unwatchable. Fire Van Gundy!

(Note: All of this shall be retracted upon their next win, at which point the vile national media shall once more be screwing our Rockets by only rating them 8th in their power rankings).

19. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

If you don't like any of the players on this team, quit being a fan of the Rockets and go somewhere else to try to piss people off.

20. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

this Juugie guy is obviosly not a fan, just some troll. ignore him and maybe he'll go away :rolleyes: (like the clap)