1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[espn]Felton, Knicks close to deal

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tinman, Jul 9, 2010.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=5367965
    By Chris Sheridan
    ESPN.com
    Archive

The New York Knicks' consolation prize after missing out on LeBron James will be point guard Raymond Felton.

Two league sources told ESPN.com that the Charlotte Bobcats' unrestricted free agent reached an agreement in principle Friday on the broad parameters of a contract.

The length of the deal has not yet been agreed upon, but Felton will earn a starting salary in the $7 million range.

Felton was widely considered the top free-agent point guard available in this summer's superstar-laden market. One of the other top free-agent playmakers, Steve Blake, came off the market earlier this week when he agreed to a four-year, $16 million deal with the Los Angeles Lakers.

The Bobcats selected Felton fifth overall in the 2005 NBA draft, and he has career averages of 13.3 points, 6.4 assists and 1.4 steals per game. He's proved to be durable, appearing in at least 78 games in each of his five seasons as Charlotte's starting point guard, and should bring stability to the Knicks' backcourt.

Felton joins Amare Stoudemire as the Knicks' two big free-agent signings of the summer, even though they failed to achieve their primary goal of getting James.

The sources said the deal is expected to be finalized over the weekend.

2. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Good deal for Felton and Knicks. They have a decent nucleus in my opinion. Not in the basement of the East anymore, that's for sure.

Felton/Douglas
    Chandler/Azibuke
    Gallinari
    Randolph
    Amare/Turiaf

Decent rotation. Very good run and gun unit.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm now totally satisfied with this flaming failure of a summer for the Knicks. Amare + Felton = Not even close to being a contender. A year ago, no way anybody thought these two would be their biggest signings.

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

not a bad signing for the Knicks, they will contend for the Playoffs next year IMO.

5. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Felton to Stoudamire strikes fear in my heart. Raymond Felton can literally pass the ball better than I can.

Picks and picks and picks and picks.

6. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Bad deal for them. They could have paid half for Ridnour and it would have been better. Hollinger thinks so, too.

7. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Knicks will miss playoffs.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Amare wont play center... its

Felton/douglas
    azubuike/walker
    gallinari/chandler
    amare/randolph
    curry/ turiaf

randolph and turiaf may switch as well...

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

curry is about as useful as a dead man in New York. I can't see him being on the court for them at all even if he is healthy. He's just an expiring contract now.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I didnt realize he missed that much time last season, is he still injured?....if he's healthy i think they'll give him significant time, too much money and they need to help amare in the front court...he wont be happy having someone shorter than him at center, especially if it means he'll have to play some minutes at the 5 too..

11. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Knicks have turn into Nellie ball V2.0.

Especially if Marrow goes there as well.

12. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

PG's seem to be getting payed less. That's good for the Rockets.

13. Chamillionaire

Felton is actually a damn good PG, IMO. he didn't exactly have great players in CHA. having Amare will help him a lot.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I didn't realize that they had quite a bit of money left after the proposed Lee trade. In addition to this they have Curry's expiring contract.

15. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Yeah sure, Curry's gonna start at center. AHAHAHAHA!

16. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

The Knicks picks have significantly worse value since we aquired them.

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

as bad as they are... tell me 8 teams in the east better than them? i can only come up with 6. orl, mia, chi, bos, atl, mil...

seriously, that roster is good for like 35-40 wins max. and yet they could be 7th seed?

18. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

That's why other teams didn't value the Knicks picks of ours as high as before. If we had these picks before the deadline this season, we would have net a better player than Martin.

19. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

good move by the knicks. they didn't overpay felton either. he's worth that price.

playing under a slow, defensive-minded larry brown, he put up 12 pts and 6 assists on 46%fg, 38% 3s.

under d'antoni, look for those to be inflated to something like 18 and 8. so he's worth the 7 mil.

look for them to make the playoffs as a lower seed.

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

I feel really bad for the Knicks. They cleared house, and stroke out. Mediocrity at best.

Good for our picks though. Hopefully Pritchard doesn't mess it up for us.