1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eddie Jones?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Apr 15, 2003.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Is this true? Posted on realgm:

Possible deals Miami would persue (to trade Eddie Jones) could be the same one's that were talked about before the trading deadline. Miami had conversations with Houston about Cuttino Mobley and Maurice Taylor.

If true, Rox need more back than EJ for CM/MoT.

2. Lpya2

Lpya2 Member

i do not know what is going to happen but im asking when do teams start trading again because we sure need some serious help. i would trade to get eddie jones but let some one else come with him someone like Rashal Butler he has a nice shot.

3. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Dang, that would be tempting. Jones is a team player that is outstanding on defense. I've never heard a negative word on Jones. if the choice were between making this move, or no move at all, I'd make this move.

However, we would certainly need to get a decent power forward with actual power. That would have to be done through a MCE signing or trading Rice's valuable contract.

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Eddie Jones is expendable now that the Heat have Caron Butler. Now, he's on the wrong side of thirty and is coming off a major injury, so the Heat will be looking to dump his contract with four years still left on it. Of course, I don't think many teams will go for it, so it looks like Miami is stuck with Jones for now...

Let's get really crazy here.

Eddie Griffin and Glen Rice for Caron Butler and Brian Grant. Rice will be excellent trade bait because of his expiring contract, and Griffin is on the rookie scale so he's cheap and Miami might be able to tap all of that supposed potential. The Rockets get someone that can bang down low to compliment Taylor's scoring and they get a versatile slasher/scorer that can put the ball on the floor. Zo's gargantuan contract is off the books, Rice's contract expires in a year, and Miami has loads of cap room.

Of course, this is assuming that hell freezes over and the lottery goes according to plan. Cleveland takes Lebron, Denver takes Milicic, and Miami takes Carmello, who might be better than Butler right now...

5. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

i would love to have Jones in our team, he is a real team player. but not for te expence of Mobley AND griffin

6. robbieg

robbieg Member

Why cant we trade Mobley for butler? I mean,Mobley is part of "the second youngest team in the nba" and he is still an up and comer.

Thats only fair. Our young guy,for their young guy.

*Im being sarcastic,Im tired of the young team excuse*

Butler is what,22?,and I dont hear people saying he needs more experience. He is already a stud. Unlike Mobley. Im getting to the point where I would trade mobley for a bag a chips.But I dont want Jones. Too old.Im tired of this franchise selling out and getting old guys just to save rudys job.This has got to be the worst franchise in the history of the nba at developing young talent.

7. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Eddie Jones would be good, but he is always injured, plus he makes way too damn much money. Plus, how much better than Mobley is he. yeah he is better, definitely his passing, but Cat's D has gotten significantly better, and he makes only 5 mil. I would be more interested in Brian Grant from Miami. :cool:

8. Newgirl

Newgirl Member

When will we ever learn? Don't ever give or take on a role player with max type of contract, even when you have the money to spare. In the end, it would limit your team option, and consequently ruin your team future. Didn't we see it all with Rice, Taylor, etc?

9. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Houston trades: SF Glen Rice (9.0 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 1.0 apg in 24.7 minutes)
    PF Maurice Taylor (8.4 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 1.0 apg in 20.6 minutes)
    SG Cuttino Mobley (17.6 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 2.8 apg in 41.7 minutes)
    Houston receives: SG Eddie Jones (18.5 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 3.7 apg in 38.1 minutes)
    PF Brian Grant (10.4 ppg, 10.3 rpg, 1.3 apg in 32.5 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: -6.1 ppg, +5.0 rpg, and +0.2 apg.

Miami trades: SG Eddie Jones (18.5 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 3.7 apg in 38.1 minutes)
    PF Brian Grant (10.4 ppg, 10.3 rpg, 1.3 apg in 32.5 minutes)
    Miami receives: SF Glen Rice (9.0 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 1.0 apg in 60 games)
    PF Maurice Taylor (8.4 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 1.0 apg in 67 games)
    SG Cuttino Mobley (17.6 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 2.8 apg in 71 games)
    Change in team outlook: +6.1 ppg, -5.0 rpg, and -0.2 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The question was -- did anyone hear this rumor back in Feb? I sure missed it.

11. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Even better deal for Houston: :)

Houston trades: SF Glen Rice (8.9 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 1.1 apg in 24.7 minutes)
    PF Maurice Taylor (8.4 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 1.0 apg in 20.6 minutes)
    PG Moochie Norris (4.4 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 2.4 apg in 16.8 minutes)
    Houston receives: SG Eddie Jones (18.5 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 3.7 apg in 38.1 minutes)
    PF Brian Grant (10.3 ppg, 10.2 rpg, 1.3 apg in 32.2 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: +7.1 ppg, +7.1 rpg, and +0.5 apg.

Miami trades: SG Eddie Jones (18.5 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 3.7 apg in 38.1 minutes)
    PF Brian Grant (10.3 ppg, 10.2 rpg, 1.3 apg in 32.2 minutes)
    Miami receives: SF Glen Rice (8.9 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 1.1 apg in 61 games)
    PF Maurice Taylor (8.4 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 1.0 apg in 67 games)
    PG Moochie Norris (4.4 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 2.4 apg in 81 games)
    Change in team outlook: -7.1 ppg, -7.1 rpg, and -0.5 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Hard sell to the Heat - the Heat saves 40+ million in contracts over the next four years, gets another 3+ million under the cap this summer (to sign a big name free agent), and then shaves another 10 million off the cap next summer when Rice's contract expires.

12. MykTek

MykTek Member

cat, mo and mooch
    for
    jones and 1st....

right now the 1st of miami is atleast a 4th-7th....wouldn't be crazy if we won the lottery again.....James,Milicic, or Anthony would be nice....maybe TJ Ford might come out too....since he had that injury, might change his mind....hehehe....ahhh...i like dreaming....

if all fails, i think Steve Blake is a good pickup in the 2nd round...good distributor and plays good D, kinda an avg shooter....but he's from MD....hehehe

13. Likemike33

Likemike33 Member

Jones is 31, he's not that young anymore and trading for CAt and moochie is one thing instead of putting Taylor, unless it's a cap issue.

14. KeepJuaquin

KeepJuaquin Member

I think Mobley is better than Eddie Jones. Giving up Mobley AND Mo Taylor for just him is crazy. But Mobley for Eddie wouldn't work because Eddie makes like 3 times more than Mobley.

I would like Brian Grant though...Caron Butler would be nice too.

Pat Riley too.

15. spiral

spiral Member

would be nice if this trade actually happened. mobley is undersized for a shooting guard. but not for only eddie jones, they need to throw a first round lottery pick in.

16. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

I like that trade!Getting a fisrt round while geting rid of Cat "ball hogging" Mobley,Mooch(for obvious reasons) and MoT(though I'd replace him by Rice or Cato).

ALA