1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Koch-Kalu show leads the way for KBME in monthly radio ratings

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets34Legend, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/...ds-the-way-for-kbme-in-monthly-radio-ratings/

With the Texans out of the playoff picture and KBME’s (790 AM) midday team of Greg Koch and N.D. Kalu rapidly becoming the most popular sports radio duo in town, sports radio audiences for the January ratings book from Nielsen Audio adjusted accordingly from January 2013 numbers.

For the period Jan. 2-29, KILT, the Texans flagship station, ranked 12th among all stations in men 25-54, the key demographic for sports radio, with a 3.3 audience share for the Monday-Sunday weeklong ratings. That’s down from a 4.6 percent share for January 2013. KBME (790 AM) was at 1.8, up from 1.4 a year ago, thanks in large part to continued growth for the Koch-Kalu show. KFNC (97.5 FM) dropped to 1.0 from 1.4 a year ago, and KGOW (1560 AM) had a 0.2 percent share after failing to register in January 2013.

Turning to the weekday dayparts, In morning drive time (6-10 a.m.), KBME moved into first place among sports stations and eighth overall with a 3.7 percent share, just ahead of KILT at 3.6, thanks in large part to a gargantuan first hour in that daypart from Kalu and Koch. A year ago, KILT was at 5.6 and KBME at 2.0. KFNC was at 1.0 and KGOW at 0.3.

In middays (10 a.m.-3 p.m.), KILT was at 3.8 to 1.5 for KBME, 1.2 for KBME and 0.2 for KGOW. KILT was at 4.1 in January 2013 while KBME held steady, no mean feat given the unfortunate addition of the midday syndicated Jay Mohr show.

In afternoon drive (3-7 p.m.), the first month for KILT with Sean Pendergast replacing Josh Innes alongside Rich Lord produced a 3.3 percent share for KILT, down from 5.2 in January 2013. KBME was at 1.9, down a tenth of a point. KFNC at 1.4 and KGOW at 0.2 rounded out the field.

From 7 p.m. to midnight, KILT was at 2.1, KBME at 1.1 and KFNC at 1.0, KGOW did not register. KILT had a 2.8 percent share in January 2013.

Let’s move to show-by-show numbers. Koch and Kalu are averaging a 5.4 share for their two-hour show (9-11 a.m.) on KBME, which is the best number for any sports show in January. Lance Zierlein and Adam Clanton had a 3.1 share from 6-9 a.m., Matt Thomas was at 1.3 from 2-4 p.m. and Charlie Pallilo had a 2.1 share from 4-7 p.m. The Jay Mohr show had a 0.5 share from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Even though its numbers are down from a year ago, KILT is a consistent performer across the board. John Lopez and Nick Wright have a 3.6 share from 6-10 a.m., Mike Meltser and Seth Payne have a 3.8 share from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. and Lord and Pendergast have a 3.5 share from 2-6 p.m. The combination of Ted Johnson and Texans radio had a 2.4 share from 6-10 p.m.

Elsewhere, the Jerome Solomon-Dave Tepper (noon-2 p.m.) and Fred Faour-A.J. Hoffman (4-7 p.m.) shows were in the 1.3 range in January on KFNC, and KGOW’s John Granato-Sean Salisbury show had a 0.2 share from 3-7 p.m.

In the broadest demo, persons 12-plus, KILT had a 2.2 share in the weeklong numbers to 0.9 for KBME, 0.5 for KFNC and 0.1 for KGOW.

At this point we generally would turn to the rest of the market, but the debut in January of Clear Channel’s new urban format at KQBT (93.7 FM), the former KKRW, had such a strong showing in January that we will deal with it in a separate entry to come.

2. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

good for 790. i LOVE listening to lance and adam, jay mohr, and pallilo (although someone needs to tell charlie to stop whining about csn/"nobody" watching the rockets...i mean i get it, but you don't have to say the same thing every single day). i find L&A absolutely hilarious and enjoy the rockets-driven content and interviews with morey, ackerman and blank. and of course i enjoy jay mhor and his band of giggling stoners at lunch time. love when he taunts lakers fans about dwight. don't really listen to the radio during koch/kalu, but have enjoyed what i've heard from them. tbh i don't see how rockets fans still listen to 610.

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Greg and ND have great chemistry and aren't afraid of offending the texans like they are on 610. Definitely the best football show in town.

I don't even mind jay mohr so much for a national radio show. But being a national radio show, I'll never listen to it much. Morning show is good too and Matt Thomas is the best in the business. But, someone needs to talk to Charlie P, he makes my ears bleed

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I guess all Houston wants to do is talk all football all the time. We got to gear up for the draft. There is a major competition brewing for the third string left guard. They talk about pretty much the same thing everyday.

Can't the rockets get any love. After these ratings came out I am sure management will tell all hosts: no rockets talk allowed.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If I read all that right, I got the opposite impression. 610 is down from this time last year and 790 is up.

On another note, can we just shut the door on 1560 and be done with it? Why does that station still exist?

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Koch and Kalu have the highest rated show and its all football all the time.

7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Not surprised at all. Koch and Kalu show is all football and this is a football driven city.

I listen to 790 regularly but I never listen to Koch and Kalu because I'm simply not interested in football and the overdose of it.

I prefer Charlie as he seems to talk the most Rockets of anyone on 790. I listen to Lance and Adam only for their 10 minute interviews daily with a Rockets representative. Otherwise it's mostly football or silly Lance imitations or other random non sports related nonsense

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Ah. Don't listen, so I don't know. I just know 610 is looking a little vulnerable for the first time ever. And all they do it talk football.

9. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Thanks to Jay Mohr I was able to discover Seth and Adam, thiers is IMO the best sports talk in Houston right now. I ride to work listening to Lance and Adam, and I think that's really more so habit than anything else. I tolerate them, but regularly turn thier silly asses off. Charlie was a staple for me as well, but honestly, the guy can get pretty annoying. Almost like a less interesting Colin Cowherd.

Koch and Kalu are cool, I rarely catch thier show but I listen when I do. Same for Matt Thomas.

10. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I generally listen to 610, and then switch over at 4pm to listen to Charlie. I especially like the days when Bull joins. I find 790 unlistenable but I do admit that Koch and Kalu the best football coverage in the area and may switch over to them in the AMs I work from home.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Mohr sucks. I cannot get into his style.

ND and Greg are good
    Still not 100% into the Gentlemen of Sports . . . it is just. . meh

Rocket River

12. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

3-man crew...interesting.

Ted Johnson moving to KILT afternoon drive show

Ted Johnson will join KILT’s (610 AM) afternoon drive talk show beginning next Monday, and Brien Straw and Paul Gallant will co-host the station’s nighttime show, the CBS Radio station said.

Johnson, who has worked as an evening co-host since August 2013, will join Rich Lord and Sean Pendergast on the afternoon show, which will be expanded an hour and will air from 2 to 7 p.m. Straw and Gallant will work from 7 until 11 p.m.​

14. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

We just need a general Houston sports radio thread.

15. AkeemTheDreem86

Wow. I can't believe this is a real opinion.

16. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

Holy **** why is this show still on? Nd kalu just seriously asked who you would rather game for a sidekick....mchale, pippen...........or develodova. ****in pathetic

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

football town

18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

It is a football show exclusively. They only talk basketball if a caller brings it up. These are football players

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I don't understand how Koch and Kalu are so popular. I understand its a football oriented show, and they are former players (one of them a former Texan), but their show is just not good.

20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

are you sure he didn't say it tongue in cheek?