1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Some people still believe the earth is flat?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CountyClerk, Jul 26, 2009.

1. CountyClerk

CountyClerk Member

According to the BBC "Flat earth theory is still around. On the internet and in small meeting rooms in Britain and the US, flat earth believers get together to challenge the [conspiracy] that the Earth is round." I am an opened minded person but I don't see how this is possible. If you are a flat earth believer how do you explain the earth is flat with all the information about the earth? such as the poles, day and night time, distance travel, etc etc etc.

Check out this article from the BBC

Do they really think the earth is flat?

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I can't remember if it's the same people or a different group, but some people also still believe that Earth is the center of the universe.

3. Tree-Mac

Tree-Mac Contributing Member

Because they are flat, so they think the Earth is flat too.

4. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

or howbout simply looking at satellite pictures of the earth

5. Tree-Mac

Tree-Mac Contributing Member

One guy in the article is a computer scientist and believes the Earth is flat?! He is an attention w**** to me.

6. CountyClerk

CountyClerk Member

According to them satellite photos are fake. What I am talking about is more obvious and simple evidences that the earth is round like how we have day/night at the same time.

7. CountyClerk

CountyClerk Member

In different part of the world i mean.

8. CountyClerk

CountyClerk Member

My thought exactly.

9. Major

Major Member

What about the simple fact that they can get a in boat and make a big circle around the globe?

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qw5eTaGSKPc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qw5eTaGSKPc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Aflat The World In 80 Days

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

CountyClerk, you don't spend much time in D&D, do you? :D
    I mean that as sincere praise.

But I've learned a lot about the range of people's beliefs here. Though it was in Hangout where I, with great sadness, learned that some young people believe the moon landing was fake, despite piles of evidence and a planet-wide conspiracy that would be needed to carry out said fake.

13. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

What about the pictures of Armstrong standing in front of a Hollywood green screen? Not to mention being totally able to see the strings attached to the "space vehicles."

;) :cool: :D :eek:

14. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

In my travels, I've met people who think the Grand Canyon is only a few thousand years old and/or was caused by the great flood.

15. Major

Major Member

I know some people like that too. At least with that, they can argue God snapped his fingers and created a history of the world, etc, etc. There's not really a way to "prove" otherwise.

With the Earth being flat, you can literally test it yourself by taking a boat or plane and making a big circle.

16. coolthunderz

coolthunderz Member

Why would people that think the world is flat get on a boat to see if it is flat? If they fall off the Earth, they died. So they are not going to go on this suicide trip, because its scary for them.

17. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Believers of a flat Earth also believe that Earth accelerates upwards at 9.8 m/s to simulate gravity. Most believe that the sun and the moon are also flat.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Flat Eart Society = A-Cup society?

19. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

They have an "explanation" for this.

But explain this to me like I'm a 6 year old - how does one get vast profit for making people believe the earth is round? Wouldn't it be equally impressive if we saw pictures from the bottom side of the earth if it was indeed flat instead of pictures of it being round?

#19 eMat, Jul 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  20. Major

Major Member

Even this doesn't make sense. I did some searching, and here's the flat-worlders' map of the world:

[​IMG]

Two problems here:

1. Why not try to peer off the edge of Antartica? There have got to be some explorers amongst the flat-Earthers who'd love to see the edge of the world, no?

2. This would suggest it would take much less time trying to travel from North America to Europe / Asia than it would from South America to Africa. I wonder how they explain that this doesn't actually happen.

Bizarre.