1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Penetration, or the lack of it is killing this team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Dec 27, 2005.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The more I watch this team play the more amazed I am that other than TMac we do not have anyone that is capable of penetrating and dishing or finishing with the ball.

If you recall, the championship Rocket teams had several players that could penetrate and finish...Kenny, Vernon, Mario...etc..etc..

So, if the other team took away your post game, there were other options.

This team (and yes there are tons of injuries) is hurting more in that there is only one style of play, and teams are able to shut that down.

At least when Yao and Tmac are in, they have much more options, but not having someone that can beat his man off the dribble and set up easy shots for our bigs, and our smalls is really KILLING this team.

Rafer could be that guy, but only if he penetrates....the high pick is designed to free up some space for the guard to penetrate and dish, or finish, or pass to the roll. But right now, teams can go over the pick because no one outside of Tmac is capable of penetrating.

Luther could, but his handles are not all that great, he is WAY too much right hand dominant, Graham has not had the ball in his hands enough to know, Wesley is simply not that good a finisher, and Moochie is just too small and too slow to be a consistent threat.

I am convinced that our shooting percentage would go up a good 10 points with a good penetrating guard.

Dang...gonna be a tough year.

DD

2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I completely agree. I think finishing will come to Luther Head, but it will be a while before he develops it.

3. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

We have to bring in Vassills Spaniouls next year.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I sometimes forget about that guy, I wonder if CD and JVG are regretting not bringing him in THIS year.

Clearly he would have some value.

DD

5. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

From the limited time I watched him, he didn't seem to be very good at penetration.

6. Jeffster

Jeffster Contributing Member

I think lack of penetration is slowly killing me too.

7. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

Lack of penetration is killing us. At least we have head. Its better than nothing.

8. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

:eek: :eek: :D :D :D

9. chris845

chris845 Member

I think Tracy would have better luck penetrating his wife at the hospital tonight.

10. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

un-freakin-necessary.

11. rvpals

rvpals Member

Head usually gets good penetration. Just need to do that more often.

12. askball

askball Member

i think wesley did a decent job tonight of penetrating. he does a good job of drawing contact and getting to the free throw line. Luther is ok also but he always seems a little out of control. penetration is a problem but i still think our bigger problem is stopping it. The answer is Earl Watson

13. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Some of that Vassilisine would probably help with the penetration.

14. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Couldn't pass it up, huh, Will?

[​IMG]

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

There had to be some penetration 9 months ago. Good job, Tracy.

16. Panda

Panda Member

It'd help to have the cheerleaders screaming for more penetration.

17. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

this thread is getting way out of G-rated. guys, there are kids on this board. not that i am a kid. :D

18. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Right now what is killing this team is a lack of any consistent shooting from the role players. The rockets shot 21% or so for a vast majority of the 2nd half. That will not cut it. Right now it would help to have a nice point guard to take the pressure off T-Mac with Yao out, but when both stars are healthy, the team really doesn't need a true pg. I admit Rafer would be nice to have right now with the current roster but when both stars are healthy, they need role players who can hit open jumpshots, which has been the achilles heel of this team all year.

19. Panda

Panda Member

This team needs a third scorer, a slasher and playmaker is the best, if not a strong post presence will do too. Regardless of current situation, even with all the players healthy there is about 20 minutes a game in which only Yao or T-Mac is playing. One more legit third scorer will be great for the offense. When either Yao or T-Mac is missing a game, such player can be promoted to our second scorer, as is now.

20. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

surely our lake of penetration is balanced out by our inability to stop penetration at the other end :rolleyes: