1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Dynamo] Offseason thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by DrLudicrous, Nov 17, 2009.

1. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Last report had him going to Livorno as soon as the transfer window opens.

I'm guessing Stuart Holden is as good as gone, too.

3. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Should be interesting, especially since I agree with leroy in thinking that Holden is gone. He's performed too well on the international stage to not get some European calls. It's a shame we can't keep talent like him and Rico, but that's the way that MLS works right now.

The outcome of the runoff election will also be crucial to the Dynamo's off-season plans. I don't want to send this thread to D&D, but it looks like the stadium battle could be further uphill if Anise Parker wins. Hopefully the Dynamo are accounting for this and I pray that they're patience is not wearing thin with the city of Houston.

4. DrLudicrous

It seems like there could be a lot of player movement this offseason. In addition to Rico and Stu leaving we've got a few players that could retire (Waibel, Barrett, Mulrooney, Onstad). Outside of Onstad we've played most of the season without them so it's mainly depth that we would lose if any of them are gone next year. Of course, our depth is one of the main factors of us doing so well over the last few seasons. I'm not sure what Cochrane's contract is like but I doubt the Dynamo want him around next season for what he's making. And there's an expansion draft next week were we'll probably lose somebody.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

yeah. a lot of our guys, especially on the defensive end are getting up there in age. Not sure some are going to retire, but they won't last a whole lot longer. The defense is pretty deep, so they will probably fine, but the midfield could definitely use some help.

6. DrLudicrous

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I had meniscectomy on my left knee to repair a torn meniscus and MCL. That wasn't fun, being off my knee and off running for a while. Not cool. But it stopped the pain I had. Get well, CHING-ón. :eek:

8. leroy

Another big consideration for next season is potential players lost for national team duty. I know the MLS is going to shut down during the actual tournament, but how much time will Ching and Holden (if he's still here) be away from the team in preparation games and actual time spent in S. Africa?

Can Landin be a suitable replacement up front? What little I've seen of him so far tells me that he would not be. He appears to be an immature player that disappears for huge portions of games.

Who replaces Clark and Holden in the middle? Does Geoff Cameron move back into the midfield? Seems Brad Davis was playing a lot more up the middle, but, IMO, that dilutes his skills.

Going to be a very busy offseason. However, if there's a front office that I trust to do the right thing, it's the Dynamo front office.

9. leroy

The first time I read that, I swear I thought you said you had a mastectomy. :)

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

HOLDEN is going nowhere and CLARK will not last long in Europe (that's what THEY said :eek: ). Book it.
    I must have been "out" during that time. :(

11. leroy

Care to expand on that?

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

how so?

13. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

While Clark won't blossom into a superstar, I doubt he will bomb out of the Europe leagues like some random scrub.

Wondering about Holden however, I think if we have a shot to retain anyone, it would be him. But man, we are going to have to make some offseason moves to replenish this team.

14. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Rico will have his work cut out for him in Italy as the history of American players in Italy is minute and the respect for American players is not on the same level as that in England(That says a lot since the respect for American players is still growing slowly there).

As for Stu, he refuses to talk about the offseason with anyone and he's just changed agents recently but I still feel his personal situation and his status on the national team at the moment will lead him to re-up with MLS for a short stay-min. 2yrs to a low 6 figure salary. He'll be able to stay at home(Houston), be close to his mum, earn a decent wage (though much less than he would in Europe) and get regular pt in the WC run-up as opposed to moving to Europe in the Winter window and trying to fit in with a team in which the manager may or may not use him which would hamper his WC chances.

My two cents. I'll find out more over Christmas.

15. shsu33

shsu33 Member

2010- the return of Ngwenya!

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

I'm not a big soccer fan but I thought I'd pass this along. Probably not news to some of you who follow it more but Holden being targeted by Scottish team.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/soc/6731917.html

17. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Hell, I'm just glad the douches of LA Galaxy lost...although, the first goal was pretty sweet...

18. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Yeah, I'm glad we don't have to have another LA loss in the playoffs turning into a championship to hang over the city's head in 2009.

I wonder, which players we are definitely going to protect in the expansion draft? I think this year we have enough retiring or Euro bound players that we will have slots for all our major contributors but I don't have the roster right in front of me.

19. DrLudicrous

Expansion draft protected list.
    http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/11/mls-expansion-draft-protected-lists-unveiled.html

Ashe, Corey
    Boswell, Bobby
    Cameron, Geoff
    Ching, Brian
    Davis, Brad
    Hall, Tally
    Hainault, Andrew
    Holden, Stuart
    Mullan, Brian
    Oduro, Dominic
    Weaver, Cameron

Chabala and Landin are the noticeable exceptions, I expect Chabala will be taken by Philly.

The fact that they protected Holden may be a sign that they think they can hold on to him since Clark has stated he'll be going and they left him available. Also, they protected Hall but not Onstad, Onstad makes a hefty salary and is near retiring which would make him not too desirable, but they must think a lot of Hall to protect him.

20. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Luckily we didn't lose anyone in this expansion draft.

Still at the same time, I feel slighted even though I perfectly understand it. Conflicted feeling this.