1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do the Boston Celtics suck?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LCII, May 16, 2008.

1. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

First they get taken to 7 games by the hapless Hawks, and now the same thing is happening to them against the Cavs who had been playing like crap after their big trade.

So what gives? Is it just the players, the coach, or both?
    For a team that won 65 games in the regular season .... they should've easily wiped out the Hawks and handled the Cavs in 5-6 games.

2. T.Mcgrady

T.Mcgrady Member

Allen and Pierce have been playing some of the worse ball of their careers. Garnett has really stepped it up; that's the only reason they are winning games at this stage of the playoffs.

The Celtics are still playing great D despite their offensive woes.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

bad coaching. he's got the wrong people on the court.
    when someone gets hot, he benches them, when someone is cold, he leaves them out there. then tonight.. big baby taking crunch shots?

where's sam? yeah i know he's had bad games, but so has ray allen and lebron. you have to let your players play some minutes and get confidence. zero minutes? but big baby is taking shots in the 4th. go figure.

4. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

They just aren't living up to the hype. Some of the most boring basketball I've ever watched.

5. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Been saying since about 1/4 through the season that I didnt think they could beat The Pistons in a 7 game series...even if they do win in game 7 against Cleveland, which I see no reason why a road team will break out now, I see Detroit beating them in 6.

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

1. Doc Rivers can't coach
    2. Ray Allen decided to retire after the regular season ended
    3. Paul Pierce is wasting his time/energy trying to guard LeBron (see #1)
    4. Rajon Rondo, albeit are giving them a much needed boost with his scoring, isn't the type of point guard the Celtics need to run this team.
    5. Their veteran signings haven't paid off (Cassell and Brown)
    6. Their rotations are confusing (see #1)
    7. They've effectively taken their role players out of the playoffs. Powe and House, players that contributed regularly during the season, aren't seeing much while sorryass players like Big Baby are (see #1)
    8. Their offensive scheme ...wait, there isn't an offensive scheme (see#1)
    9. The Big Three is The Big One with Paul Pierce featuring Ray Allen (kinda ripped this off of the Sports Guy). Garnett's putting up numbers while Pierce and Allen can't do anything right.
    10. Karma. Sczerbiak and Joe Smith are probably laughing it up that Garnett he's having a hard time even with two All-Stars next to him. Same goes for Delonte West (who I honestly think is better than Rondo if he's 100% healthy)

This isn't a reason why the Celtics suck but has anyone notice how much Kendrick Perkins b**** and whine? This has got to be the most whining done by an irrelevant player in the history of the NBA. Everytime a foul is called, he thinks that he's some sort of superstar that's immune to fouls. If there was an All-Whine Team v. Playoffs, he would make it along with David West and Carlos Boozer

7. tinman

Supporting Member

Cassell made a difference in Game 1 and 2. But since he's struggling, Rivers pretty decided to not give him any minutes.

lets compare this to Rudy T, who balanced Kenny and Sam well. not playing one player for an entire game is not a good balance.

8. steddinotayto

Technically, Kenny played a lot in Game 1 against the Magic and Cassell took over Game 2 but I know what you're saying.

The thing that troubles me the most is why is Doc insistent on playing Davis when Leon Powe is on the bench? The guy started in place of Garnett when he went down and they didn't skip a beat.

The ineptitude of the coaches in the East is baffling.

9. steddinotayto

One more thing: start Posey in place of Allen. Put Posey on LeBron. Bring Allen in as your 6th man.

You have Posey working on LeBron, leaving Pierce free to save some energy on the offensive end. Then you have Ray Allen coming in fresh against Cleveland's 2nd unit where he should fare better. They aren't going to lose much with a Rondo/Pierce/Posey/KG/Perkins starting lineup. But you know what? They're lucky they're playing game 7 in Boston because Doc's ass would be saved once again.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

what's also bad is how it seems every boston possession is a difficult one on one situation.

i really hope that doc rivers pisses Sam off that he'll rejoin the Rockets to end his career. we know you can still shoot Sam! :D

11. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

Cassell is old and so is this guy tinman.

12. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Doc Rivers is one of the worst coaches in the league IMO. If it weren't for Tom Thibodeaux and his defense then Doc would have been exposed this season. I really expected the Celtics to try to get a real coach when they amassed all this talent. It isn't like they have much of a window to do the trial an error approach.

The other problem is Ray Allen. Sure, Ray is a great guy for being the one who sacrificed the most out of the big 3 but when you bring in a guy because he is the best shooter in the league you expect him to hit open shots in the playoffs. Ray Allen is choking and it isn't even like Bruce Bowen is guarding him. He is just missing shots he has made for 15 years.

If Doc Rivers learns how to coach OR if Ray Allen becomes Ray Allen again then they are my favorite to win it all. If Doc keeps being Doc and Ray keeps being Luther Head then they are not getting past Detroit no matter how badly Rasheed tries to sabotage himself and the Pistons.

13. steddinotayto

This is why Rondo isn't a good point guard for this team. He's highly skilled and I think he's going to be pretty good like a Tony Parker but this team needs a creator and a facilitator and not a scorer. Ray Allen's shooting is hurting them is because he's not Jesus Shuttlesworth anymore. He's in that stage of his career where he's only good spotting up for open jumpers.

14. steddinotayto

The funny thing is, when the Celtics meet the Pistons, the coaching matchup is a wash. Flip isn't as bad as Doc but he's not holding a greater advantage either. The advantage is that his team, as a whole, is a lot better than the Celtics. I see Detroit stealing a game in Boston and win in 6

15. ibm

ibm Member

too much emphasis on defense. not enough offensive flow.

it kills the game, and it kills the teams. the 2 series boston played have both been dog fights. i don't think bball is meant to be played like that. me as a fan doesn't like it a bit.

16. ibm

ibm Member

too much emphasis on defense. not enough offensive flow.

it kills the game, and it kills the teams. the 2 series boston played have both been dog fights. i don't think bball is meant to be played like that. me as a fan don't like it a bit.

17. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

they don't suck.. they're just misunderstood

18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

they suck because for most of all of their careers they've been on losing teams (excluding sam of course).

19. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

They have no go-to guy on the offense. When jumpers are not falling, they are in trouble.

20. SkipToMyLou22

SkipToMyLou22 Member

They were playing pretty good (most of the time) in the regular season. But when playoffs came around, they just started to suck alot, but managed to just make it through to the second round and are just keeping up with the Cavaliers who only have Lebron (who's not even playing at his usual best).

Something happened to Ray Allen too! He's missing shots he would of made easily =O They really do need some better offence too.